walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

1st munro meall a choire leith to Ben Lawers

1st munro meall a choire leith to Ben Lawers

Postby Shads » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Im thinking about heading up to the above this Sunday, Ive walked Ben Ghlas and Ben Lawers before but not meall corranaich & meall a choire leith, does anyone have any suggestions on which route I should take to combine them both? :-?
Shads
Hill Bagger

Munros:47   Corbetts:6
Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   

Re: 1st munro meall a choire leith to Ben Lawers

Postby Kevin29035 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Any way you do it, you'll have a road walk back from the top of Lochan na Lairige to Beinn Ghlas car park.

Or you could do them as a natural loop from Glen Lyon, though that's more ascent.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Milesy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 pm

It is straight forward, after Lawers etc come back to the Bealach (has fence posts running across it) between Beinn Ghlas and Meall Corranaich, head staight up to your right, it is only a couple of hundred metres to the summit, then follow the ridge to Meall a' Choire Leith, you can then start heading down into the glen towards the road which will likely be boggy, or stay as high as possible heading back towards Meall Corranaich and then down towards the road.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Driftwood » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:50 pm

When I walked the western four of the Lawers range (MCL, MC, BG and BL) last year, I started from the main carpark (as it was - near the start of the route to the nature trail Beinn Ghlas). Then tended left, rather than heading up BG, to the bealach with MC. I walked over MC, along the very-broad-backed north-northeast ridge over to MCL, then back over MC to do Lawers and BG.
That does involve a bit more height gain and loss, but entirely avoided the bog-slogging everyone seems to mention in the Lochan na Lairige approach. That was back at the end of spring, so the days were long and I could take my time. I've not any experience of the alternatives to compare, but (whichever way you go), I would recommend attention to where you're heading up/down the northeast ridge of Meall Corranaich - I found it all too easy to meander too far to the west, off such path as there is for this stretch.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:59 pm

I did them all in a circular walk from Glen Lyon. Great walk - I made an early start, and was down off the hill by 2 pm in time to drive home to London by midnight ready for work the next morning. Much better than just using the last day of my holiday to drive home.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby simon-b » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi Shads, I did these 4 last year from the old visitor centre car park, it's a good walk. I did it in the order BG, BL, MC, MaCL. The walk back along the minor road by Lochan na Lairige was no problem, and at this time of year should make a safer walk out than coming down BL and BG if light's fading. I'm at work at the moment, no time to post a map. I could post one tonight if you're interested?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Shads » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!!!! Im going go with what Milsey said and head down to the bealach from ben Lawers and ascend the other 2 from here, finishing off at the road to walk back to he car park at ben Lawers. Im not sure how much snows on the hills cause this will slow me down, but I reckon if I start at sunrise I should have plenty time to complete the walk before dark. :D :D :D :D :D
Shads
Hill Bagger

Munros:47   Corbetts:6
Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Milesy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Shads wrote:Thanks for the advice guys!!!! Im going go with what Milsey said and head down to the bealach from ben Lawers and ascend the other 2 from here, finishing off at the road to walk back to he car park at ben Lawers. Im not sure how much snows on the hills cause this will slow me down, but I reckon if I start at sunrise I should have plenty time to complete the walk before dark. :D :D :D :D :D

Snow is pretty much all gone now. 5/6 hours is enough to do it.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 pm

The round of six Munros from Camusvrachan in Glen Lyon is superb, though maybe a bit long for this time of year. Would be a mega-popular classic if it weren't for the easier approaches from the Lairig road: as it is, there are no paths on/off the ridge from that direction!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Stu101 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Did Meall Choire Leith today- bit of snow on the top, but no more than 2/3 inches deep. Wont really slow you down.
Stu101
Munro compleatist

Munros:110   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby neilmci » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:45 am

The western two are a good day out for a winters day.

I did them wwhen they were frozen solid and completely white.

Otherwise they could be quite boring i guess?
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby Fudgie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:00 am

neilmci wrote:The western two are a good day out for a winters day.

I did them wwhen they were frozen solid and completely white.

Otherwise they could be quite boring i guess?

The start (in particular if you head for Meall Corranaich first) and end of the walk is quite boggy. To say the least :shock:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion