walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorm John

Cairngorm John

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 pm

I have just finished reading this excellent book which was recommended by somebody on here, might have been Milesy, definitely worth a read, it is very well written, and salutory lessons on setting off into the hills especially in winter. I think should be required reading. I got it from Amazon
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Cairngorm John

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Absolutely required reading. a fantastic book which is informative, entertaining, heartbreaking and inspiring all in equal measure.

I met the great man whilst doing my Dof E at Harris Academy and both he and the rest of the Cairngorm MRT could not have done more for us.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Seamus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm with you on that one guys, a great book.
Seamus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:1

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Agreed . On a similar note ,I recently read 'The Black Cloud ' by I.D.S.Thomson ,a fairly grim account of tragedies in the Scottish hills from 1928 to 1966. There is some facinating history but many of the issues are still relevant today ,not a cheery wee bedtime read . :(
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby LDPWalker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:38 pm

mrssanta wrote:I have just finished reading this excellent book which was recommended by somebody on here, might have been Milesy, definitely worth a read, it is very well written, and salutory lessons on setting off into the hills especially in winter. I think should be required reading. I got it from Amazon

Any clues to the title of the book (or am I missing something here.....???)
LDPWalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:45 pm

I went to see him when he did a lecture at the AK Bell Library in Perth a couple of years ago. Think it was probably to promote the book. Anyway, he wasn't the most charismatic public speaker I've ever seen, but he told some fascinating and sobering stories. Haven't read the book yet but must get around to it.

Mountains of the Mind (Robert MacFarlane) would be my favourite. A superb blend of history and geology and a compelling story of mankind's often fatal attraction to high mountains. Quite a few gruesome tales of accidents too, mostly on early ascents of Mont Blanc.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby fraochydug » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:52 pm

LDPWalker wrote:Any clues to the title of the book (or am I missing something here.....???)

Cairngorm John: A Life in Mountain Rescue (i googled it)
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby Matthew C » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:46 pm

LDPWalker wrote:
mrssanta wrote:I have just finished reading this excellent book which was recommended by somebody on here, might have been Milesy, definitely worth a read, it is very well written, and salutory lessons on setting off into the hills especially in winter. I think should be required reading. I got it from Amazon

Any clues to the title of the book (or am I missing something here.....???)

Yes it's the title of the book, but also his radio call sign when co-ordinating rescue teams.
Matthew C
Mountain Walker

Munros:177   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby tony.cee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:14 pm

briliant book, when i picked it up, i thought it would be full of tutting and head shaking. nothing further from the truth.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby harry hill » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:18 pm

After reading references to Cairngorm John on another thread, I googled him & bought the book.
I really enjoyed it. The take home messages for me were, we should always be well prepared before heading into the hills, but misfortune can befall anyone. He tells some tragic tales, but your left with great admiration for the mountain rescue teams.
harry hill
Ambler

Munros:236   Corbetts:21
Fionas:28   Donalds:89

Postby KGBMC » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Half way through the book I got from Amazon on Sat

Great reading !
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Great read and insight into the role and commitment of the MR. Quickest book I've read in a long time :D
Louise
Hill Bagger

Munros:91   Corbetts:11
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:10   

Postby EwaMH » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm two thirds of the way into this book and second everyone elses thoughts of it being a great read, making me (only just I'm sure!) begin to understand (and admire) what the MRT's do. Some sobering stories too making me realise how lucky we all are when days out go well :)
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:34   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby alanbatty » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Got it from the library last Thursday and finished it by Sunday, couldn't put it down. I really admired the way he recounted his tales and never thought the worst of anyone, just made me realise how professional these guys are.
alanbatty
Mountaineer

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ridgerunner » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Plenty of human interest in the book to make it a good read.
It was an eye opener to discover how long most injured people spend on the hills before rescue teams reach them and It made me reassess what i carry on the hills and i have since bought a Rab Xenon jacket to leave in my rucksack, a waterproof map holder and quadrupled my supply of spare mars bars.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion