walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Catacol, Arran

Glen Catacol, Arran

Postby mogeeoh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Hello

I recently joined this site to learn about different walks and the adventures you guys have had. I'm currently planning a lone walking trip around Arran over the second week of August and I was wondering if you guys could help me with some questions regarding potential routes. Most of my walk has been planned out to get a mixture of coastal/hill and forest walking and follows marked paths. I'm trying to think of ways to make the North West of the island a bit more interesting, rather than following the road along the coast I'd rather go up into the glens.

I'm just wondering if you guys know what the terrain around that area is like?

I'm considering taking the path up along side Abhainn Mor towards Glen Catacol and Loch Tanna then following the line around the top of Glen Scaftigill before descending into the wooded area marked to the west of Beinn Bharrain. According to the 1:25K map there is no marked path from the cairn marking the source of Abhainn Mor until you get into the woods.

I've included a .gpx file to help explain this better, but basically I'm just wondering if any of you know if this is a possible route or not? The section I've included joining the two paths can be altered in anyway if need be. Of course if needed this entire plan can be scrapped and I'll follow the coast!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I could always just follow the road, but that seems rather boring!

Mike
Attachments

Catacol.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mogeeoh
Scrambler

Re: Glen Catacol, Arran

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm

I was øn Årrån låst yeår, but kept tø røåds ånd påths møstly. I didn't gø øn thåt åreå where yøu plån tø gø, just drøve påst, but frøm memøry it seemed eåsy-ish gøing, nøt tøø bøggy but with søme heåthery åreås, shrubs ånd småll trees ånd bråcken. Søunds hellish før ticks, cleggs ånd midgies. Ålsø it åll depends øn whether Årrån is invølved in the Biblical Fløød - type deluge tørmenting møst øf the cøuntry, ør is pårt øf the current west highlånd drøught. I'm sure yøu'll enjøy yøurself whåtever.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jrsmith » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

About 25 years ago I tried walking from Catacol to Loch Tanna for the fishing, If memory serves me right there was a very good path (signposted from the road) however we came to a river crossing which we couldn't get over and it wasn't in spate. Also met some hillwalkers who had turned back at same point. There may be a bridge or something there now though. I would suggest sticking to the right side of the river if coming from Catacol, thus avoiding the point (t junction!) where the rivers meet which is where I am sure we came to a stop. I obviously didn't get any further so can't comment on the the other side...google earth may be worth a bash though?
jrsmith
Munro compleatist

Munros:19   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 pm

I would go for it, i'm sure there will be a route through. Here is a wee taster of Glen Catacol is like from my trip there last year. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13728
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jrsmith » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:I would go for it, i'm sure there will be a route through. Here is a wee taster of Glen Catacol is like from my trip there last year. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13728

Great report and pics there, The water clarity is absolutely stunning and the river certainly looks like an easy crossing, however like all of them will be very susceptible to a spate. Doesn't refresh my memory much but have to admit I was only interested in troots back then! Pity you didn't have a picture of Loch Tanna as I still havent seen it! :lol:
jrsmith
Munro compleatist

Munros:19   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby mogeeoh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks very much for all the feedback guys. I suppose I'll take my chances and if need be I'll turn back. I've plenty of time booked off that if needed I can take an extra day to complete my route.

Can't wait, those photographs look stunning!
mogeeoh
Scrambler

Postby janm » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 pm

mogeeoh wrote:Thanks very much for all the feedback guys. I suppose I'll take my chances and if need be I'll turn back. I've plenty of time booked off that if needed I can take an extra day to complete my route.

Hey, I just stumbled across this post and was wondering if you were lucky with the river crossing there :)
janm
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion