walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice needed

Advice needed

Postby littlemrs29 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi all

I am looking for some guidance on a route I am hoping to complete. I want to go up Beinn Glas and Ben Lawers (have done this previously but in a group and heavy snow) but I want to continue on to An Stuc, Meall Garbh and Meall Greigh this time. I've read a lot of the reports but because I will be going alone I am looking for any additional advice anyone would be willing to give. I've done a couple of circuits before - I managed Beinn a Ghlo myself no bother, was sensible and waited out the fog when it got really bad, called my partner from time to time to update him on where I was etc

I am looking to go within the next few weeks, just wondering how long do you think it would take on average (I'm no speed walker so I was pleased with 4.5 hours doing Mayar and Dreish yesterday).

All advice welcomed :D
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Advice needed

Postby electricfly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Ideally you would want to have a car parked at the Lawers Hotel and a way of being dropped off at the start(carpark where the old visitor centre used to stand).

I have walked the A827 from Fearnan to the Ben Lawers Visitor centre on a wet evening after an extensive hike and it rates as one of the most miserable walking experiences I've endured. :(
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby iainwatson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 pm

the route should be straight forward (apart from needing two cars) but the descent on An Stuc is steep,i went the other way and climbed up it and to be honest wouldnt fancy the down climb,especially if its wet at all.

i'd defo try and have two cars if possible or leave your car at the end and somehow get back to the start as i wouldnt fancy the walk back
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby IamAJMiller » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:12 pm

iainwatson wrote:the route should be straight forward (apart from needing two cars) but the descent on An Stuc is steep,i went the other way and climbed up it and to be honest wouldnt fancy the down climb,especially if its wet at all.

I agree with this, park at the Lawers hotel and go up An Stuc last to avoid the steep down climb.
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi there
If your doing the 5 and only have 1 car have a look at my route
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16618
I would start at Lawers Hotel and do the route anti clockwise, that way your scrambling up An Stuc and not down
But i have to say i found it to be really easy!
Then when you get to Beinn Ghlas retrace your steps for a 100m ish then drop down to the road keeping the burn to your right hand side, there is a faint path and can be a bit boggy if wet :(
That way your only a couple of kilometres from the hotel, you can hitch or padlock a bike to the fence at Craggantoul where you'll come out :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Rudolph » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:24 pm

One other idea would be to drop a bike off at one end (say the old nature centre) and then park at Lawers hotel. So at the end of the day you have a pretty fast /scary ride down to the car.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby littlemrs29 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:15 pm

All good ideas thank you - just need to get a break in the weather when I have a day off - thanks everyone :D
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion