walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Nevis/disabled walker

Ben Nevis/disabled walker

Postby Heatherscott » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:40 am

I do not profess to be a walker in any way, shape or form but wanted to hear viewpoints of experienced walkers/climbers

My son in law is involved in a plan to take his friend's disabled teenager up the Tourist route to summit Ben Nevis in early June. The young man in question has cerebral palsy which has significantly affected his gait - he can walk with aids but often uses a wheelchair so has little leg strength.

The plan is for a party of 4 to attempt the walk... the lad himself, his father and two additional walkers to help carry/assist the boy. One of these is my son in law - who has little mountain experience but who will rely on strength to carry him through - the other helper does have more mountain experience but also had to be airlifted from Nevis himself a few years ago.

I have significant concerns re the feasibility of the plan- as do other members of my family who are walkers/climbers-it feels like a newspaper headline waiting to happen. I fear that they could be putting not only themselves, but potentially others at risk.

Your comments/input v much appreciated
Heatherscott

Re: Ben Nevis/disabled walker

Postby Rudolph » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 am

Don't write it off immediately - but they'll need to do a trial first on a much lower hill to see how they get on. Choose one that is rough and has a 2-300m climb. If they manage that then think about doing a bigger one.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Milesy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:26 am

Don't fix yourself to an exact date. Weather conditions will either make it or break it. Be flexible to allow the best weather conditions. You don't want to be up in a hoolie, but likewise a hot sunny June day can be very hard work toiling up the path with the sun beating on you.

This is just my opinion but don't waste all your resources in getting the lad up the hill. Make sure there are someone(s) who are fresh and able to help with potentially the last part of the descent.

I recommend you could do a trial run on The Ben and head up to say - "the half way Lochan" and back down to the youth hostel again and see how he and his helpers manage.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 pm

It's not a stupid idea - others have done it - but I think you will need more than four, and probably people who have more experience too. Carrying someone sounds fairly simple on a pavement, but it's much harder work and potentially dangerous when you're exhausted yourself and on a rough, bouldery path. A pretty high degree of fitness will be required.
Follow the advice already given here and try out on a much smaller hill first - and stay flexible about when you do it.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Oh, and it probably wouldn't do any harm to liaise with the Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team. They'll probably appreciate you seeking advice and will be able to offer the best advice.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm

I have always worked with people with learning disabilities and physical disabilities, and it is fantastic when individuals with disabilities achieve something that the rest of us take for granted. Having said that, I appreciate your concerns, if the hike is not well-planned, etc.

Capability Scotland have successfully led teams of disabled walkers, including wheelchair users, up and down Ben Nevis a couple of times now, and I'm pleased to see they are repeating the fund-raising challenge again this year...

http://www.capability-scotland.org.uk/news-events/events/ben-nevis-challenge-2013/

I suggest the individuals you are concerned about either link in with Capability Scotland and do the hike with them in August, or contact them for advise.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:20 pm

There is some very good advice here and the only thing I would add is that there was snow on the top at the start of June last year. Not a great deal but just something to take into consideration and the best of luck with it.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby missMHK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi - I was going up Goatfell earlier this year & we met a group supporting a young man with cerebal palsy, there were about 6 strapping men who had him roped up to them and were almost hoisting him in sections when he couldn't support his own weight.

We met them coming off the summit & had a brief chat - the supporting adults looked very fit & experienced but it looked like it was a really hard slog for everyone.

I would definitely advise taking more people with more experience & think about ropes + safety equipment for him (helmet, elbow/knee pads etc just incase). Work on fitness & allow about double the amount of time recommended.

Finally, the young lad I saw was beaming with pride & excitement. Very hard work but worth it I'd say (as a casual observer!). Just as long as it's done safely. Hope this has helped and not made you feel worse?!
missMHK

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby sloosh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Have to agree with the other posters - the party needs more people for the lifting. Someone floated that 6 people successfully did a walk in similar circumstances but personally I would suggest at least 8 people to rotate through.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Heatherscott » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my post. Lots of useful and v sensible comments which I will pass on to my son in law. I feel somewhat reassured by the positive nature of your replies - will log on again in June and let you all know if they made it!

Thanks again.
Heatherscott

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion