walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Baby Carriers....

Baby Carriers....

Postby simpson348 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi all
Any tips for getting Kids used to being carried about in a rucksack style baby carrier?
simpson348
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Baby Carriers....

Postby KeithS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Carry them about in a rucksack style baby carrier. That should do the trick. :lol:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Mancunian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:31 am

I carried my daughter in a rucksack style carrier (deuter kid comfort 2) when she was 11 months old. First thing I tried was to put her in the thing a home so that she could get used to the feel of the carrier. When she was ok with being in the carrier I went for a short stroll into town to see if she is comfortable with that. When she didnt complain/cry we carried her around on our holiday trip.
When walking around the baby should be carried no longer than 4 hrs a day and I always checked that the nappies are dry.
My daughter loved it and even slept in the carrier.
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Avocetboy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Mancunian wrote: I always checked that the nappies are dry.

Good tip that. We did'nt and ended up with an incedible mess and a very sore arse in the woods above arrochar.

We used one from 6 months to about 3 years. The little one loved it, apart from if it was windy. We abandoned a trek up Ben Lomond on one occasion as the wind was causing him considerable discomfort.
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby dodec » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Even when they are happy in the carrier the wind can upset them, so if you have a rain cover on the carrier that will come in handy to cut out being buffeted by the wind. If you haven't you could modify a pushchair rain cover, that's what i did for ours so that it's supported by the sun shade, but is still open at the front to let them breathe....very important that :shock:
I've also found it's good for them to have a little toy attached to the carrier with a karabiner (saves having to retrace your steps half way up the mountain to pick up Peppa Pig) so they have something of interest....also talk to them whilst you walk, especially if they're a little older.
dodec
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:6   

Postby alanbatty » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:47 pm

I took my youngest son, Dylan, up Hill of Foudland in Aberdeenshire when he was about 7 months old (late November last year). I carried him in a front-mounted baby carrier with him facing towards me as was best for his size at the time.
He was quite happy in there and didn't mind the wind in his hair (must be genetic :) ).

He is just over 9 months old now and much bigger so I would put him in the carrier again but forward facing. I haven't been out with him over the winter due to the cold so I'm yet to see how things would fare.
alanbatty
Mountaineer

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 pm

you need to be careful with babes in backpacks that they are very well wrapped up, you will be making heat with walking but they are not. All my 3 went in the backpack as soon as they could sit till I couldnt carry them any more, and loved it. there was a story some years ago of a man going skiing with his baby in the pack and it died of hypothermia when he was toasty warm. not sure if it's an urban myth but I think it is possible.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby morag1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 pm

I tried a baby carrier for my children and didnt have a good experience so my advice would be dont bother - save your money.

The first few times went well, but it's surprising how quickly a small child grows and how heavy they become. Very soon they are kicking away and want out, once they get out they dont want to go back in again!!

Best thing is to invest in an all-terrain baby buggy. Although expensive, they are suitable for small babies right up to toddlers, and keep the wee ones warm and dry if you are out walking in wind and rain. Another advantage is that you can let the toddlers out to run about, once they get tired they will climb back in themselves and you can continue your walk with them fast asleep!!
morag1

Postby Rekrab » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 pm

we took our Daughter for her first Wild camp/ Munro when she was 4 months old.
she's been carried up about 12 times over 3000ft.
28364_10150195525885578_607500577_12589883_5801804_n.jpg
Ben Lawers 2nd munro for kate 2 in one day!!!!!!

28364_10150195525295578_607500577_12589837_2740992_n.jpg
wild camp
190306_10150454001855578_607500577_17715952_4752487_n.jpg
Kate and dad on the western slopes of y garn with tryfan in the back.

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:04 am

Avocetboy wrote:
Mancunian wrote: I always checked that the nappies are dry.

Good tip that. We did'nt and ended up with an incedible mess and a very sore arse in the woods above arrochar.

Yes but what does this have to do with baby carriers?! :shock: :?
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Mancunian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:59 am

BoyVertiginous wrote:Yes but what does this have to do with baby carriers?! :shock: :?

Well, the little ones are sitting only on a small strap running from the front to the back between their legs, which is roughly 8-10cm wide, a wee bit cushioned but in the end far from being very comfortable. When being carried around the carrier and the baby will be under constant movement. In case the nappies are full :sick: the "content" will be smeared constantly over the skin and this will damage and irritate the skin and the baby certainly wont like that. The longer the baby sits in the carrier with full nappies the more sore the skin will be which in turn results in a crying baby and somewhat reduced fun on the beautiful day out. :( :( And every dad/mum knows that its not even easy to ingore the cries from other babies but when the own baby cries its very hard to ignore that. And just one more point. Once the bum is sore its also no fun placing the baby back into the carrier because it will be painful.
Ok, enough said...where is my breakfast :wink:
PS: Sorry for my english but to be honest I've written bout programmable logic controllers and stuff but never ever about sore baby bums. :wink:
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion