walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

WHW advice/recommendations anyone?

WHW advice/recommendations anyone?

Postby littlemrs29 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi

I have plans to backpack the whw starting Monday morning - heading up the night before to ensure an early start. It will be myself and my partner and our 2 year old lab. We are considering 5 days but to be honest are pretty open to it taking longer if need be - especially if it's as hot as it is now and our dog needs a rest - vet told us if she needs to stop she will just stop :lol:

We have done a lot of camping before although mostly at registered sites - this time we are looking to wild camp giving us more flexibility on days. I'm a keen walker and my partner is a lot fitter than me so hopefully won't have any issues there.

I guess I am just looking for any last minute advice from everyone - recommendations of where to stop whether registered sites or not, recommended food to take, advice for taking the dog etc

Everything is helpful :D
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: WHW advice/recommendations anyone?

Postby mrssanta » Sat May 26, 2012 7:12 pm

presumably you are aware tht wild camping isn't allowed along the east side of Loch Lomond
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Paderlan » Sat May 26, 2012 9:22 pm

mrssanta wrote:presumably you are aware tht wild camping isn't allowed along the east side of Loch Lomond

It's OK to wild camp on Lomond side once you are past Rowardennan. There is a beautiful spot just North of Inversnaid right on the lochside among the trees, and in easy staggering distance of the pub. Another waterside wild camp is just over the bridge from Bridge of Orchy Hotel, but I would recommend going on a couple of miles to Inveroran where there is another beautiful wild site just over the bridge from the pub down by the river. Hmm - bit of a theme building up here :D . Lastly, not a wild camp, but a wee plug for the MacDonald Hotel campsite in Kinlochleven. Another lovely waterside pitch but with showers, washing machines and really helpful and friendly staff. All those sites were a bit 'midgey' last September, but they shouldn't be too bad just yet! Hope the weather stays fine for you.
Paderlan
Walker

Munros:174   Corbetts:91
Fionas:42   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   Islands:14

Postby littlemrs29 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:22 pm

The Loch Lomond stretch and wild camping is something I most certainly am aware of - our intention is to get to that area mentioned just past Inversnaid - a long hike we know but we have a back up plan should that not come about. It's great to see the places we are looking at stopping at being recommended by lots of people - gives you that bit more faith so thank you Paderlan :-)
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion