walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The boot at the bottom of the path to Meall na Teanga

The boot at the bottom of the path to Meall na Teanga

Postby AlisonFox66 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:54 pm

last year when climbing the Loch Lochy Munros , I noticed a boot on the boulder that marks where you turn off up the hill from the path along the Loch side

yesterday it was still there

The boot contains no limb or bone , this was thoroughly checked by the labrador with us :)
Does this boot symbolise something ?

I quite like it as a waymarker so I hope it stays there
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The boot at the bottom of the path to Meall na Teanga

Postby mgmt! » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:14 pm

i dont no why its there allison, funny thing was i had a pair of those boots, they dissapeared from my garage along with some other gear, a going away gift from my ex ! you can imagine my surprise when doing these hills in bleak winter day last year i came across THE BOOT, a feeling of de ja vue, came over me and i must admit i placed it beside my boot to check for size, was always looking over my back that day.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby magicdin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:25 am

Re the single boot
Bear with me on this one but I remember reading a post on a forum a few years ago
(Mountain Bothies Assoc forum I think)
About a bloke walking through the Lairig Ghru when the sole came off one of his boots.
A long way to walk out and a less than successful running repair.
Anyway the story goes that a few hundred yards further on he found on the top of a rock
A single boot - the exact same make - the exact same size- AND the correct foot :shock:

Don't think it was April 1st :wink: - apocryphal tale ?? - any old MBA forumites remember this ??
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby takoronga » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:07 am

[quote="magicdin"]

Anyway the story goes that a few hundred yards further on he found on the top of a rock
A single boot - the exact same make - the exact same size- AND the correct foot :shock:
quote]

oh, now I have the heebie jeebies : )
takoronga
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Not quite on the same scale of serendipitously-precise footwear-related ethereal giftage, but one time I went through the Lairigh Gru and, footsore and manky-of-sock, I found a nice new pair of socks, lying on top of the heather as if placed there specially. Blue, and smelling as if newly-laundered. And they fit both my feet! It's always a bonus to find some useful thing whilst out in the hills.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby magicdin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Not quite on the same scale of serendipitously-precise footwear-related ethereal giftage, but one time I went through the Lairigh Gru and, footsore and manky-of-sock, I found a nice new pair of socks, lying on top of the heather as if placed there specially. Blue, and smelling as if newly-laundered. And they fit both my feet! It's always a bonus to find some useful thing whilst out in the hills.

And we all thought you had a peg leg :shock:
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:22 pm

magicdin wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:Not quite on the same scale of serendipitously-precise footwear-related ethereal giftage, but one time I went through the Lairigh Gru and, footsore and manky-of-sock, I found a nice new pair of socks, lying on top of the heather as if placed there specially. Blue, and smelling as if newly-laundered. And they fit both my feet! It's always a bonus to find some useful thing whilst out in the hills.

And we all thought you had a peg leg :shock:

Nonsense.I am a fifty-stone Fijian woman.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Rekrab » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 pm

though so.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion