walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Sgurr Choinnich Mor + Aonach Beag + Aonach Mor

Sgurr Choinnich Mor + Aonach Beag + Aonach Mor

Postby metafor » Sat May 19, 2012 7:50 am

Hi can anybody help me please with a bit of info/advice, I am thinking of doing Sgurr Choinnich Mor,Aonach Beag & Aonach Mor from the top of Glen Nevis car park. Basically I'm just looking for approx. time /difficulty factors! Do I just do Aonach Beag & Aonach Mor & leave Sgurr Choinnich Mor for another day?

anything at all would be appreciated thanks
metafor
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Re: Sgurr Choinnich Mor + Aonach Beag + Aonach Mor

Postby Meatball » Sat May 19, 2012 9:13 am

I have this planned for when the snow goes, I think the snow would slow me too much...
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jmarkb » Sat May 19, 2012 10:49 am

It's around 21km and 1700m of ascent, so by no means a monster: say 8-10 hours?
When ascending Aonach Beag from the col, I think you need to keep well to the left to avoid steep ground.
The descent from Aonach Mor is rather steep and wouldn't be nice in poor conditions. Navigation on the Aonachs is very tricky if there is snow on the ground and poor visibility: best avoided!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Hendos van » Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm planning on doing this route in a fortnight, hope most of the snow will be gone by then.
Hendos van
Munro compleatist

Munros:261   Corbetts:1

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:31 am

Linked these hills up last year as part of a greater traverse.

Sgurr Choinnich Mor would be the easy part. The way up Aonach Beag is interesting.

The easiest ground is left towards Sgurr a' Bhuic. Myself and anyone else I know has done this route has not gone left (though I'd like to try it). There's a gully running up the face with a grassy fan coming out the bottom, capped with a huge overhang above the top of the gully. It's damp, loose and muddy and a bit bloody steep at the top - glad I wasn't doing it alone. Honestly don't know which one is better.

Was up that way yesterday and Aonach Beag has it's huge snow cap. Don't imagine it look that way in 2 weeks with the heat. Also I thought the descent west of Aonach Mor was fine but it's a personal thing.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Meatball » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 am

I did this route from glen Nevis yesterday.
The best part of the day is the views from sgurr choinnich mor.
The big face enroute to Aonach Beag is a bit hairy...a wee bit of exposure on a muddy scramble.
The views to the Ben are magic.
The descent is brutal.
My timing were 2.5hrs to scm, 4.5hrs to Aonach Beag and another hour to Aonach Mor. I was walking with people after that so my timings are out.
Hope that helps.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion