walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Winter skills intro

Winter skills intro

Postby Cameron94 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Hey guys I don't know wether I'm punching above my weight here, so I decided to ask you lot. Probably quite a stupid question but ahwell!

I was thinking about doing a two day winter skills course, with the idea being to pick up the skills in an instructed enviroment then honing the skills myself with experinced friends.
I have found one of the rare companies which is willing to take people under the age of 18, 'active outdoor pursuits' based in Avimore. It says in the info that you should have summer experince before attending the course, I wouldn't expect them to ask for anything less tbh!

So my two questions are;
How much summer experince should I have beforehand?
Can anyone give me feedback on activeoutdoorpursuits?
Cameron94

Re: Winter skills intro

Postby Milesy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 pm

It is probably just their way of making sure you are at least reaonsably fit and can handle a mountain environment. As long as you can do this I would not worry about it. Have fun.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby cookachoo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi there

Have you looked on the Mountaineering Council of Scotland site? They do lots of different courses including a winter skills one. The winter skills one is based at Glenmore Lodge.

Here is a link to the page. Worth comparing the prices.

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/winter-skills-courses.asp
cookachoo
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:99
Grahams:51   Donalds:48
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Cameron94 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:11 am

Hey thanks for your reply's I keep an eye out on whats happening with MCofS but I'm not 18 so I wouldn't be able to attend.

Thanks for the advice Milesy :)

Cameron
Cameron94

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:34 am

I think it depends on what you personally want to get out of your course and if the company can deliver that.
I've been on two courses - the first one in the Lake District was run by the YHA and the instructors were members of the local Mountain Rescue teams. We covered all aspects of map and compass work, basic ice axe arrest and some snow shelter building and snow holing (in a blizzard) - all great fun and not too strenuous as there were walkers of various levels of fitness.
The second course was at Glenmore Lodge - much more expensive, but much more comprehensive. There we covered correct choice of clothing and equipment, map and compass work ( in 50mph winds, poor visibility and snow) and pacing, up on the plateau. We did a fair amount on basic crampon technique (on both ice and snow), ice axe use (step cutting & self arrest), snow holing and avalanche risk assessment (spending a fair bit of time examining snow pack in a number of sites). The evenings were filled with lectures and slide shows by the resident instructors on safety, mountain weather, avalanche risk & much more. We were worked hard and it really tested my own fitness levels more than I thought, but these courses give you the confidence needed to enjoy walking at a different level.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:61
Wainwrights:68   Islands:31

Postby Alastair S » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:13 pm

I also did a Glenmore Lodge winter skills course (2 day weekend one) and would thoroughly recommend it. As they are the National Outdoor Centre it seems a real omission not to cater for the under-18s.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion