walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Only a wee bit of Tinto

Only a wee bit of Tinto

Postby kfrweaving » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Set off today to do Tinto and ended up only doing a wee bit due to rain. :( We arrived in Biggar late morning and had lunch and then set off for the car park. Was with my dad and we had travelled from north Fife, enroute for Dumfries and Galloway! He was keen to do the walk as he had never done the walk before.......despite growing up in Lanarkshire. So i was keen to do the walk as i have always looked at Tinto when we used to visit my grandparents in Symington.....(had a wee visit past the old house, so it brought back happy memories) :D
The walk started off dry, but soon quickly turned to rain. We didn't even make it to the cairn. :( The visability was dire. So, will be going back another time when other hills can be seen clearly! Was looking forward to identifying all the places around the hill with the OS map.
From reading other peoples reports of Tinto and other peoples comments there seem to be a few people who haven't walked Tinto and keep meaning to. I've done only a wee bit of the walk, but want to go back! Such a great landscape :D
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Re: Only a wee bit of Tinto

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Cracking wee hill isn't it ? I see it every day on the horizon, always good to get a good view of the hills in the morning.

Haven't been up it since January, need to get on it before I go to college. Got plans to do it along with Culter Fell and Broad Law in the same day !
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby hailiamdigby » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:36 pm

I did Tinto on April 4th of this year, a day after there had been heavy snowfall.
As we neared the top we were entering cloud and there was a light snow-shower but - up till then - the scenery was nice.
I think it's good that you turned and went back to the car because I've heard the views from the top of Tinto are great and it's probably something I missed out on. With that being said, it was still enjoyable as the wind was up, it was cold and there was lots of snow all around. Makes the day feel more 'wild'.
Hope you get a chance soon to see it in good weather. Maybe check the weather before you and your dad set off?
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby kfrweaving » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:34 pm

We did check the forecast before leaving Fife, but as we went further down the clouds came and went. When we were in Biggar it seemed good and then as we got out to the car park we saw clouds coming, but thought we would give it a go as there were other people going up. But some turned back at the same time as we did!
Definitely will check the forecast next time. It was just that i was travelling down country with my dad and we thought we would go for it..........but, it will have to wait for another time. Next time i want to see the views :D
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion