walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Remembrance Day in the hills

Remembrance Day in the hills

Postby AlisonFox66 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:41 pm

do you pause at 11 o clock ?
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Remembrance Day in the hills

Postby Meatball » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:25 pm

You should...
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby KeithS » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Not every day, but I always do on remembrance day.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:11 pm

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Meatball wrote:You should...

says who?

each to their own but one of the great joys of the hills for me,especially solo, is forgetting the world below, forgetting the time and enjoying quiet contemplation.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Fellwanderer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:24 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:http://www.leaney.org/lake_district_walk.php?walk_id=1052

These folks did

I was on Gable as well having walked up from Brackenclose via Sty Head and returned on the old pony track. The complete silence is always very moving.
Fellwanderer
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:163
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Meatball » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am

NickyRannoch wrote:
Meatball wrote:You should...

says who?

each to their own but one of the great joys of the hills for me,especially solo, is forgetting the world below, forgetting the time and enjoying quiet contemplation.

We were asked our opinions...that was mine...you have yours!
Meatball

Postby Astronick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 pm

We did. We were on a heathery hill just south of White Bridge on Sunday morning at 11. We spent two minutes in quiet contemplation looking out over the high Cairngorms with snow flurries sweeping up the Geldie and shrouding the Lairig Ghru.
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby bloghog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 pm

We did. We were out on mountain bikes and not particularly high up but we stopped at 11 for some silent contemplation.
bloghog
Mountaineer

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Last year I was on Great Gable on Rememberance Sunday. It was absolutely overloaded with people, but nice to see that so many people respect those who have died for our country. I think the day on Great Gable in particular is to remember the fallen of those who were members of the Fell Rock Climbing Club who died in WWI.

Yes, you don't have to take two minutes on 11/11 at 11am - you can remember them anytime, but this day, Armistice Day marks the end of the First World War, thus why this is the day we traditionally remember the fallen. Why wouldn't you, seems a more appropriate question...?

Its not only about Veterans, but those still fighting for our country....
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:17 pm

dawnfoth wrote:this is the day we traditionally remember the fallen. Why wouldn't you, seems a more appropriate question...?

Because it's institutionalised and, despite all the individual reasons many people have for remembering, once it becomes institutionalised and formalised, it loses much of the personal aspect and teeters a very fine line between remembrance and glorification. We hear much about the glorious dead from those who are still sending people to die and - for me - as a national ceremony, with all the pressure on people to comply with it, it comes perilously close to the bizarre Islamic trick of telling young people they will become martyrs and get a great seat in heaven if they blow themselves up to kill the infidel.
I have every respect for people who serve their country and mourn the loss of young lives or their being blighted by injury, but I will not put it in a box and take it out on one day a year (the end of one amongst far too many wars) to show people how much my heart bleeds. What is the relevance of a particular date anyway? My mother died on a Hallowe'en, but I don't save it all up to Oct 31 to grieve or to miss her - that happens as and when I think of her and Hallowe'en may or may not be one of those times.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Meatball » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:
dawnfoth wrote:this is the day we traditionally remember the fallen. Why wouldn't you, seems a more appropriate question...?

Because it's institutionalised and, despite all the individual reasons many people have for remembering, once it becomes institutionalised and formalised, it loses much of the personal aspect and teeters a very fine line between remembrance and glorification. We hear much about the glorious dead from those who are still sending people to die and - for me - as a national ceremony, with all the pressure on people to comply with it, it comes perilously close to the bizarre Islamic trick of telling young people they will become martyrs and get a great seat in heaven if they blow themselves up to kill the infidel.
I have every respect for people who serve their country and mourn the loss of young lives or their being blighted by injury, but I will not put it in a box and take it out on one day a year (the end of one amongst far too many wars) to show people how much my heart bleeds. What is the relevance of a particular date anyway? My mother died on a Hallowe'en, but I don't save it all up to Oct 31 to grieve or to miss her - that happens as and when I think of her and Hallowe'en may or may not be one of those times.

I find that whole post disrespectful.
That is only my opinion though.
Meatball

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 am

Meatball wrote:
Cairngormwanderer wrote:

I find that whole post disrespectful.
That is only my opinion though.

And that's why I seldom express my opinion. And it backs up my view that there's an almost fascist compulsion on people to take part. What do you find disrespectful? I have said I have every respect for people in the armed forces, I have said I mourn their loss and suffering. What I object to is the compulsory annual festival which to me smacks of glorification rather than remembrance. I don't try to stop people taking part if that's what rows their boat, but I do get **** off when I'm told I'm disrespectful for disagreeing. That is contemptable and to use the cliche about soldiers' sacrifice: people died to protect the right of free speech. Now, under the guise of honouring those people, other people are trying to restrict my free speech and force me into compliance with their will.
That's it. That's my opinion and I don't care what sort of ignorance causes people to criticise me for it or call me 'disrespectful'.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Meatball » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:55 am

My opinion is based on the fact that military lose people day upon day fighting in wars in our name. Whether or not you believe in those conflicts or not I think that to stand still for a couple of minutes in silence is a mark of respect that every uk citizen should do. Respect, something that is sadly missing these days.
I hardly think that makes me a fascist or restricts your free speech.
If people have given their lives to protect this country and you think it doesn't deserve such a gesture then you can choose to ignore it...
You are correct, freedom of expression exists in the uk because people fought and died for that right! You can call it a cliche if you like.
Meatball

Postby Meatball » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:01 am

By the way, I said I thought your post was disrespectful and you then went on to say that my opinion F***ed you off and that I was ignorant. Quite a statement and looks like an attempt at trolling!
Meatball

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion