walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stac Pollaidh - how hard is the scramble to true summit?

Re: Stac Pollaidh - how hard is the scramble to true summit?

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Stac Pollaidh - how hard is the scramble to true summit? - a doddle :wink: .

weaselmaster wrote:Plan on using a guide and combining it with a traverse of the ridge proper or maybe - if I am feeling brave that day - an ascent via the west buttress.

I'll flay you up it for a much smaller price :twisted: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Dave Hewitt » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:41 pm

weaselmaster wrote:came across a guide called Paul Tattersall @gofurtherscotland.co.uk who lives up that way and knows the mountain well - plan to use him in the spring

He might bring a bicycle with him...
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby mountainsofscotland » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:24 pm

The first couple of moves are the crux ie getting started, beyond which the rest of the tower is Grade 1.
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby MarcChrys » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:36 am

I think I was the only person who ventured to the West Summit yesterday...everyone else (lots of people with young children and dogs) went up to the East Summit then back down the same way. I had done lot of video watching and photo studying of the tricky section and was quite anxious. However, I'd made my mind up I was going to give it a good go. My honest verdict is that it's surprisingly straightforward on good frictiony rock with good holds for feet and hands...if you stay calm and focused, start directly beneath the pillar and move diagonally left (as in the photo marked in green on another post), there are good holds - and, even if you fell off or slipped, you'd just land back at the notch. Reversing was pretty much the same line as the descent, and was again quite well held. I wanted to also compare the chimney pitch lower down on the left..this starts out a bit more exposed, but once in the chimney you are very safe and secure. I didn't fancy going back down it..for some reason it looks quite intimidating looking down, so I repeated the stepped ledges descent. It was a dry sunny windless day, so no issues with wet rock or gusts. On a wet or windy day I might prefer to use the chimney variation. I would add that in my day I have been a rock climber (I'm 63) and would rate the ascent as perhaps just about Difficult (in trainers rather than with rock boots and chalk! Which would make it a Moderate). I think people who have some climbing experience or enjoy scrambling will have no issue (in good conditions). Hillwalkers with exposure issues rightfully may decline the challenge. But definitely start straight up and then diagonally leftwards to good holds in flakes and cracks - no need to climb all the way up the front face OR start on right over rather exposed gully (as I've seen in one video). My general impression was that the really scary sections on Stac Pollaidh are on the main crest, there were many variation paths where a slip or misstep could be very dangerous! Amazing day out. Have had this mountain on my dream list for 40 years. Just a shame so many people bagging the East Summmit seem to neglect the main ridge totally..even if they didn't go to the West Summit, the rock scenery and views on the ridge are magnificent.
MarcChrys
Rock-climber

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:04 am

Great descriptions there! :clap:
One day I'll get back up there
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion