walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Venue hill trail closed - advice please

Ben Venue hill trail closed - advice please

Postby coachmacca » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Folks you may have seen in my walk report I discoverd too late that the Ben Venue hill trail is closed at the last forest stretch for felling.

Whats the rule of thumb here?

Do you respect and not proceed? Make a saftey judgement call and go in at your own peril etc?

As a newbie i dont want to "break the rules" if its not the done thing - it was annoying though :(

Ben Venue loop by coachmacca, on Flickr
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Ben Venue hill trail closed - advice please

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:05 pm

I come across these signs regularly and usually choose to ignore them.
During the week there may well be felling taking place however more often than not there does not tend to be felling taking place at the weekend (esp Sunday). Also unlikely to be felling taking place if there is snow.

When there is felling taking place, I have found that it is often taking place well away from the tracks anyway.

The signs are there for Health & Safety purposes. If you do choose to ignore them, you are obviously doing so at your own risk.

I have also come across these in an area with a circa one-foot depth of peat. :roll:
foggieclimber

Postby kmsharp » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:57 pm

At the weekend, and especially on a Sunday, I'd just ignore them. On a week day I would probably ignore them as well, though I'd be more vigilant while walking.

Keith.
kmsharp

Munros:2   Corbetts:8
Fionas:25   Donalds:82
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby coachmacca » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Great cheers folks - tbh thought however by companions likes to get a second opinion. On everything :crazy: .
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm still waiting to find out what this sign was about .......................
2012_1202test0069.JPG

Whatever it was I'm sure it was really really dangerous :shock:
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:07 am

Gavin,is it not near the entrance to this cave?
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby coachmacca » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 am

coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Seamus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Think you pretty much summed it up Coachmacca 'Make a saftey judgement call and go in at your own peril etc?'.. That would be my chosen option..
Seamus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:1

Postby coachmacca » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Seamus wrote:Think you pretty much summed it up Coachmacca 'Make a saftey judgement call and go in at your own peril etc?'.. That would be my chosen option..

Cheers Seamus - exactly the response I was hoping to hear from people with experience :wink:

peril... I laugh in your face 8) . As long as I have map, compass, whistle, torch, layers, food, water, ice axe/crampons (where required) etc etc but you know what I mean :wink:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby ConnieW » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm

In this case you are better off going up the other route, from Ledard farm, Kinlochard.
We went up the alternative path the forestry comission had initially designed on the approach you tried, it was a total mudbath, so we went down on where the old path would have been. I would not recommend it. The next time we were in the area they had removed the detour signs. It had obviously become impassable.
ConnieW

Munros:94   Corbetts:43
Fionas:21   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jester » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:15 am

coachmacca wrote:Folks you may have seen in my walk report I discoverd too late that the Ben Venue hill trail is closed at the last forest stretch for felling.

Whats the rule of thumb here?

Do you respect and not proceed? Make a saftey judgement call and go in at your own peril etc?

As a newbie i dont want to "break the rules" if its not the done thing - it was annoying though :(

Ben Venue loop by coachmacca, on Flickr

Sorry, I can't see photos on this PC. Paths can be shut for forestry operations, however if an alternative is available it's good practice to signpost it. If you think the signage was poor, or perhaps in place when it shouldn't be, you should contact the local Access Officer. pictures/grid references are always useful.
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby coachmacca » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Jester , no actually I thought the signage was fine - easy to spot and the wee chap is very cheefrful looking lol , just might have better to also have one at the Ben Venue car park as opposed half way up the hill :wink:

Its mostly me being a relative newbie thats the issue as I wasn't sure of alternate routes (beyond plotting myself via map..) or whether the community did as other suggested and proceeded with caution...

For reference the grid ref is NN492059 ... can someone check that as its also testing my OS reference skills!

Its where the trail splits on three - its Defo NN4905 and its the top right quadrant - the reason im asking is Im using a Silva 4 and the romar markings run Left to right/top to bottom 10-0 so I assume you have to reverse the numbers...

I'd like to add at this point Im heading to Glenmore on Friday for training on stuff like this!

I have just realised at this point you probably mean giving the Access officer a grid ref is useful.. not this forum :crazy: :crazy: :roll:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Angus Loon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 pm

I did this route last August and came up against this same sign. They have marked out an alternative route through the forest on the south side of Gleann Riabhach but this was very muddy, slippy and unpleasant. There is also a burn to cross at the top of the glen which may be difficult in spate.
Angus Loon
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:73
Fionas:9   Donalds:12
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:9   

Postby coachmacca » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Angus Loon wrote:I did this route last August and came up against this same sign. They have marked out an alternative route through the forest on the south side of Gleann Riabhach but this was very muddy, slippy and unpleasant. There is also a burn to cross at the top of the glen which may be difficult in spate.

Hi Angus , sadly there wasn't an alternative route mapped at this point that I could see (unless it was at the car park - I did realise I hadn't looked at the info board before setting off....)
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion