walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cycling to Beinn Bhrotain?

Cycling to Beinn Bhrotain?

Postby Marag » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm hoping to cycle to the foot of Beinn Bhrotain next weekend from Linn of Dee along the Dee river.
Its been a while since I walked this road and am interested if it is still passable by bike?
Has anybody cycled this road before?
Thanks,
marags.
Marag

Munros:206   Corbetts:4
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:2

Re: Cycling to Beinn Bhrotain?

Postby mountain coward » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:44 am

We cycled to just after White Bridge but, being totally inept mountain bikers, we attempted the track but it was a bit rough (although cyclable for anyone decent I would think) so we ditched the bikes and walked the rest. The cycle to White Bridge saved us a few miles - probably about 6 in total... Was quite a long day (we did Monadh Mor as well) and came back down the glen past Devil's Point (Geusachan?) - Richard complained like hell all the way back to the bikes:lol:
mountain coward

Postby Marag » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks Mountaincoward,
Marag
Marag

Postby Marag » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:53 am

Dear Mountain Coward,
I took your advice and left the bike about a mile from the White Bridge yesterday. Managed to get up Beinn Brotain but the weather came down like a ton of bricks and, since I was all on my lonesome, I chickened out of doing Monadh Mor and headed home. It was really good to get back to the bike and to coast back to the car. But the MIDGIES!!!!
Thanks again.
P.S. I dont suppose you know of the cycleability of the paths to Monadh Mor from the Glenfeshie side?
Marag

Postby alanm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:49 pm

Marag wrote:Dear Mountain Coward,

P.S. I dont suppose you know of the cycleability of the paths to Monadh Mor from the Glenfeshie side?

Was up the Sgor Gaoith and Mullach Clach a Bhlair just last week. Doubt the Allt Fhearnagan is cycleable but you could go further up the glen (theres a couple of river crossings) to the Allt Coire Chaoil. The landrover track up there is very steep (I would have to get off and push) but once you're on the plateau you could cycle across it for about 4km and on the way back going down would be great fun:) 8)
alanm

Munros:234   Corbetts:64
Grahams:47   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:60   Islands:39

Postby alanm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:54 pm

63 - Bulldozed road and Braeriach in cloud.JPG
alanm

Munros:234   Corbetts:64
Grahams:47   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:60   Islands:39

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion