walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

wild camp question

wild camp question

Postby thand » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Guys

As the regular season is now well and truly closed I've started thinking about what I would like to do next year. Top of this is some 2 day walks with an overnight wild camp. This leads to the question what do people do for water? I assume people draw from streams but how do you identify a safe source and do people use purifying tablets etc? Or am I just being a wimp :-?

Any thoughts on this or other advice is more than welcome.

Cheers

Tom
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Re: wild camp question

Postby KeithS » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:31 pm

I always use water from streams. Make sure it is free running and I tend to have a good check upstream to make sure there are not any nasty dead things in there. I don't use tablets and have never had any problems, famous last words I know. You could always add whisky as an antiseptic measure of course.
KeithS
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:31

Postby thand » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:38 pm

Cheers Kev - I will man up and check for sheep carcasses. I assume the whisky should be local to the walk? :lol:
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:39 pm

ditto that. In the past year or so we have carried a 3 litre platypus pouch to fill up for the camp, especially if camping high up and carrying it a wee distance. As long as everyone carries on being sensible about where to deposit stuff that comes out the other end, our mountain water should stay fine. I wouldn't rely on it abroad though where there are nasty things like Giardia and suchlike
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:265   Corbetts:11
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Postby nathan79 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:11 pm

thand wrote:Cheers Kev - I will man up and check for sheep carcasses. I assume the whisky should be local to the walk? :lol:

The whisky needn't be local, but is is most definitely essential.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:29
Grahams:13   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   Islands:5

Postby kevsbald » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:30 pm

As a public health practitioner, we see a lot of gastro disease in Scotland - occasionally, we will see a case of Giardia or Crypto or VTEC from someone who has been in the hills and drunk from a stream. I would never promote this but things to look out for are:

if there are sheep or cattle above your source, prob best not to drink it especially from April to June (calving and lambing) - it is at this time when there a lot of pathogens in raw water. However, from September onwards, it tends to be better. I have drunk from streams which are higher up and fast flowing and fingers crossed. It also comes down to immunity - generally adults are immune to a point but children don't have the immunological experience that we have.

So, it's highly unlikely you'll get something but when you do, you'll know all about it.

Kev
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:125
Grahams:79   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Tradoch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Never had any problems. As already stated flowing water and check up stream for dead sheep.

What I always used to do, though, was regularly worm myself. I seemed to stay healthy enough.
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Munros:23   

Postby Frogwell » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Most of my life I've lived in houses that have water direct from burns, and on a number of occasions I've had to remove dead sheep from close above the inlet. A couple of times I've given the water a miss for a few days as the cows would cool off in the burn above the inlet - the water would come through green then.

I always just take water from whatever running source I can find when out and about. I find the difference in flavours quite interesting too. For instance I found Luibeg burn tasted really good, whereas Derry burn tasted sort of chalky and flat, despite being so close to each other (and indeed join at Derry Lodge to form Lui Water)

Despite all this, I'm not overly dead yet.

edit to add: I do also carry a small 10ml bottle of Milton fluid with me which I can use if ever I have to use standing water, plus it doubles as an antiseptic if I ever accidentally lose a limb or something.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:263   Corbetts:50
Grahams:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Rekrab » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:23 am

The faster flowing it is the safer it is, and also the colder it is the better.
on a really hot day avoid the slow flowing stuff!!!

I once had the squirts for 10 days after drinking dodgy water on the SUW in 2007.

MacKenzie.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:42 am

Rekrab wrote:The faster flowing it is the safer it is, and also the colder it is the better.
on a really hot day avoid the slow flowing stuff!!!

I once had the squirts for 10 days after drinking dodgy water on the SUW in 2007.

MacKenzie.

Wouldnae trust anything from that area unless it's really high hills. But when we took tablets on the west section they tasted alright and we also had these Lucozade powder things that made it taste good anyway. So if we had to collect water, purification tablet went in, let it fizz, then lucozade powder went in. Tasted pretty good.
Kevin29035

Munros:163   Corbetts:148
Grahams:59   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:7

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:53 am

Frogwell wrote: it doubles as an antiseptic if I ever accidentally lose a limb or something.

A man after me own heart... :D

Tradoch wrote:What I always used to do, though, was regularly worm myself.

What???? I mean, really, WHAT?

I once got the squits so bad, after drinking water from the Sligachan burn which had lain fermenting in a bottle in a hot car for days, that I was very ill for a week. Then it left me with such horrific marsh-gas flatulence that when I was back at work on an oil rig in the Danish Sector, which is bad for Hydrogen Sulphide,( a very toxic gas) I kept guffing off and activating the gas detectors and thus shutting down the rig, causing everyone to take to the muster stations and costing squillions of dollars in lost work time. Needless to say, I never owned up... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:21 am

Caberfeidh wrote: I once got the squits so bad, after drinking water from the Sligachan burn which had lain fermenting in a bottle in a hot car for days, that I was very ill for a week. Then it left me with such horrific marsh-gas flatulence that when I was back at work on an oil rig in the Danish Sector, which is bad for Hydrogen Sulphide,( a very toxic gas) I kept guffing off and activating the gas detectors and thus shutting down the rig, causing everyone to take to the muster stations and costing squillions of dollars in lost work time. Needless to say, I never owned up... :shock:

Strangley, I could actually believe that :lol:
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby Rekrab » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Needless to say, I never owned up...

you just did!!

MacKenzie
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby Tradoch » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Tradoch wrote:What I always used to do, though, was regularly worm myself.

What???? I mean, really, WHAT?

Worm. Littlewhite things that inhabit your gut. Give you an itchy arse :mrgreen:

Or if you're really unlucky a nice big tape worm, though that usually involves very rare steak. 8)

Only thing I ever got drinking stream water. The powder made a nice strawberry flavoured shake though :D
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Munros:23   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Is it just me, or has anybody else never wormed themselves ? Am I left out of something that everyone else does frequently? I thought that only happened to farmyard animals. Do you dip yourself every year too? :?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion