walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Skye Trail - May 2012

Skye Trail - May 2012

Postby TyFLy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 am

Hello all,

First thread in this forum so firstly I'd like to say hello to everyone !

My question concerns - as stated in the title - the Skye Trail, which I'd very much like to do between May 5th and 13th, as I have managed to secure a few days off work at that time.

I've read all that I could find about that path, including parts of the sweet book by Cameron McNeish.

It is stated many times that the hike is quite difficult. I'm a young man (23), in good physical condition (do quite a lot of sports), have walked a few times around the alps and the Ecrins (in France), and would say that I cope well with steep ascents.

I'm trying to figure out whether this trail would be suitable for a guy like me, provided I get myself all the necessary gear (especially the waterproof clothes/compass/detailed maps), or rather, is it really too complicated for someone who doesn't already have a strong backpacking experience.

I'm really keen on taking this journey but wouldn't want to stick myself in a situation I couldn't handle, so this is why I'd be happy to have some advice from people who have already taken this trip, or know about it.

I've considered trying to WHW also, but after doing some research it seemed to me that this hike, although apparently splendid, was slightly lacking the rugged mountainous terrain I enjoy so much (but I might be wrong).

Thanks for your advice on this !

Cheers,
Loic
TyFLy

Re: Skye Trail - May 2012

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:57 am

I reckon the Alps should make a good training ground for Skye ! I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck with the weather.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Why dont you do the west highland way first. One thing to bear in mind that hill walking and back packing are different beasts entirely. For doing a longer trail like the Skye trail you have to take a larger rucksack with mayby 25 pounds worth of gear which will become hard to humph about if your not used to it. You should try and do a few days of long walking in the hills, camp out over night, to get used the weight on your shoulders. I did the west highland way a few years ago and found carrying the extra weight in the rucksack quite hard.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 pm

The-Big-Grey-Man wrote:Why dont you do the west highland way first. One thing to bear in mind that hill walking and back packing are different beasts entirely. For doing a longer trail like the Skye trail you have to take a larger rucksack with mayby 25 pounds worth of gear which will become hard to humph about if your not used to it. You should try and do a few days of long walking in the hills, camp out over night, to get used the weight on your shoulders. I did the west highland way a few years ago and found carrying the extra weight in the rucksack quite hard.

Do what you want. Carrying a pack with your food and camping stuff is all part of it. Remember on the route you can pick up food at shops in Staffin, Portree and...well, that's about it. There is a tiny food store at Elgol. And off route in Broadford and Kyle. Have a look at these photies and make up your own mind.
Quiraing, Skye,Scotland May 09 017.jpg

January 10 Trotternish Ridge.JPG

Storr signage.JPG

Skye waterfall.JPG

Raasay from Breakish May 09.JPG

Glen Sligachan September 2009.jpg

Marsco from Elgol.jpg
sheep monster.JPG

And beware of the sheep monster!!! :D
Attachments
Sound of Raasay May.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby LDPWalker » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Caberfeidh

One could almost get the impression that you were trying to put him off the Skye Trail........
LDPWalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:9   

Postby RicKamila » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:13 pm

RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Worth buying just for the photography alone. Some stunning pics.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby RicKamila » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:51 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:

Worth buying just for the photography alone. Some stunning pics.

Bought it after the B&B we stayed at near Uig 2 years ago had it on the coffee table. Stunning photos, but a great read too.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby TyFLy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies, indeed I'm sure that carrying a heavy backpack around isn't something i'm really used to. I'm still undecided between the Skye Trail and the West Highland Way.

My dates have changed though, I'll be taking the trip from June 2nd to June 10th, so I'm guessing that the weather might be friendlier at that time of year, along with other people taking the trail also.

Hard to get a good idea of the difficulty of the trip, but these pictures sure look amazing, and it was looking at similar ones that sparked my interest in taking the trip.

I'll still be glad to hear advice from anyone who's taken the trail !

Cheers,
Loic
TyFLy

Postby Liathach » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 pm

I did the trail last year with a few friends albeit in two parts due to blisters. We saw no other folk on the route but we did enjoy it. The north section along the cliff edge is interesting but it's a wee bit of a chav as it's crofting land and there are barbed wire fences to negotiate! The Glen Sligachan section is spectacular.
Liathach

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 pm

it's crofting land and there are barbed wire fences to negotiate

Our Skye Trail route avoids most of that section across the crofts at the start by instead making a start along the spectacular coastline to Flodigarry,.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Liathach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:48 pm

That was where we found the barbed wire fences!
Liathach

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion