walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lochivraon Bothy UNAVAILABLE 14-22 MAY

Lochivraon Bothy UNAVAILABLE 14-22 MAY

Postby Lochivraon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 pm

The owners grant exclusive use of the small bothy at the west end of Loch a Bhraoin to a school Outdoor Education project each year.

This is just to warn anyone heading that way to avoid the bothy between Monday 14 and Tuesday 22 May inclusive.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused. :(
Lochivraon

Re: Lochivraon Bothy UNAVAILABLE 14-22 MAY

Postby Lochivraon » Thu May 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi.

I am just bumping this up top, as it's next week for 9 days and nights that the bothy is out of commission for.
L.
Lochivraon

Postby Lochivraon » Sun May 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi, there.
I posted the message about the unavailability of the wee bothy up to May 22nd. I visited it twice in that time. Happy to say it has been left in very good nick by the school parties using it. They carried in extra fuel, so the place is currently well supplied.

Word of caution about the new stove. I took in fire cement and larded it round the new chimney base and also on the oval holes along the top of the main body of the stove: this cut down the smoke leaks by about 80%. Unfortunately there is still some leakage around the door of the stove, epecially when the fire is in the early stages and is drawing poorly. Matters improve after that, once it has warmed up. Taking in some smokeless fuel to get through that phase may be worth doing.

Again, all credit to the estate for providing this great wee place; it was done before they even started work on the main cottage; and the factor has replaced the chimney and first stove very promptly.
Lochivraon

Postby IreneM » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Was in there last week with some friends - one of whom is an excellent DIYer - he fixed the leak and and it now burns perfectly!
:D

Many thanks for taking the cement in!
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:195
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion