walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Photo Competition

Re: Photo Competition

Postby pgrizz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:03 pm

I haven't read through all replies but could the first poster put 1 before their title and name , the second poster put 2 and so on. This way will make it easier to vote (and tally). If this has already been suggested , sorry. Looking forward to a lively thread, I am sure there will be plenty good pictures to vote for.
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:143   

Postby alanbatty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:14 pm

pgrizz wrote:I haven't read through all replies but could the first poster put 1 before their title and name , the second poster put 2 and so on. This way will make it easier to vote (and tally). If this has already been suggested , sorry. Looking forward to a lively thread, I am sure there will be plenty good pictures to vote for.

Also, could people please not quote replies with photographs as the thread then becomes quite a trawl to get through? :?

:)
alanbatty
Mountaineer

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby RicKamila » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:13 pm

pgrizz wrote:I haven't read through all replies but could the first poster put 1 before their title and name , the second poster put 2 and so on. This way will make it easier to vote (and tally). If this has already been suggested , sorry. Looking forward to a lively thread, I am sure there will be plenty good pictures to vote for.

Nope, cos you could get the situation where two photos could be submitted at the same time and then the numbering system gets out of order.

When I start the entry thread next week, there will be details of how to enter and what not to do. You just post the users name when voting and I will tally them all up and announce the winner(s).

Comments will be restricted to a seperate thread called Photo Competition - Comments.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby RicKamila » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:57 pm

The poll has now closed, thanks to all who voted. The photo competitions theme will be PHOTOS FROM THE PREVIOUS MONTH.

I will start a thread at the beginning of each month. So that everyone is aware of how to enter, you will find details below. I will put them in every thread to remind you though.

HOW TO ENTER:

User's may submit ONE photo only from the previous month.
You have until the 15th of the month to enter a photo.
Any photos entered after the cut off time are ineligible to be voted on.
Photos must be your own and can be from anywhere in the world provided they are of an outdoor nature.
You must list the location and date taken.
In the interest of fairness, please declare if you have used photo editing software.

COMMENTS MUST NOT BE MADE ON PHOTOS DURING ENTRY PERIOD IN ORDER TO KEEP PHOTOS TOGETHER FOR EASIER VOTING.

Comments can be made in the thread - Photo Competition Comments.

TO VOTE:

Voting is open for 10 days after the submissions period has finished.
Votes made after the cut off time will not count.
If a user has entered more than one photo, votes count only for the first one entered.
Post only the username of the photo you want to win.
You can not vote for your own photo.

COMMENTS MUST NOT BE MADE ON PHOTOS DURING VOTING PERIOD.

Comments can be made in the thread - Photo Competition Comments

WINNING PHOTO(S)

The winner will be the photo with the most votes as counted and verified by RicKamila. In the event of there being more the one with the most votes, all photos on that score will win. The winning photo(s) will be entered in to a vote in December for Photo of the Year, where the overall winner will receive a certificate.

Good Luck!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby mountainstar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Are you going to say that you can include the camera details with your entry?
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby RicKamila » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:43 pm

mountainstar wrote:Are you going to say that you can include the camera details with your entry?

Yep, you can also add your camera details in with the entry if you wish. I forgot to put that in :roll: :oops:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby canisp » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:52 pm

RicKamila wrote:In the interest of fairness……

Is it fair X has a top of the range DSLR, Y has a point and shoot and Z a camera phone. Of course not its just life.

RicKamila wrote:……please declare if you have used photo editing software.

How will declaring use of an editing program make anything more fair. Are points going to be deducted if someone says they rotated a photo to level the horizon or brighten an underexposed photo to make it look more natural.

Processing the data is all part of the art of photography, some let the camera do it, some do it themselves, not fair or unfair just life.

Good luck with the competition
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:17 pm

I think photo editing only needs mention if it's advanced stuff like a 90 second shutter, HDR, filters and all that high tech stuff.

I edit every single photo. This begins before I snap a pic by using different camera settings- folk get too hung up on post production with photoshop but most "editing" is done in the camera. I then make minor tweaks to almost every pic - but nothing fancy, I just mean basic cropping, horizon leveling, contrast balancing, sharpness. Basic stuff to make the pic look more like it should and how my eyeball seen it.

Canisp makes some good points above.

Perhaps submitted photos only need to declare if they have used advanced editing/high tech/non-standard equipment.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 pm

it is however interesting and helpful to those who are not photo experts to know what others have done with their pics to make them so magnificent.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby RicKamila » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Guys, it's up to your good selves to decide if you want to declare the use of photo editing software or not. Rules aren't going to please everyone and we've already had loads of discussions about this and that over the past few days and it's starting to get a bit annoying not only for myself, but for the people that just want to enter a nice photo. :?

Surely it's not a problem if you've used Photoshop to edit something and then just adding a comment like - used Photoshop to sharpen contrast or 100mm lense used for 90 second blur. Most of my photos are taken by a good mobile phone camera and occasionally I will change the settings on my phone, I have no problem declaring that I sharpened contrast etc. Im more likely to vote for a simple point and shoot photo than an over the top photo anyway.

These are just general rules for a simple competition that isnt for a prize, just for bragging rights for an entire month.

As for person X owning a state of the art camera, person Y owning a point and shoot and person z owning a mobile phone, well thats life. I own all 3, but theres no way Im lugging my expensive camera around the hills when my point and shoot or mobile phone can take decent photos.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby canisp » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:07 pm

RicKamila wrote:……and it's starting to get a bit annoying……

My apologies

Steve……
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby RicKamila » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:12 pm

canisp wrote:
RicKamila wrote:……and it's starting to get a bit annoying……

My apologies

Steve……

No need to apologies. It just feels like its been going around in circles. Obviously if it were for a prize, then yes, we'd have proper rules. Good luck in the competition, Im looking forward to seeing yours and everyone elses photos.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:40 pm

And kudos to you RicKamila for organising it
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby RicKamila » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 pm

An idea for tweeking the competition.

It seems to have started fast, but then slowed down after 5 days and as we get near the end of the photo submissions, its dried up a bit. Is 15 days too long for entries, or should we make it that you have the first seven days to prepare your photos, then from 8th to 15th you post your photo, then voting is 16th to 25th?

Or are you happy as it is so far??
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby clivegrif » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Hello Ric
Up to the 15th to submit, 16th on to vote.

Keep it simple - it seems to be working!

Good luck with the voting phase
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion