walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Nevis via the CMD

Ben Nevis via the CMD

Postby Malckyb » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:27 pm

We have planned to climb the Ben via the CMD in mid May. I have done 6 Munro's,Scafel Pike and lots of smaller hills so am not a complete novice.

A few questions for those that have done the Ben via CMD.

Have been working on my fitness and plan to do a few big hills before the climb.How difficult is it..how long should it take?

Have no real problem with exposure...is there much exposure and scrambling?

Any other tips or hints?
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Re: Ben Nevis via the CMD

Postby KeithS » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:41 pm

The Ben via the CMD arete is so much better than the tourist route, probably the best way up unless you are a climber. The exposure is not bad, I have done it twice, once in quite wet conditions and there were no real problems. It is a full day out though, enjoy
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Fantastic day out but if i was to go back it would be starting at the north face park at torlundy. the tourist track to lochan meall an t -suidhe is like walking through town on a saturday afternoon and the climb from.cic hut to carn mor dearg is a real leg and lung burner with all the good views at your back.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Malckyb » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks for the replies so far folks. I have heard that the pull up to Carn Mor Dearg is the worst part of the walk and that its pretty relentless?
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby brpro26 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:28 am

It's the only way to do the Ben properly, unless you climb it and that's not happening for me. I took the path to the CIC hut, it's an impressive way to see it close up. Yes the pull up to CMD from the CIC is hard but zigzag and keep looking back at the view, it's worth it. The arete is overrated regards the exposure, it's not that bad. The hop skipping up the boulders to the top was the hardest or me. Watch out for all the banana skins at the top... :lol:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Rekrab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:38 am

Malckyb wrote:Thanks for the replies so far folks. I have heard that the pull up to Carn Mor Dearg is the worst part of the walk and that its pretty relentless?

the pull up is mental It's the only time I've ever experienced cramping in my legs every 50 or so steps I had to stop and massage out the cramps until I reached the ridge leading to CMD summit. The important thing to know is the closer you get to the CIC hut the steeper it gets heading to CMD.
we met up with some guys who looked like hell after someone told them to head up to the CIC hut first.

saying that it was one of the best walks I've ever done defo in the top 3 out of like 100,000,000.00 walks

it took us 12 hours car park to car park, with a small lunch on CMD summit.
we enjoyed every inch of the arete and took our time enjoying every footstep and it was 3 hours to reach the Ben (we took our time) i'm sure many have traversed in 30mins but probably didn't enjoy as much as we did.

the last 100m of ascent I was walking like I had been on a horse all day.

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby dacky » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:27 am

As has been said, only way to do the Ben, views phenomenal, exposure not at all bad. Climb is a burner, must be 600m but take ur time, and everytime u get tired just look over your shoulder;)

Took us 9 and a half hours with one relatively inexperienced and unfit member of the group.
dacky
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:153   

Postby Milesy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:43 am

Don't go as far as the CIC. If coming from the NF car park as soon as you pass the upper car park aim straight for the ridge. Amazing views of the North Face as you climb higher.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby dodec » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 am

Yep agree with Milesy best piece of advice just a short way past the upper car park head for Carn Beag Dearg and either gain the ridge there or traverse under it and gain the ridge at Carn Dearg Meadhonach. The haul up from the CIC hut is relentless with loose turf and scree, it can be done but unless you particularly want to visit the hut it's best avoided.
I've done it with a group of not particularly fit guys and they managed it without difficulty and that being on the back of climbing Tryfan and Helvellyn via Striding Edge the day before. So if you train for it and your fit, 8hrs at best, 10hrs if you take your time.
The exposure depends on what your used to, some of it can be avoided.
dodec
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Agree with all....especially advice from Milesy and dodec
Link to a previous post with photo of the CMD slope directly up from the CIC hut

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16182&p=99937&hilit=+ben+nevis#p99937
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby honey_munster » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:46 pm

if you are approaching from the track past lochan meall an t -suidhe, I'd suggest rather than following it all the way to the CIC hut, leave the track just after it turns the corner towards the CIC hut, cross the Allt a'Mhuilinn lower down (as long as it's not in spate) and take the easier slopes to the W of Carn Beag Dearg. It's still a stiff pull up to the ridge though.
honey_munster

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:5   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4

Postby dodec » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Sorry to deviate ever so slightly from the thread but recalling my last time on the CMD route, as we were sitting recovering on the ridge from the climb up from the CIC hut, we spied a fast moving, lithe and bearded fellow approach us along the ridge. We got chatting and he mentioned that he just liked to wander the hills, with no particular route in mind. He was up here for a few weeks and recounted some of his impressive routes from the previous days. As he talked we noted that he was wearing sandles (proper jesus boots) and carrying little more than a manbag....the overall appearance was one of prophet rather than hillwalker.

Anyhoo one of our kindred (Mark) was dreading the CMD, having crawled along Striding edge the day before his anxiety was palpable. Being a chatty sort however, he developed a rapport with our bearded walker up there on the ridge. So as we headed out onto the CMD the pair walked and chatted the whole way across, to say that he breezed across would not be far from the truth. At the boulder field the bearded walker bid him goodbye and bounded up the slopes to the summit. Mark at that point turned around and looked at what he'd done, haha the look on his face it was as if he'd just woken up and found his worst nightmare come true.
They do say the Lord works mysterious ways and if he's to come back and walk amongst us, wouldn't you like to think he'd choose God's own country to do it. :D :shock:
dodec
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:23

Postby Kevin29035 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Eeek nice story dodec :) And to go further still, I did it last year, crossed the arete dropped my and my pals bags at the end of the arete, nipped to the Nevis, got back down to the bags at the end of the arete as a Eurofighter flew around from the north face and thundered past us crossing 50m above the arete. It circled over our heads and dipped into Glen Nevis. Anyone on the arete may have been looking up the intakes and further still might have found themselves jumping into Glen Nevis :thumbup:

Anyway I love the CMD, amazing mountain, beautiful arete.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion