walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Grassy slopes

Grassy slopes

Postby Boulderdash » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Did Sgurr nan Ceannaichean today (before it`s downgraded) and it`s yet another Munro that ends with a steep but grassy descent. What am I doing wrong as I always struggle with these and end up looking like a human slinky on the way down. Is there a technique? I hate these types of descent. Any tips? :mrgreen:
Boulderdash
Rambler

Munros:38   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Grassy slopes

Postby Stretch » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:31 pm

I was going to ask something similar. These types of descents do a real number on my knees. Always a ton of pain coming down after a long day. I've tried sort of stepping sideways instead of taking forward steps down the steep slopes and that sometimes eases the aching.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby legendaryjordan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Yeah it does stretch.

I was going to say, going down on an angle were your back is closer to the ground than your front, and encourage falls but since your ready, the falls wont be bad (only if your wearing gloves) because if you slip with your feet you have your hands low to the ground to hault you.

Staying low as well help your balance in this instance.
legendaryjordan
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:00 am

Staying low definitely... but if you're getting knee pain, you really need to try to develop the muscles in your thighs just above the knee as these are the ones which protect your knees - try conciously tensing them as you descend steep hills and using them to control the rate you put your weight onto your descending leg. My muscles have become really developed with the many long descents I do and so I don't get any knee trouble from descending at all (and don't say early days - I'm over 50 and been walking for over 20 years now!)...
mountain coward

Postby EmmaBemma » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:03 am

I do find myself leaning backwards naturally so that falls just involve impromptu sittings-down. I agree with MC about developing your thigh muscles too.
EmmaBemma
Wanderer

Munros:38   

Postby kinley » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:14 am

Look at stalkers paths on steep slopes - they zig-zag. On grassy slopes if you turn your angle of descent and zig-zag you'll usually find it much easier (in terms of slips and knees).

In terms of slips on grass - use a stick. Most grass/moss/vegetation slopes are saturated right now so will peel off and cause slips/falls. A stick makes a big difference.

I'd advise against leaning back/staying low - it reassures but in truth it puts your body axis in line with the slope and encourages slipping. That being said it slows you down so forward momentum is cut and slipping discouraged. It is however massively energy consumptive and tiring. If your head is OK with descent you're much better staying upright and using your legs as designed :)
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:24 am

You could always adopt the approach I used down Helvellyn once when it was slippery grass and I kept falling on my bum... put your waterproof trousers on, sit down, and sledge all the way down (whooping all the way). That has 3 benefits - people think you're completely nuts :D , you have a great time :D :D , and you don't fall on your bum! :D :D :lol: Seriously though, if you're going to do that, make sure you know your slope and that there are no crags on it... stray rocks could be quite uncomfortable too!
mountain coward

Postby Boulderdash » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:16 pm

I hear what you say about building up the thighs :? Will try traversing more but am still not convinced about poles or walking stick. I like to keep my hands free to grab passing clumps of heather or whatever is handy. Knees are singing a bit today but have been worse so maybe I`m on the right track. I could always take one of those plastic toboggans and cover myself in bubble wrap and just launch myself...... :D
Boulderdash
Rambler

Postby sloosh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Boulderdash wrote:... still not convinced about poles or walking stick.

You should try out a stick or pole of some sort. It's amazing how much strain they take off the knees when going downhill. Makes a huge difference and it's why I use one myself.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby monarchming » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:34 pm

It's got to be poles,it's like four-wheel drive.I have done about half of my Munros with them and I was very sceptical about the benefits of them but it was money well spent.Mountain King poles are hard to beat,approx £60 to £70 a pair.
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby benno » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:12 pm

I only use 1 pole. I find having two is only really helpful on long walks on landrover tracks - gives a bit of extra drive. Having two on steeper slopes just trips me up. And if you're contouring, one pole is always going to be far too long unless you adjust it, which personally I'm much to lazy to do!

As for grassy slopes, they can be a bit dodgy when there's been so much rain. My brother had a nasty slip on grass on Sgurr Mor in the Fannaichs, when the broken pole he had found at the summit and insisted on taking home provided him with an ice-axe style brake and may have saved his life! :shock: Might be better off with crampons and axe! :lol:

Steep descents? I'm with Kinley - zig zag. Also make sure you have decent tread on your soles, there's nothing worse than losing confidence in your boots when making a steep soggy descent.
Last edited by benno on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Yettie » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 pm

I agree with the comments about poles and zig-zagging. The poles dig into the ground and give you a firm anchor point. Going down a slope diagonally makes it easier to see where you're putting your feet. It also means that your momentum is at right-angles to the direction of a slip, so you're less likely to slide very far.
Yettie

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Boulderdash » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Okay, okay! I will try a pole on my next outing. Still not convinced though.... :lol:
Boulderdash
Rambler

Postby kinley » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:47 pm

Boulderdash wrote:Okay, okay! I will try a pole on my next outing. Still not convinced though.... :lol:

By all means carry on the way you've started - I'd love to see a human slinky :)
kinley

Postby Boulderdash » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:05 pm

kinley wrote:
Boulderdash wrote:Okay, okay! I will try a pole on my next outing. Still not convinced though.... :lol:

By all means carry on the way you've started - I'd love to see a human slinky :)

Yes well it cant be all hilarity and fun on the hills :? Besides it never ceases to amaze me that there can be a perfectly good stalkers path up to the summit but NOTHING on the way down??
Boulderdash
Rambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion