walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Peak District

Peak District

Postby BVCSK » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:03 am

Just booked a holiday for my family in The Peak District in August. Does anyone have any advice on good routes in this part of the country or for that matter any 'must do's' or 'don't do's' ? Going to be staying in Little Longton, 11 miles from Buxton.
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Re: Peak District

Postby stomper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:09 pm

BVCSK wrote:Just booked a holiday for my family in The Peak District in August. Does anyone have any advice on good routes in this part of the country or for that matter any 'must do's' or 'don't do's' ? Going to be staying in Little Longton, 11 miles from Buxton.

Yes Get yourself around to Castleton area and walk up to Mamtor and follow ridge to hope via Hollins Cross, Backtor, Loose Hill and then back to Castleton via river. If that doesn't apeal go to Ladybower Reserviour and climb winhill as you will get one of the best views the peak district can throw at you. You have other great places in the area like Hathersage , Bamford. Edale is a MECKA for walkers you can go up Kinda scout Highest part of the peak District and walk to Kinda downfall. South peak district you have Bakewell where ther are some Beautifull walks in the area. There is a book available by Mark Richards there are 2 volumes 1 called High peak walks and 2 white peak walks if yo0u can get hold of these copies then you will be sorted. 1 walk you could do is park at yorkshire bridge Near ladybower Res climb through wood up to Winhill follow path all the way to HOPE CROSS down through wood to Ladybower and follow path EAST back to car. A GREAT GREAT WALK. I used to live in Sheffield so know all about the Peak District. If you get the weather you will have a cracking time
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby KeithS » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Hello BVCSK,
I live most of the time in Sheffield and I am within walking distance of the Peak District (where I will be off to for a walk shortly)
There are two sections of the Peak District, The Dark Peak and the White Peak. They are both beautiful but are quite different in appearance and feel and walking.
The Dark Peak is more rugged with plenty of open moorland and quite wild places. Personally I tend to avoid Kinder Scout unless you like peat groughs, lots of mud and difficult navigation. Many people do like it, although I prefer Bleaklow and the area to the north. If you are interested in aircraft wrecks there are loads you can visit and books you can get. Some are spectacular, others less so. I like the area which can be accessed from the road along the Ladybower, Derwent and Howden reservoirs, although this can be quite busy in August and the road to the very end (the best bit) is closed at weekends, although there is an occasional bus service.
The White Peak, which is around Buxton (itself an interesting town but very busy in the summer) is quite different. There are many dales you can visit, (Miller's Dale is nice) and they make for pleasant walking. There are lots of nice little towns to explore and there are loads of good pubs and tea houses. The area round Castleton is good, there are caves you can visit which, although a bit commercial, are interesting and good for a rainy day. It is worth going up the old Mam Tor road. You have to walk as the road has dropped away due to landslides but it is worth it.
As far as don'ts, obviously be careful with dogs as, especially the White Peak, there are loads of sheep about and farmers with guns.
As far as do's, try to explore the areas slightly off the main tourist areas, there are some real gems.
Enjoy,
Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby icemandan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Some thoughts...

1) Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill at the head of Dovedale are well worth investigating. They look like nothing on the map but are in fact sharp ridges and the only hills in the Peak District that look like Peaks;

2) Alport Castles - the Derbyshire Quirang - a big landslip just off the Snake Road

3) The Eastern edges from Stanage down to Froggatt - fine cliffs with overhangs, natural sculpture, millstone quarries with millstones lying around like giant polo mints;

4) If you don't mind crowds, there is some good cave and rock scenery in Dovedale and Manifold Valley. Other good dales are Lathkill Dale and Cressbrook Dale - generally in the White Peak, the Dales are nicer than the uplands.

5) For an easy walk, the old railway line through the Wye Valley is an easy one with various viaducts and tunnels;

Food and drink - the Grindleford Cafe at Grindleford Station is an experience - not recommended as part of a calorie controlled diet - you'll have to queue and the service is not for the sensitive! The Barrel Inn at Bretton is a good pub in a fantastic location on a hilltop.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby BVCSK » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks for the comments so far folks. Please keep them coming.
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion