walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Fisherfields with a dog?

Fisherfields with a dog?

Postby madasa mongoose » Sun May 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Has anyone climbed the Fisherfields with a dog? From the description I'm now worried about losing Corrie girl in a bog! :shock:
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Re: Fisherfields with a dog?

Postby KeithS » Sun May 06, 2012 2:18 pm

I have often gone into Fisherfield, with and without a dog. I don't see any extra problems compared to anywhere else. I walked from Dundonnell to Poolewe over three days with a dog and there were no difficulties, although we do tend to keep him close. If your dog runs off after deer you would have a very big area to search. Yes, there are some boggy areas but no worse (probably better than) areas like Rannoch Moor. There are not many sheep to chase deep in Fisherfield.
Hope that is of some help.
Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby madasa mongoose » Sun May 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks Keith. That's really helpful :)
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi Shirley,
If you are planning to do walk all the munros, then Ruadh Stac Mor will be a problem. I do not think it would be wise to try to take Corrie up or down the South West face of this munro. (This is the normal route). In my opinion it would be far to dangerous. Sorry :D
monty

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:48 am

monty wrote:Hi Shirley,
If you are planning to do walk all the munros, then Ruadh Stac Mor will be a problem. I do not think it would be wise to try to take Corrie up or down the South West face of this munro. (This is the normal route). In my opinion it would be far to dangerous. Sorry :D

Hmm not sure I agree? Didn't seem that bad and I can think of a lot worse.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby monty » Mon May 07, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Kevin.
I am erring on the side of caution here. Corrie is a big dog and I think Shirley will be on here own. cheers :D
monty

Postby KeithS » Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 am

Hi, I can certainly see, and agree with, Monty's concerns about the south west face of Ruadh Stac Mor, it is steep and care needs to be taken. The north east approach is also full of very rocky rocks. These would only be of concern if planning the full circuit though. There are other ways up that mountain which are not so steep, and the awkward bits can be avoided. It would be a shame to avoid the whole area, as opposed to just some tricky bits.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Postby b-illie » Mon May 07, 2012 1:12 pm

So the bog south of Shenavall Bothy is as ordinary as any other and just what walkers and dog owners have to reckon with? That's frightening. :wtf: We found it hellish but I cannot compare it for lack of data of other places, so any comment on the average nature of this bog would be much appreciated. :D
b-illie
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby KeithS » Mon May 07, 2012 3:31 pm

I've been through that 'bog' on the south-west side of the Abhainn Strath na Sealga four times, once with a dog. I got wet once :( and stayed dry three times :) :) :) . It just depends on the conditions. Obviously care must be taken but even when wet I found it more 'squishy' than 'quagmire'. I've been in just as boggy places throughout the Highlands, not to mention other places, try Kinder Scout and Bleaklow, they are far worse.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Postby madasa mongoose » Mon May 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks all for your comments. I'm hoping to do the round – weather and fitness permitting – so may leave Corrie at home to be on the safe side. She’ll be miffed though!
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Mon May 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Shirley
Maybe you need someone to tag along and take Corrie around any obstacles that may present themselves. I am sure a call out to the guys and girls on this site will help. Depending upon the dates I might be free to come along. :D
monty

Postby madasa mongoose » Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks Monty. I'm going with a friend but you'd be very welcome to tag along if you're free - last week in June, weather permitting. Not sure you'll be able to keep up with us though :wink: :lol:
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 am

If you have company then it should not be a problem. Are you wild camping overnight or staying at Shenavil and doing the walk in one day? You could take corrie with you and stop at the base of RSM. then each in turn ascend it and then descend back to Corrie in the Corrie hahaha. Then you could have a choice. You could walk North West on the track past RSM for 3kms and then follow the track East for 5kms back to the track which leads to Larachantivore and back to Shenavil. Or head directly East from the base of RSM and try to find a track out of the valley. (This would be about 5km shorter than the previous option.) :D
monty

Postby madasa mongoose » Tue May 08, 2012 1:26 pm

Oh meh goad! That's a lot of information for my little head :-? But thanks! :thumbup:

We're planning to wild camp where the WH route description suggested and tackle the round clockwise from there the next day, so finishing on RSM. Another consideration for taking/not taking Corrie is the weight we'd need to carry. Big dog = big food + big tent!

If only I knew a very fit hillwalker who could act as packhorse.... :think: :wink:
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: . Fit a saddle and i could go round on corries back :lol: :lol: :lol:
monty

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion