walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Lyon Munros - please stay away until 20.10

Glen Lyon Munros - please stay away until 20.10

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Hello All,

I just spoke to a very friendy person from the Glen Lyon Estate at Invervar.
They asked me to pass the message on, that preferably they dont want any hillwalkers until the 20th of October.

Reason is that hillwalkers drive the deer away from the estate and deep into the hills...because of that deer cant be shot and they are actually running out of business. They had to lay off one of the stalkers already and find it pretty impossible to find deer when 50 people are walking around on the estate scaring the deer away.

More information here: http://www.chesthill.com/news.php
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Glen Lyon Munros - please stay away until 20.10

Postby charliebloke1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks for sharing this . . I'd been planning to tackle the Glen Lyon Horseshoe the week after next so you've saved me a phone call :)

. . . . . and now I get to plan something else, which is half the fun to me. (I don't get out very much :oops: )
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Glen Lyon Estate, from memory, has an appalling record for trying to dissuade people from walking there. I wonder what makes their deer more skittish than deer anywhere else in Scotland? (In any case, I've always reckoned that I'd be less likely to be scared shitless by a bunch of brightly clad walkers wandering about, than I would of some guy shotting at me, but of course I'm not a deer on the Glen Lyon Estate.)
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Glen Lyon Estate, from memory, has an appalling record for trying to dissuade people from walking there. I wonder what makes their deer more skittish than deer anywhere else in Scotland? (In any case, I've always reckoned that I'd be less likely to be scared shitless by a bunch of brightly clad walkers wandering about, than I would of some guy shotting at me, but of course I'm not a deer on the Glen Lyon Estate.)

Well I can understand them a bit...if they have customers who want to shoot the deer and they cant find any, they are loosing business...guess a hunter wont go back, if they can go to other estates where deer is easier to locate!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 pm

charliebloke1 wrote:Thanks for sharing this . . I'd been planning to tackle the Glen Lyon Horseshoe the week after next so you've saved me a phone call :)

. . . . . and now I get to plan something else, which is half the fun to me. (I don't get out very much :oops: )

Lol thats true...I had to do the same tonight and decided to do the 2 Cruachan Munros instead :-)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Glen Lyon Estate, from memory, has an appalling record for trying to dissuade people from walking there. I wonder what makes their deer more skittish than deer anywhere else in Scotland? (In any case, I've always reckoned that I'd be less likely to be scared shitless by a bunch of brightly clad walkers wandering about, than I would of some guy shotting at me, but of course I'm not a deer on the Glen Lyon Estate.)

I agree - damn Chesthill Estate. Just more scare tactics I think. I have no problem staying away from the areas that they are stalking at the time, but a blanket ban on the entire area for 6 weeks isn't really on these days.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby soulminer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 pm

The question on my mind is -Is it really hunting if the deer are so easily found ?

Saw all these on the other day and they didn't seem too fazed at our presence, or the presence of two people with four dogs !! So, as Cairngormwanderer asked- what makes their deer more skittish ?

IMGP1322 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP1326 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Just turn up in Tweeds and stick some 'bools in yer mooth' and they will more than likely kiss your ass !
soulminer

Postby Fudgie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 pm

I had fancied going there tomorrow but after reading that I've opted for Ben Lui instead. Thanks for the info :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 pm

I agree that is is probably (if not definitely) scare tactics and an attempt at a sort of pre-emptive strike aimed at keeping walkers away. Shortage of deer in Highland Glen shocker - I think not :roll: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby wee black dug » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Hello All,

I just spoke to a very friendy person from the Glen Lyon Estate at Invervar.
They asked me to pass the message on, that preferably they dont want any hillwalkers until the 20th of October.

Is that until 20th October this year, aye?

:?
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby charliebloke1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:23 pm

had fancied going there tomorrow but after reading that I've opted for Ben Lui instead. Thanks for the info

Funny that but that's exactly what I decided upon instead. . . . :D

I know it seems a rough deal to the minority of walkers but these estates have a living to make and i'm not too perturbed if it means money making restrict activities in the highlands for a relatively short period . . . I think it's probably more than needed in the current climate. With my ecologist head on I have to admit that without the gamekeepers & estate management influence I think the highlands wildlife & accessibility would be severely restricted/diminished without them and sad to say become more like the restrictive walking we suffer here in most parts south of the border . . . unless we of course we re-introduce Wolves!
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

Postby hills » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 pm

Hmmn, I think a few folk with long memories will have a rueful smile at this, the chesthill estate has a long and less than chequered past when it comes to trying to dissuade access to walkers.

However, things have improved in recent years, and this is peak stalking time, so this is probably an estate to avoid at this time of year.
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Mountainlove wrote:

Well I can understand them a bit...if they have customers who want to shoot the deer and they cant find any, they are loosing business...guess a hunter wont go back, if they can go to other estates where deer is easier to locate!

Where are these other estates where deer are easier to locate? All you folk who are avoiding Glen Lyon are walking over them and presumably scaring all their deer instead. Curiously, a wee bit more than three decades ago, I went out with a stalker and his client. He didn't get a head that day at all, but was so pleased because he had had a day's 'proper' hunting, where it wasn't just a case of turning up and shooting a beast, but where he had to work for it.
But back to the point, while it is perfectly acceptable for an estate to say they are shooting on a particular hill or coire that day, to attempt a blanket ban like that is not only out of order but completely contrary to the spirit (if perhaps not the letter) of the access legislation which was so hard fought for. I won't interfere with someone's shooting if they act in a responsible manner themselves, but in my book this estate is taking a loan.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby monty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Its weird but in all the places in Scotland I have walked Glen Lyon alone has been the most visibly discouraging. There was an ancient sign on the gate stating that stalking was taking place and basically f off and walk elsewhere. Naturally I ignored this sign and in fact missed the bridge and had to walk directly up the corrie. i saw no deer. i saw and heard no stalkers.

I realise that the estates earn money stalking but this misleading information does them no good at all.

I would like to imagine that they read comments such as this on various websites and maybe in time they will come to understand that truthful up to date information will be respected by walkers. And then they can programme uninterrupted stalking. Maybe ?
monty

Postby hills » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Agree with you there monty,

Been a bit of previous on here as well.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8289&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion