walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn Dearg and Allt Sheicheachain

Beinn Dearg and Allt Sheicheachain

Postby kevinmatthews83 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 am

Alright folks.

Myself and a few friends are thinking about staying in Allt Sheicheachain Bothy on Saturday the 2nd of February and then walking Beinn Dearg on the Sunday, I was just wondering if anyone had stayed in the bothy recently and if the condition was ok etc? And also roughly how long it will take to walk into the bothy? We will most likely be parking at Old Blair (as per instruction from Cameron McNeish's munro book!) unless anyone has any better suggestions?

I'm just new to this site but I am hugely impressed with the information it contains, since joining I've found myself spending a couple hours a night going through all areas of the site lol, and still got plenty more to look at!

Thanks in advance for any help, Kevin
kevinmatthews83
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:2

Re: Beinn Dearg and Allt Sheicheachain

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 am

Hey there

It took me 2:20 to get to the bothy, and about the same again to the summit of Beinn Dearg the next morning. Pretty easy pace all the way I'd say. I found the bothy a bit cold and breezy, I'm sure the door didn't shut properly or something like that. Was nearly a year ago I was there so it could have changed. We got in too late to start a fire, but if you get one going it would be a great bothy.

We parked beyond Old Blair, way up by the first locked gate we came up (ssh ;) ). The estate probably wouldn't have been too happy had they found the car. I wasn't driving.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby UncleSimes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 am

I'm planning on doing the same thing exactly a week later, so please be sure to post a detailed trip report so I know what to expect! :D

PS - Some leftover coal in the bothy would be much appreciated too! :D
UncleSimes
Mountain Walker

Munros:225   
Hewitts:1

Postby IamAJMiller » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

Hi there. I was there a few months ago and it seemed fine, clean enough and definitely 'spend-the-night-worthy'!! That said, I was just taking a look as I passed it, I didn't stay there overnight.

Old Blair is a good place to start and I cycled (shock horror!! ;-) ) along Glen Banvie, past the bothy and left the bike at the head of the Allt Sheicheachain. It's a wide track all the way to this point. From here the path up to Beinn Dearg is steep at first but no real problems. My route back was on the track which goes SSE and eventually skirts above the firing range in Glen Tilt. On a bike this last part was absolutely fantastic and took all of 20 minutes!! It's really nice open countryside so I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Apologies for posting mountain bike stories on a walkers' forum! :-D
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby kevinmatthews83 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks very much guys for the info, it's much appreciated. Roughly 2 hours was what I thought it would take, and hopefully the door has been fixed, although we are intending on taking plenty of coal etc so it might not matter too much...

Going on a bike sounds great but it might not be the best time of the year for that haha, think we'll just stick to the safety of our feet haha.

And if there is any coal left I'll be sure to leave it, but going by my bothy trips last year there isn't much chance, magazines and other flammable items were getting launched in as the fire was dying ha! We'll be sure to leave the place nice and clean though :)
kevinmatthews83
Munro compleatist

Postby dawnfoth » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Hiya, I took a good peek in the bothy in the last half of last year. It is split into two sections. One half is just a run down cobbled floor, but it looked like work was being carried out to it. In the other section, was a park type bench and I counted the beds, but for the life of me I can't remember. There are at least two - four if you are lucky, but I guess the park bench might come in handy. :lol:

Looked like a good bothy to me. You gonna bag the corbetto while you are there? I didn't realise it was there, so will no doubt be heading back up there, but probably not for a number of years yet.

Have fun and let us know how you got on - one of my friends recommended 'crackle logs' or something from Morrisons supermarket....????? (Apparently they are light for carrying in). :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:34 pm

dawnfoth wrote:I guess the park bench might come in handy.

I slept on that park bench in there a few years back. Well, when I say "slept", I use the term extremely loosely. :lol: Still probably the coldest and longest night of my life! :( 'Tis a nice bothy though. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby jmoran12 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:14 pm

was in the bothy on the 14th jan . the door is still not fixed . carried in a bag of coal took me just under 3 hours due to the heavy snow . a lot quicker on the way out as a tractor had been along the path the next day day and having burned all the coal . note in the bothy says door is getting fixed in march / april . couple a mice kicking about as well . . took me about 2 and 1/2 hours up munro . the zig zag path was covered in snow about a foot deep . bit of a slog up and down, bothy in good condition apart from door . stil closes but bit of a draught coming from it .
jmoran12
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   

Postby kevinmatthews83 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Cheers for the info lads..

My mate is taking his dog so hopefully he'll deal with the mice!
kevinmatthews83
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion