walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking with a Baby

Walking with a Baby

Postby RussellMcNaughton » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi, Just wondering if anyone out there has done much walking with a baby? Myself and my girlfriend would like to go out and do some walking with our baby and have bought a back-pack/baby-carrier. Obviously we would't think about doing anything big but just wondering how other people have got on.
RussellMcNaughton
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Walking with a Baby

Postby tenohfive » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:37 pm

I've done a few Wainwrights with my daughter, she was 4 months when we did a few fells in September. It was a bit of a taster and it went really well - I'll be dragging her back and doing an all day route now I know she can handle a decent spell being carried. If anything she seems to enjoy it, as long as the wind isn't too strong and in her face.

Perhaps I should but I just don't see having a baby as a huge obstacle to getting into the hills - it just needs a bit more planning and forethought with regards to weather and route.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby tenohfive » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:39 pm

I would add that I spent a lot of time checking reviews and shopping around to get the right kit for her - I found that TNF do excellent fleece suits if you're prepared to order from the US, and the Bushbaby Hot Tot is an excellent water and windproof outer layer.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:52 pm

you need to keep carrying them regularly because they grow rather heavy rather quickly - and make sure your little one is well wrapped up. you will be generating heat when walking, they won't
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Good idea to stick to "safe" routes. I've occasionally slipped / tripped and landed on my back, which was cushioned by my rucksack - ....now if that had been a baby carrier on my back...
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby RussellMcNaughton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks everyone, gonna try do a couple of small hills this week if the weather is ok. Thanks for the advice.
RussellMcNaughton
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Rekrab » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:58 am

we took out daughter wild camping and up beinn ghlas and ben lawers when she was 4 months old. carried her up in a sling. then when I got a Rucksack for her I carried her up most of the Welsh 3000ers (not the scrambly ones)

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby luibnaclach » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:43 am

stayed at loch ossian hostel in june 2012,two families with 4 youngsters from 9 month to about 10 years were there.their PLANNING and ORGANISATION say them through local monroes with ease,as well as integrating nicely with the other various folks in there,

children may mean change,but not the end

just give thumbs up for JAN the resident warden whilst im on here
luibnaclach
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion