walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ticks and Lyme Disease

Re: Ticks and Lyme Disease

Postby saddie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 pm

mrssanta wrote:
fraochydug wrote: shiny white Scottish legs probably scare them away

we need to expose some nice scottish skin for making enough vitamin D :lol: :lol: :lol:

There ain't no way my white scottish legs are getting shown in public!!! no one deserves to see that....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
saddie

Postby saddie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 pm

starrynights wrote:
saddie wrote:As for the Tick Twister.....tisk tisk ...who didn't read the instructions...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

saddie wrote:Advantix lasts longer than two weeks, I am pretty sure it is 4 weeks, I will double check that tomorrow for you. I know that if you are late doing it the ticks will take advantage. Our wee Cocker looks all greasy after doing her, such a big vile for a wee dog!! :shock: have to say not heard of the vinegar one...again I will check this one for you, see if anyone else has heard it.

I will tell my GP - see what she thinks.
I thought Advantix lasted 4 weeks - but was told by my vet, when I mentioned my dogs still getting the occasional tick, that it wears off after 2. Obviously the stuffs too potent and toxic to apply more often than monthly. I would much rather find a natural alternative - not too keen on putting such nasty chemicals on my dogs. Will read up about Billy No Mates and let you know the outcome. And the vinnegar alternative.

Your dogs look gorgeous. Remarkable resemblance between your black pup and my retriever when he was a pup. Have attached a pic. Fully understand you keeping 2 - I couldn't be without mine.
nikon pics 011.jpg

What bonnie dogs you have, and I would never be without my gang...fowk think were crazy having 5 dogs...but I love them all. We didn't plan on keeping 2 from the litter, but we need more working dogs...so why not keep one more of our own. We are very lucky that Tarn is such a chilled out cocker...not the usual :lol: :lol: hopefully her pups will be the same...so far so good. Have to say it was an amazing experience being with Tarn when she whelped...she was such a star, didn't make a single sound. She is just a wee dog 11.8kg and the total weight of purely the pups was 2.5kg...bless she was a star. It is lovely seeing the pups personalities coming out now....but my they are pure mischief! :lol: but they always can make me laugh...and with Cockers were never short of cuddles....

Let me know how you get on with your doctor, and if we can help just shout. As well as Billy no Mates you could try Calendula Oil or Flea or Die Shampoo. both are natural and can be used with any spot ons. Be great to hear how your dogs get on. I like to know how fowk get on with things, gives me more information to pass on to those that we speak to at the shows we do. :)
saddie

Postby saddie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Well it is day 4 of Tick Bite Prevention Week......and so far we have had a great week....we are doing a wee competition every day for fun...and a wee prize for the first two winners....Could you guys have a read at the article below, the information is going to be of great use to us at BADA.....would be great the scottish guys would fill it in.....

On the subject of ticks and Lyme disease, you may be interested to know that a leading Scottish life sciences company called Xeroshield is currently looking for members of the public who live and/or work in Scotland to take five minutes to fill out a simple online survey as part of a major new study.

Xeroshield is exploring the development of a device to remove ticks from humans and pets, combined with a laboratory service for the detection of Lyme disease in ticks collected and immobilised using this device. The study is designed to assess the potential market for such a product and service. But it is also expected to generate valuable data about general awareness of ticks and Lyme disease in Scotland.

The survey asks a series of very straightforward questions about people’s own experience of ticks and Lyme disease in Scotland. Xeroshield is keen to hear from anyone who spends long periods of time outdoors for work or leisure and is therefore at higher risk of being bitten by ticks.

At a later stage, Xeroshield also plans to carry out more detailed interviews and focus groups and would be particularly interested to hear from anyone willing to participate in these later this year.

If you live and/or work in Scotland, would like to find out more about this project, and to complete the ticks and Lyme disease survey online, please visit: xerolyme.wordpress.com.
saddie

Postby Milesy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks...

I had my first tick of the season from Cort ma law last Saturday. Only noticed it on tuesday night so it has transferred from something else afterwards I think. Wee bar steward.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby missMHK » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:11 pm

I got my first (and hopefully last) tick last year at the Red Squirrell in Glencoe. Funny thing was I had trousers tucked into my socks, a long sleeve top and a hoodie on the whole time. I remember having an itchy upper arm in my sleeping bag but couldn't be arsed freeing myself from my cocoon to give it a proper scratch.. it wasn't until I was brushing my teeth the next morning wearing a vest top that I spotted it in the mirror, it was buried in so deep it was just it's bum & waggling legs sticking out.

Lucky there was a group next to us with a tick remover and the lady pulled it out in one go.

I still can't figure out how the wee bugger got there, so just wanted to say that it's still worth checking yourself even if you have been covered up. Take it from me.. it still gives me the boak when I think about it!
missMHK

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby mrssanta » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:36 pm

missMHK wrote:I still can't figure out how the wee bugger got there, so just wanted to say that it's still worth checking yourself even if you have been covered up. Take it from me.. it still gives me the boak when I think about it!

these things are Evil. It got there because it has Evil Powers.

seriously though, they have the astounding ability to get through stuff. always worth checking yourself.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby saddie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:00 pm

They are sure are persistent wee blighters.......tucking socks into trousers etc does help stop most to them...but some are just so determined they will find a way....a "Tick buddy" is a rather handy person to have....and have to say can be rather fun!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
saddie

Postby scoob999 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:30 am

Got bitten by a Tick this morning ! :shock:
First time for years, i have stuck it on some cellotape just in case
I am still confused as to how to remove them, as this thread seems to sugest using a tick twister, where as a recent bbc article reccomended just pulling them straight out rather than twisting them???

I'll just add, i walked yesterday morning, came home had a shower ect and got bitten in bed by it this morning :(
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm

I got a tick on my bum last week. :shock: Just thought I'd share that with you. :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Meatball » Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm

1. Bump.
2. Checked for ticks after a weeks walking.
3. Tick puller ordered from bada.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby basscadet » Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 pm

Just removed 2 after a 3 night camp roundabout Arrochar.. they have always loved me though :( Maybe I should stop napping in the heather mid afternoon :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby electricfly » Tue May 08, 2012 2:27 pm

scoob999 wrote:I am still confused as to how to remove them, as this thread seems to sugest using a tick twister, where as a recent bbc article reccomended just pulling them straight out rather than twisting them??? :(

Pulling them straight out is very unwise. You are likely to decapitate the tick and be left with it's jaws and head buried in the skin, which can lead to infection.

Tick Twister should be used and always turned in an anti-clockwise fashion. If no TT tool is at hand then tweezers can be used but you need to take care not to squeeze the body (sack) of the tick, as this can result in re-injecting your blood and the tick's toxins. Again make sure to grip as close to the skin and turn in an anti-clockwise direction.

The Tick has a drilling device in it's jaw much like a screw, hence the need to twist the wee blighter to get it to release. Just remember the old Plumber's rule of "Righty-Tighty...Lefty-Loosey". :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Cathmunn » Tue May 08, 2012 3:09 pm

ok now I'm sat here scratching after reading this thread :? :lol:

I think I must have been super lucky as I have never, so far, had one. Removed plenty from our dogs though.

Twisters ordered!
Cathmunn
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Postby roamninthegloamin » Tue May 08, 2012 10:46 pm

scoob999 wrote:Got bitten by a Tick this morning ! :shock:
First time for years, i have stuck it on some cellotape just in case
I am still confused as to how to remove them, as this thread seems to sugest using a tick twister, where as a recent bbc article reccomended just pulling them straight out rather than twisting them???

I'll just add, i walked yesterday morning, came home had a shower ect and got bitten in bed by it this morning :(

Hi scoob i saw the article on the bbc and was shocked at the sight of someone pulling the tick off with their fingers sending out totaly the wrong message i was at the outdoor show at edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and bada had a stall there and i mentioned it to them and they were disgusted at how the bbc had edited the article they made it look as if it was ok to just pull the tick out
roamninthegloamin
Mountain Walker

Munros:57   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Oxcasual » Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 pm

Many thanks for the information Saddie & I also will be investing in a set of Twisters.

Having just read this thread, I don't want to leave the house :lol:

I've been fairly lucky personally regarding ticks, considering I tend to wear shorts from April to October. However mossies seem to like me :?

I found a large tick on my dogs head a week after a recent trip to Snowdonia. My dog had knocked it off leaving its head attached. I removed the rest & the dog seems OK.
Oxcasual
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:185   Islands:12

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion