walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

into the wild

into the wild

Postby rogers » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:01 am

A sad reminder of just how dangerous the Great Outdoors can be.

Adventurer trying to live like Bear Grylls in Scottish wilderness found dead.

Published on Saturday 21 January 2012 12:35
news.scotsman.com

A MAN found dead in a remote bothy is thought to have been an adventurer who hoped to spend a year living alone in the Scottish wilderness.

David Austin, 29, from Derby, was found dead in a hut by a railway worker a mile south of one of Scotland’s most remote stations, Rannoch in Highland Perthshire, on Hogmanay.

His body is believed to have been lying there for several weeks when it was discovered, and a post-mortem examination found there were no suspicious circumstances behind his death.

Mr Austin is thought to have told family in November that he was heading to the Highlands to live out his dream of surviving in the wilderness.

He planned to live rough on a year-long adventure, using techniques like those used by adventurer and TV presenter Bear Grylls, despite being urged to reconsider by family and friends.

He is understood to have attended several courses in outdoor survival and bushcraft skills over the past couple of years with a view to realising a long-held dream of living alone in the wild.

Mr Austin is thought to not even have taken a mobile phone with him.

A number of personal possessions including a knife and a daily journal were found next to his body. It is believed he may have died of hypothermia.

After leaving Derby, Mr Austin is thought to have travelled to Glasgow and then on to Corrour – which is the UK’s highest mainline station – on the West Highland line.

He is then believed to have spent his 29th birthday on 3 December alone outdoors, in the first heavy snowfall of the season.

A hostel employee at the Loch Ossian SYHA hostel on Rannoch Moor, said: “He didn’t stay here. He told me he’d been camping in the woods on the north side of the loch that weekend, then he just mosied over to have a look at the hostel.”

Mary McArthur, one of only four permanent residents in the Rannoch station area, said: “The story we heard was that he had taken a year out from work and was going to live off the land.

“And he was supposed to have walked down the line towards Rannoch station so perhaps he decided to take shelter in the bothy.

“But what happened after that, who knows? We heard he was well equipped and knew what he was doing.

“We heard there were no suspicious circumstances but weren’t sure if it was hypothermia, or a health complaint.

“At the end of the day, it’s someone’s son and a sad way to go in the middle of nowhere all alone.”

His body was found in a remote bothy used by track inspection workers.

A British Transport Police spokesman confirmed the man had been identified as a 29-year-old man from the east Midlands, and that there appeared to be no suspicious circumstances.

A Crown Office spokesman confirmed the procurator fiscal in Perth had recently received a report from BTP but was unable to provide any further details.

Rannoch is an isolated north-west section of Highland Perthshire between the A9 to the east and the A82 to the west, featuring the famous West Highland Railway line that crosses more than 23 miles of moorland.

Survival school instructor Ian Moran, who teaches extreme survival and bushcraft skills, said that it was extremely unlikely anybody could survive a Highland winter outdoors by living off the land.

He said: “It would be a tall order for even the most professional person who calls himself a survivalist.

“Maybe centuries ago, when Scotland was covered in woodland and teeming with wildlife, but not now.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: into the wild

Postby KeithS » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:06 am

How sad :cry:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby sloosh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:21 am

Aye, tragic indeed. I don't think the guy planned on living off the land as some people would have us believe.

Looks like hypothermia got him.

"There but for the grace of God goes me," says the old saying.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby daveh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 am

Sad news
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby monty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Poor guy
monty

Postby Tom Weir's Bunnet » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Very sad.

I was going to post this on Friday night. When I saw the story I had a feeling that the guy had perhaps posted that he planned to do this on a thread in here last year. Could be mistaken though.
Tom Weir's Bunnet
Mountain Walker

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Rekrab » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Living off the land in the winter in Rannoch would be very tough.
even people who used to live off the land would work non-stop all summer hunting and preserving food for the winter.
i.e drying and preserving fish, meat, & herbs.
he also would have needed a good supply of very fatty food to help him keep warm.

you gotta give it to the guy for going out and giving it a go as it must have been a dream.

MacKenzie.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:17 am

Some years ago while spending a night in Knockdamph bothy I came across a young Dutchman who, having been turned down by the Dutch army, was hoping to have them reconsider by spending a month in Scotland "living of the land" to show how tough and resourceful he was. Despite being armed with a high powered catapult, a telescopic fishing rod and a "survival knife" of truly macho proportions, after less than a week he was having a thin time of it and was grateful for the food I offered him. Last I saw of him he was in a public phone box in Ullapool calling his mum to say he was coming home early.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 pm

How terribly sad, to die so young even when 'living your dream' is such a waste :cry:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby KGBMC » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Whilst up in FW today met the Hermit from Loch Treig and got the true story

It appears the young lad had taken temporary shelter in a railway hut South of Corrour and succumbed to the bitter cold despite being equipped

What a waste of a young life with so much to look forward to

RIP
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby fasgadh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Would that be Ken o' the Staonaig. He lived in the house up the glen from Craiguanaich Lodge and then built a log cabin in the wood between railway and loch. If so, how is he doing.
fasgadh

Munros:92   Corbetts:85
Fionas:175   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:180   

Postby KGBMC » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Do not know his name, always known as the Hermit,

Yes he has a log cabin tween railway and loch treig

We shared tales of when Tom Rigg walked over from Ossian for a "wee" taste of home made wine 16% proof

He has 65 gallons , not drinking so much since Tom left and now lives in Roy Bridge

The hermit is looking well despite suffering from various cancers and still manages down to the Fort for provisions

He had a 75 ltre sack full, better man than me
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby Mancunian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:19 am

What a sad story indeed.

I must admit that I had dreams like that as well. Nothing as serious as spending a year in the highlands and living off the land. It must have been a real effort to convince everyone back home that this is the dream he wanted to live. Its even harder to admit a fail and I'm sure he just didnt realise the danger he was in. And in the end he had no return ticket/bailout plan (like a mobile phone or one of these GPS beacons) and was too far away from civilisation to search for help.

Its such a waste of life and I feel really sorry for his family. Must have been horrible to lie in that bothy alone knowing that you are not gonna make it out.
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby sloosh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Mancunian wrote:Must have been horrible to lie in that bothy alone knowing that you are not gonna make it out.

He probably didn't know anything about it tbh. Most likely he lay down to sleep and didn't wake up again.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:51 pm

sloosh wrote:
Mancunian wrote:Must have been horrible to lie in that bothy alone knowing that you are not gonna make it out.

He probably didn't know anything about it tbh. Most likely he lay down to sleep and didn't wake up again.

Likely, and if he didn't go in his sleep, hypothermia seems to have an odd blunting of the mind. A total shame. Just seems a bit worrying that you can go to sleep and die in your sleep because you're cold... I seem to wake up when I'm too cold.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion