walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Trig point removal

Trig point removal

Postby roughneck1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:28 am

I was trying to find information on the status of these blocks of reinforced concrete left on top of our hills. Does anyone know why the OS has not been starting to clear up the mess. They are obviously not in any use any more apart from that trig collecting thing. We could have them airlifted easily off the hills and put in a large field for the benefit of these people.

Anyone come across anything on this.
roughneck1
Stravaiging

Re: Trig point removal

Postby warbietoo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:52 am

I think of them as part of the history and heritage of our landscape. They have been around since 1936 and i have loads of great memories of reaching a top after seeing the prize from a good distance. Having 4 of us sheltering behind one on a windy day like we were in a canoe is one of them. :lol:
Just a pity so many are being vandalised or left in disrepair. :(
warbietoo
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby canisp » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:58 am

roughneck1 wrote:I was trying to find information on the status of these blocks of reinforced concrete left on top of our hills……

Anyone come across anything on this.

Some have a plaque on stating its an offence to damage it.

I don’t want them removed, they are the most reliable (know exactly where i‘m at) identifiable objects when i’m navigating in a whiteout.

Steve……
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby agentmancuso » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:27 pm

As Canisp has said, damaging trig points is technically an offence, though the OS seem reluctant to pursue any claim these days. In addition, several hundred are used as part of the positional network that tells your GPSr where you are. Trig points are also easily the most accurately sited set of objets on our hills, and so are an essential aid to navigation, whether by map & compass or GPSr.
agentmancuso
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:33
Fionas:50   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:153   Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:20   Islands:5

Postby roughneck1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:23 pm

="agentmancuso" In addition, several hundred are used as part of the positional network that tells your GPSr where you are. Trig points are also easily the most accurately sited set of objets on our hills, and so are an essential aid to navigation, whether by map & compass or GPSr.

Eh! You mean its not those things orbiting the Earth its really those concrete blocks giving off signals. Well I never, you learn something everyday. :lol:

Its really interesting how people react to something that is probably the most intrusive thing you could put on top of a mountain. ie Concrete and steel!
Think on it this way if we replaced them with a pylon it would be an improvement? It would be far more recognisable, not get buried and in a hundred years time folks would become attached to them because they have always been there :lol:

There are some that would like this way of thinking but maybe its just me but I see them as a block of concrete sitting in a beautiful place.
roughneck1
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Spread it around that they're full of metal - steel rebar and brass/bronze fittings and the Eastern Europeans who keep nicking manhole covers will soon clear them up for you... :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby agentmancuso » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:39 pm

:idea: :!: :!:
roughneck1 wrote:Eh! You mean its not those things orbiting the Earth its really those concrete blocks giving off signals. Well I never, you learn something everyday. :lol:

Have a think about just how the data sets with which satellites must be equipped to enable their sending (meaningful) signals are derived. :idea:
agentmancuso
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:33
Fionas:50   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:153   Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:20   Islands:5

Postby AlisonFox66 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:04 pm

I like them

unlike pylons you can climb them , rest your camera on them for a photo,

however you are not always on the summit when you reach one - Gulvain for example -surely the hill most often not bagged in error
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Red Peak » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:30 pm

AlisonFox66 wrote:I like them

Me too. They're a welcome sight after a long slog uphill, especially in thick clag :D

AlisonFox66 wrote:however you are not always on the summit when you reach one

Very true. Spidean Coire nan Clach on Beinn Eighe, for example, if memory serves me right.
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby snodland » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:32 pm

All hail to the people who went up, I believe during nightime to survey from these Trig Points and All hail to the people who trugged cement up mountains, hills, bog and yes into Maryhill Park,Glasgow to build these wonderful things - the last site is surely the scariest of places to site a trig point. They enabled our maps to be sound accurate representations of the reality of the land at a certain point when we didn't have satellittes whirring around the earth and I think for purely historical and evoloutionary (of human intelligence) record they are fan-bloody-tastic.

and....add one into your photo from the top and they add perspective, awareness of the view and your achievement in climbing to it (Maryhill Park excepted) but someting enormous to the picture - PLEASE KEEP THEM
Trig Point on Meikle Bin looking NW towards Aberfoyle and Crianlarich (1024x768).jpg
Trig Point on Castle Hill (1024x768).jpg
Attachments
Cir Mhor (l behind trig) and Caisteal Abhail (centre) from summit of Goatfell (1024x768).jpg
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Think you're in a minority of one (or single figures at best) wanting to see these removed. I rather like them myself - of particular interest having done some surveying in the past. Some job mapping a country!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby KeithS » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:34 pm

I would vote for keeping them. I have climbed up to many a hill and slumped down against the trig point. You can often see them from far off and they give you something to aim for (I know there are few trick ones which are not at the top but you tend to know which ones they are). There is something very satisfying when to trig comes into sight and you know the end is nigh. A photograph at the point where the trig point used to be wouldn't have the same impact to prove to friends that you made the top as to one leaning against the white concrete block.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby roughneck1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:35 pm

A block of concrete 400m3 is a wind turbine. In so many years you will say the same. :)

Are these the same people that hate turbines but love a monolith of concrete and steel to tell them its the summit. :lol:
roughneck1
Stravaiging

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:38 pm

I like trig-points !

For the fact that generally only one hill in an entire range has a trig-point, I am sure you can maybe put up with them. But if not, then tear them all down :D
Attachments
DSCF0353.JPG
Nutberry Trig :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:38 pm

They're not all concrete, I honestly think this little beauty adds to Lochnagar, I for one will remember this one for a very long time :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion