walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Eejit

Eejit

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:34 am

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Eejit

Postby monty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:40 am

Not sure you will get an answer to that one Caberfeidh :lol: :lol: :lol: And it wisnae me
monty

Postby smudger831 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 am

Wisnae me either. Reserve my walking for the better weather only. Probably the first week in July. If I'm lucky. :(
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby iainwatson » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:17 am

there will have to be some sort of fine imposed on people who are that under prepared and need the mountain rescue :evil:

for the cost of a map and compass(also knowledge to use them) there would have been no need for a rescue
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Cameron94 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:01 pm

iainwatson wrote:there will have to be some sort of fine imposed on people who are that under prepared and need the mountain rescue :evil:

for the cost of a map and compass(also knowledge to use them) there would have been no need for a rescue

By fining them you are taking away money which could be used for a navigation course. It would defeat the purpose you would still have people out on the hills doing irresponsible things partly because they are unable to get on a skills day.

I don't agree with giving fines for calling out mountain rescue, where would you draw the line as to how much gear you should have?
I think that people should be donating to mr after being helped out of trouble, how much they give is up to them.

Cameron
Cameron94

Postby jester » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:17 pm

can't wait to read the walk report for that one! :lol:
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Fudgie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Not guilty :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby AlisonFox66 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:07 pm

If I had a fiver for every time I have gone up Ben Cleuch without a map , I could pay any flippin' fine
I travel light on my local hill - spare food probably and a waterproof , crampons and axe in winter
and well equipped before I start

however I don't like Ben Ledi much , just that 160m higher makes all the difference

This case was probably just unlucky, don't be so harsh
Last edited by AlisonFox66 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby EmmaTowle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Its not harsh! Hes clearly a muppet. Packing light and not taking extra clothing or food is clearly just stupid! Its chuffing Winter!
EmmaTowle
Ambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Kevin29035 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 pm

I've lost count of how many times I took a picture of the map because I don't own any, or left it all at home. Shoot me. :twisted:

Common sense is one of your biggest assets. The guy could have been way out his depth, he could also have been on his several hundredth ascent of that hill. All I can say is I'll bet at the time the guy wished he'd even just packed a compass! But I would not shoot him down in flames, nor get into the old mountain rescue debate... 1) I'll leave that to the rescuers to decide. 2) I'm always brought back to the image a guy in my mountaineering club of a fat guy sitting in the pub giving "Why the **** would you climb up a mountain, that's just wasting taxpayers money when you'll obviously have to get rescued."

Cue laugh at fat guy, because he just missed the point...
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Matthew C » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:44 pm

EmmaTowle wrote:Its not harsh! Hes clearly a muppet. Packing light and not taking extra clothing or food is clearly just stupid! Its chuffing Winter!

I can agree with some of what Kevin29035 said, however Emma kind of nail's it in that:-
1) It is winter.
2) The weather over the last month has been C**P to put it politle.
3) General avalanch risk has been high ?
4)He may well be experianced, in which case it makes him a KING sized muppet.

Oh & by the way it wasny me :lol: :lol:
Matthew C
Mountain Walker

Munros:177   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby sloosh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 pm

jester wrote:can't wait to read the walk report for that one! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

All things said the guy in question simply got complacent as he'd climbed the same hill many times before.

Hands up anyone who has never had one of those "oh ya fecker, that could have turned out badly!" moments on a hill because they were a wee bit complacent or made a stupid decision.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mgmt! » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:52 pm

jester"

Hands up anyone who has never had one of those "oh ya fecker, that could have turned out badly!" moments on a hill because they were a wee bit complacent or made a stupid decision.[/quote].

nobody can be blamed for being a bit complacent or maybe out of their depth. i think the police reaction was one of him being up there without the correct equipment, which is a different argument. if you go on a hill summer or winter, dont have the right equipment and need to be rescued you should be fined, and if need be barred from going back until you have the said equipment and the knowledge to use it.

[quote="Cameron94 wrote:

By fining them you are taking away money which could be used for a navigation course. It would defeat the purpose you would still have people out on the hills doing irresponsible things partly because they are unable to get on a skills day.

I don't agree with giving fines for calling out mountain rescue, where would you draw the line as to how much gear you should have?
I think that people should be donating to mr after being helped out of trouble, how much they give is up to them.

Cameron

cameron, i dont hink a skills day makes you an expert in map reading, navigation or anything else, they wouldnt let you out driving on the road with a one day skills course ?

ohh and no it wasnt me
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Rekrab » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm

we went out in good vis yesterday I had Compass, GPS and one of us brought a photo copy of the map.
wasn't really comfortable with that but the vis was great so we got on with it and had a good day out. if the cloud was down I would have bought a map at the bottom first.

the fact that I wasn't comfortable with it from the start could have been a mistake but I chanced it and we had a great day out.

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby AlisonFox66 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:18 pm

all things said the guy in question simply got complacent as he'd climbed the same hill many times before.

Hands up anyone who has never had one of those "oh ya fecker, that could have turned out badly!" moments on a hill because they were a wee bit complacent or made a stupid decision.

well my hands are staying down
of course we have days like that , it is part of hillwalking

in fact it is good to have days like that as it makes us stronger and more aware for the next time
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion