walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Path from A830 Polnish to Peanmeanach bothy

Path from A830 Polnish to Peanmeanach bothy

Postby bothybum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 am

Woulds it be possible to walk to bothy pushing a cycle and kids trailer along pathway outlined on map?
bothybum
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   

Re: Path from A830 Polnish to Peanmeanach bothy

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:52 am

You can see bits of the rough path in the route description for it. Don't think it would be much fun.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:36 am

bothybum wrote:Woulds it be possible to walk to bothy pushing a cycle and kids trailer along pathway outlined on map?

No - it is very rough, involves crossing a railway line, hiking over a reasonably high and exposed hill, skirting a loch and negotiating some oakwoods then a swamp. Also the bothy has a lot of rats - I woke one night to find the floor black with them. And you never know who is going to turn up - not a place for kids.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Dundreich » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 pm

bothybum wrote:Woulds it be possible to walk to bothy pushing a cycle and kids trailer along pathway outlined on map?

Definitely not ! It's a pretty rough route. Was there a couple of weeks ago and the path was hard to follow at the section (quite) near the start where one climbs uphill through a wood - parts looked to have been washed away.

Lot of work's been done on the bothy recently - stayed overnight, slept upstairs, didn't see or hear any rats.
Dundreich
Mountaineer

Postby bothybum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks for the advice guys,I think that's a no then,are there any bothies in the area with easier access, Oban?Sourlies? Maybe
bothybum
Hill Bagger

Postby Dundreich » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:40 pm

bothybum wrote:Thanks for the advice guys,I think that's a no then,are there any bothies in the area with easier access, Oban?Sourlies? Maybe

Corryhully bothy nr Glenfinnan is easy to get to by bike & with kids. It's about 3 miles up a tarmac estate road. Basic but has electricity.
Dundreich
Mountaineer

Postby bothybum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Dundreich
Activity: Walker

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:40 pm 
bothybum wrote
Thanks for the advice guys,I think that's a no then,are there any bothies in the area with easier access, Oban?Sourlies? Maybe

Corryhully bothy nr Glenfinnan is easy to get to by bike & with kids. It's about 3 miles up a tarmac estate road. Basic but has electricity.

Found it, thanks and with electricity, wow I can take my playstation 3 and tv, thanks again guys for the info
bothybum
Hill Bagger

Postby janeysdey » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:26 pm

bothybum wrote:Dundreich

Found it, thanks and with electricity, wow I can take my playstation 3 and tv, thanks again guys for the info

My bold

Hence the kiddy traler :lol: :lol: :lol:
janeysdey
Hill Bagger

Postby Liathach » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Don't forget your coins for the meter! Don't recollect whether it needs 50p or £1 coins. Not stayed there but have looked in and was amazed to see it had electricity. I wouldn't bother with your PlayStation though - think of the disappointment if there was a power cut!
Liathach

Postby KGBMC » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:16 pm

! Have I lost it! Iwent to last thread on topic and was asked if I had coins for the meter

Has peanmaenach been at last connected to the national grid

I hope not
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby Liathach » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:36 am

Not Peanmeanach - one of the suggestions was to use Corryhully which has electricity by pre-payment meter.
Liathach

Postby bothybum » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Oh guyssorry for the confusion,what have I started, maybe we should begin a petition to have all M.B.A bothies connected to national grip and mains water!!!
bothybum
Hill Bagger

Postby Essan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:33 pm

bothybum wrote:Oh guyssorry for the confusion,what have I started, maybe we should begin a petition to have all M.B.A bothies connected to national grip and mains water!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But seriously, if you're taking kids and a bike in to a bothy then the ones to consider are those which are actually on a forestry track. One that might be worth considering, other than Corryhully, is Taigh Seumas a Ghlinne in Glen Duror, just south of Ballachullish. Not too far and a good forest trail in.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/duror.shtml
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby bothybum » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks essan I will take a look now
bothybum
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion