walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Odd things seen on walks

Odd things seen on walks

Postby kfrweaving » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:00 am

During the WHW walk with Chrisabelle we saw many people, some with bikes, bags of all sizes and weird gear. For me the ultimate had to be a woman who had an umbrella for what seemed to be most stages of the walk. The day that seemed the most bizarre was the walk from Kingshouse onwards - up the Devils Staircase! Lashing rain and strong winds! At least she was wearing what seemed to be a good jacket with a hood - but wasn't using it. Not surprisingly the umbrella was broken! But she still continued to use that. Suspect it might have ended up in a bin before Fort William!
What has been the daftest thing people have seen on their walks/climbs?
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Re: Odd things seen on walks

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:19 am

If I rememeber correctly, Nick Crane always carried an umbrella on his walks. See below for his reasoning.

The umbrella has become your trademark, hasn’t it?

Yes, though I don’t understand why it’s so surprising. I first started using one when I was walking across Europe and noticed the Spanish shepherds carrying them. It looked a bit strange, but I found out that – apart from the obvious – they use them for shade during siesta. And they’re also good at fending off wild dogs. What’s more, as a writer taking notes, you can have the most expensive Gore-Tex jacket in the world, but it won’t keep your notebook dry. An umbrella will.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby kfrweaving » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:46 pm

True, very good points made. I can see that in certain temperatures - ie, hot then it would come in useful.
I think perhaps it just looks a bit loopy when it is very windy. But the comment about the notebook is an especially good one. Photos are great, but putting down in words what you are thinking there and then can be better.
For short walks where i don't need the walking poles then a brolly is fine.
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:40 pm

I certainly wouldn't carry an umbrella either.
The things I see in the great outdoors are usually more "Why?" than odd. Like the couple I once met on a valley walk in the Lake District, dressed in expensive, Goretex jackets, trousers and gaiters....and I thought, why are you dressed like that when it's a dry, warm and sunny day?
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Lol I would opt for an numbrella...keeps your hands free for poles, iceaxe etc... :lol: :lol: :lol:
u-thumb-255x287.jpg
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby basscadet » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I know a guy that carries one.. Its actually pretty good for a lunch stop in bad weather, but I wouldnt bother personally.. :wink:
As for other weird stuff. I saw a guy going up Lochnagar in a suit which seemed odd, with dress shoes & everything.. :roll:
But the weirdest thing I have come across is a cheeseboard set up on the Ben Alder trig.. 3 types of cheese and little packs of crackers, with a rather nice penknife left to use for the cheese.. It was atrocious weather, but as someone had gone to the effort I indulged and it was rather tasty :D
Because the weather was so atrocious, I revisited the summit a couple of days later after doing the ridge next door in glorious conditions. Cheese was all gone, but I rescued the knife and it still accompanies me on all my trips.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby whiteburn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:00 am

I carry an umbrella on long distance treks e.g. last couple of weeks on the SUW :D

I'm using a Euroschirm lightweight trekking model (205g) with a DIY system to attach it to the rucksack shoulder straps which leaves the hands free for walking poles, map reading, etc. Found it OK for up to 20 mph wind, above this the umbrella does flip inside out/ distorts which is a bit of a nuisance, it just springs back into shape without any damage but in blustery conditions I'll just stow it.
When its raining cats and dogs for hours it's great to be dawdling along under the brolly rather than encased in full shell, head down with draw strings pulled tight :(

http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/liteflex/info.cgi?session=k6b4p5mdOIxMD&sprache_land=englisch
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:16 am

Umbrellas are wonderful things. I wear glasses. If I put a hood up when it's humid and raining they mist up and I can't see where I'm going. Hoods also mean I can't turn my head properly. In fact I just hate wearing hoods :) Horrible things. I prefer an umbrella all the time. It's the most breathable waterproof there is.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby kfrweaving » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:41 am

mmmmmm......must admit the umbrella is becoming increasingly appealing to stop sunburn as
my skin burns really easy.
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby Chrisabelle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Don't think you have enough hands! Poles....... umbrella.....camera...... something will get dropped :( :roll:
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby wotnowalshy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

A couple of things:

1. In Wainwright's guide for for the Old Man of Coniston he draws his "typical summit "scene showing the boy scouts, tourists and the solitary fellwalker. Many years ago we came across a rather different scene - a buddhist banging a drum and chanting "om mane padme hum", three skinheads in doc martens, and a solitary sheep wetting itself.

2. Not on a walk as such, but driving along Ullswater, we came to a sudden stop as a one legged scuba diver fell over the roadside wall after exiting the lake.

Sadly, no photos of either.
wotnowalshy
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:135
Wainwrights:155   

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that the man himself, Sir Hugh Munro, had minions go up the hill with him and hold an umbrella as he took height readings/notes.

As for things I've seen.... a couple doing it on the banks of a river :shock: :lol:

Also been on the hill with a human hotdog
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby coreen connell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi
First time for posting and thought it would be good to share our latest 'strangest thing' on a summit. Last Monday only 10m short of the summit of Ciste Dhubh we saw a ..... badger!! :shock: No drink was involved :lol: but I always thought they were woodland animals!! Apologies for the poor photo but had to be quick as our dogs were giving the game away. So, is this the strangest thing you've seen on a summit? My husband believes the strangest thing we've seen was on top of Nevis back in June - a 3lb haddock!! :shock: Again, no drink was involved but he reckons that a sea eagle has taken it up there for his dinner but was disturbed by one of our fellow walkers! Apologies for the poor photo but there was quite a bit of clag that day. :(
P1070212.JPG
Bit out of it's depth
P1070212.JPG
Bit out of it's depth
Attachments
P1050987.JPG
Badgers on top!
coreen connell
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:7
Fionas:10   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Lenore » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:57 am

wotnowalshy wrote:A couple of things:

2. Not on a walk as such, but driving along Ullswater, we came to a sudden stop as a one legged scuba diver fell over the roadside wall after exiting the lake.

Sadly, no photos of either.

Hahahaha! Really?!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mamoset » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 am

Was ascending Stonycove Pike along Pasture Bottom with some friends many years ago. We headed up a scrambly route under Raven Crag and stopped for a breather. There was a couple on the track heading out, when the woman decided she needed a toilet break. They had a good look around, but not up :wink: and she snook behind a boulder and duly dropped her pants and proceeded to pee :shock: . Unfortunately it was quite windy, so she couldn't hear the juvenile whooping coming from us at a glaring full moon on show :clap: . Childish I know, but boys will be boys :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion