walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Getting to the Munros

Re: Getting to the Munros

Postby sgpnut » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37 am

Ah well.. There goes whatever slim hope I had for public transport. Was hoping that with public transport, I would be able to avoid having to go back for the car and just keep going forward like Kevin suggested.

I guess I do seem like someone VERY ignorant about the whole difficulty of Munro walking. My apologies if I have offended you with that. I do know the difficulties I will be getting myself into from foot of Munro to summit - let alone Munro A to Munro B. It only took 1 Munro teach me that!

The whole idea of me doing it this summer is that this is the last summer I am truly free in Scotland and I want to make it count. No better way than doing what few in this world have done. I know failure is quite possible but, I do want to say I tried my best.

That said, I really thank you guys for the encouragement/advice. I'll be sure to ask a heck load more questions when I come up with them!

Oh and I'm a he. :)
sgpnut

Munros:35   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:58 am

sgpnut wrote:Ah well.. There goes whatever slim hope I had for public transport. Was hoping that with public transport, I would be able to avoid having to go back for the car and just keep going forward like Kevin suggested.

I guess I do seem like someone VERY ignorant about the whole difficulty of Munro walking. My apologies if I have offended you with that. I do know the difficulties I will be getting myself into from foot of Munro to summit - let alone Munro A to Munro B. It only took 1 Munro teach me that!

The whole idea of me doing it this summer is that this is the last summer I am truly free in Scotland and I want to make it count. No better way than doing what few in this world have done. I know failure is quite possible but, I do want to say I tried my best.

That said, I really thank you guys for the encouragement/advice. I'll be sure to ask a heck load more questions when I come up with them!

Oh and I'm a he. :)

The public transport is allrighhttt (I love taking trains up north) but not suitable for this. But the car is a blessing if you want to do it - there's nothing like walking off Munros drenched to the core and jumping in a warm car with a change of dry clothes (joy of joys......) off to the nearest town. If you want to do the free and easy thing, get camping! Camping in Scotland is just amazing.

Good luck :)
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby SMRussell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:27 am

sgpnut,
Just a few things to consider -

I noticed that you have only done 2 pretty straightforward Munros and no circuits. If you have other mountaineering experience outside of Scotland this may not too much of a concern, however my worry is your experience navigating and map reading in the hills. Perhaps dip your toe in the water by taking on a nice circuit like the White Mounth (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/white-mounth.shtml). But I would suggest doing this with someone who has experience - if you are new to navigation and suddenly get caught in dense clag (fog) things could go wrong very quickly. Perhaps ask one of the folks on this site if they'd be up for joining you. In fact roping in some people to head up the occasional walk with you this summer will probably help a lot in lifting your spirits - no matter how much you enjoy your own company a friendly and fresh face does us all the world of good :D

As for actually doing all in one summer - breaking them down into sections with key towns / camping areas acting as a base for each section would be what I'd first consider. Unfortunately access to a car is undoubtedly the only realistic way to connect the Munros. Public transport in this country isn't really up to the job. But getting your hands on a bike can be a real help esp. for the Munros with long tracks to the foot of the main ascent - I've used a bike for this twice now and it really cuts down on time but does mean that the walks you do where the bike is used need to be circular.

It'll be hard to avoid wild camping if you're planning on bagging them all in one summer. Make sure you get the right kit and know your public access rights and obligations. Other practicalities need to be considered such as knowing your first aid basics. for example.

Read the right books, get the right kit and get in some real experience in the next few pre-summer months AND most of all best of luck mate, whether you do it or not getting out into the Scottish hills is a wonderful experience in and of it's self - enjoy :D :thumbup:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby basscadet » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Liathach wrote:If you think that trains and buses are an option when trying to walk the Munros, it begs the question as to whether you have the experience to tackle something like this. I think you need to give it more thought.

Hmm, I have managed over a third of them without a car so far.. I will admit it is getting more difficult, but no need to poo poo the idea me thinks :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby sgpnut » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Russell!

Reading a map should not be a problem - I was an officer in the Singapore Army where map reading and navigation were skills we had to know. But I will definitely be revising that over the next few days.

SMRussell wrote:
It'll be hard to avoid wild camping if you're planning on bagging them all in one summer. Make sure you get the right kit and know your public access rights and obligations. Other practicalities need to be considered such as knowing your first aid basics. for example.

Just a question about the public access rights and obligations. I am not too clear on that. Isn't the public allowed access to the Munros? Or did you mean trespassing on somebody's land?
sgpnut

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Scotland has free access laws, and this means you can walk almost anywhere, anytime without permission form the landowner. But with that are the responsibilities - keeping dogs on leads around livestock, causing no damage to personal property, etc... There are estates covering large parts of the Highlands which shoot stags in the autumn. Some are more social than others but they generally prefer to keep people off their land. (why they don't have a problem with people on their land culling hinds throughout the winter is another story)

Anyway I found the estates helpful the couple of times I up. (Auch estate near Bridge of Orchy especially so) All this stuff kicks off around about August.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby AlisonFox66 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Its possible
I do the hills without a car

Ok I do get help from friends sometimes but I do Ok
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SMRussell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 pm

sgpnut wrote:Thanks for the advice Russell!

Reading a map should not be a problem - I was an officer in the Singapore Army where map reading and navigation were skills we had to know. But I will definitely be revising that over the next few days.

Sounds like you've a good grounding for the task there - navigation (and common sense) are you're best skills in the hills :D

sgpnut wrote:Just a question about the public access rights and obligations. I am not too clear on that. Isn't the public allowed access to the Munros? Or did you mean trespassing on somebody's land?

Sorry if I wasn't clear there - the Munros and most of Scotland is freely accessible so don't worry. The link below gives a good outline of rights etc. You need to know your rights in case you get into a spot of bother (not all landowners are all that accommodating - sorry but it is true :shifty: ) You also need to know your obligations, like Kevin says no damage to property, clean up your rubbish. For instance, wild camping by Loch Lomond has recently become restricted due to access rights abuses (cutting down trees/ branches for fires, leaving litter etc). Basically respect the land and be thankful that you are allowed to access it in good faith :D
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/outdoors-responsibly/your-access-rights/
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Liathach » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 pm

I have no doubt that many Munros can be done using public transport but it certainly isn't easy or straightforward. I was also concerned that the OP had only listed two Munros. My concerns may be ill-founded but I would like to see him tackle a few more hills before undertaking this adventure.
Liathach

Postby neilmci » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 am

SGPnut,

In a complete reversal, I am trying to work my way through the munros but I am currently in Sinagpore - which s making travelling even more difficult! Currently sick of walking around McRitchie, and Bukit Timah every week!! If it was not for the unusual (to me) wildlife it would be very boring!.

I can imagine the wide open spaces of northern scotland would seem a world away from Orchard road on a saturday afternoon with the crowds of slow moving people.

Whislt I note that you have done your NS or possibly served for longer, I would hazard a guess that this has been completed in some very different environments to what can be found in Scotland - even in the Summer months. If you can navigate through a jungle environment then you have my respect (Whilst the ideas are the same, the fact you lose your sense of direction is a major hazard to me as I am used to using my inbuilt compass!) and this apsect should not be too much of a problem to you where you can pick ou land marks etc, it is more being prepared for and understanding the extremes of weather and how quickly this can all happen! In my book it is always better to be over prepared - hence why my rucksack always seems biggest?

I would suggest that you join a walking club so that you can gain then necessary experience with others, meet like minded people and have the added benefit of addressing some of your transport issues.

When I am at home on leave I currently have no vehicle in the UK and I find it is very frustrating.

I wish I had a free summer in Scotland. Make the most of it and good luck with seeing as much of it as possible.
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby sgpnut » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Liathach wrote:I have no doubt that many Munros can be done using public transport but it certainly isn't easy or straightforward. I was also concerned that the OP had only listed two Munros. My concerns may be ill-founded but I would like to see him tackle a few more hills before undertaking this adventure.

Thanks for the concern Liathach - I would have wanted that as well. Only thing is, this is my penultimate year of an integrated Masters programme and I have been busy writing up my dissertation. BUT, I do plan to visit the Isle of Skye (for a couple of days I hope!) this coming Easter break and attempt at least one of the Munros there.

neilmci wrote:Whislt I note that you have done your NS or possibly served for longer, I would hazard a guess that this has been completed in some very different environments to what can be found in Scotland - even in the Summer months....In my book it is always better to be over prepared - hence why my rucksack always seems biggest?

I would suggest that you join a walking club so that you can gain then necessary experience with others, meet like minded people and have the added benefit of addressing some of your transport issues.

Thanks for the advice! I will think about that.

Yeap. I did my navigation training in a jungle environment where earmarking trees was the way to go. Also did it in Taiwan where the environment is much closer to Scotland's - without the crazy weather changes though. :P
sgpnut

Postby Liathach » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Re Skye, Bruach na Frithe is the easiest of the Skye Munros followed, probably, by Blaven. Good luck. Hope the weather is fine for you.
Liathach

Postby neilmci » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:25 am

ear marking trees!! That is so freakin obvious! (although National parks may object!) Why do i still end up walking in circles even when on paths! I even make the school boy error of arguing with the compass at times.

I am used to the sun being in the South (when it shines) as opposed to passing directly over head. I think this is what throws me!

That and the fact that you cannot see the shape of the ground in front of you. It is simialr to being in a white out - only warmer and with things that bite!
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby sgpnut » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:30 pm

neilmci wrote:ear marking trees!! That is so freakin obvious! (although National parks may object!) Why do i still end up walking in circles even when on paths! I even make the school boy error of arguing with the compass at times.

I am used to the sun being in the South (when it shines) as opposed to passing directly over head. I think this is what throws me!

That and the fact that you cannot see the shape of the ground in front of you. It is simialr to being in a white out - only warmer and with things that bite!

Welcome to the tropical jungles! ;)

When I said earmarking I meant it as a mental note of which tree you're headed to. You take a bearing, aim for the most interesting tree in way of the bearing, head to that tree, stand behind said tree, re-align yourself, repeat. Of course it is more accurate if you choose a tree as far away as possible.

Have you tried exploring Pulau Ubin yet? That still has some real jungle left - I think. Another one for jungle navigation would be at Chestnut Ave.
sgpnut

Postby neilmci » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:21 pm

I realise you meant mental marking, its the straight lines between trees that throw me. Always end up going round something losing where i was aiming for and getting myself in a mess. I guess I need practice. Only tried it a couple of times.
Been to puala unintentional however was with others who were not up for exploring so stayed with the tourists!
Next free weekend I ease planning to try and find the woodcutters trail. From dairy farm to mcritchie. Some websites have a dscription and photos. Seems some mtb clubs use it also.
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion