walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Arrochar a new 5 star hotel

Arrochar a new 5 star hotel

Postby lackie14 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 am

Just heard about the new proposals being discussed about a new 5 star hotel with marine and helipad being planned for arrochar, another marine for the so called elite?
I understand that arrochar as well as the rest of Scotland need jobs but this country is fast becoming a nation of waiters and waitresses

How many scots using this site will be mooring their yachts there?
lackie14

Munros:12   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:9

Re: Arrochar a new 5 star hotel

Postby colgregg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 am

lackie14 wrote:Just heard about the new proposals being discussed about a new 5 star hotel with marine and helipad being planned for arrochar, another marine for the so called elite?
I understand that arrochar as well as the rest of Scotland need jobs but this country is fast becoming a nation of waiters and waitresses

That's good for some but what the hell am I going to do without a runway for the Learjet!! Mind you i bet a lot of the waiters/esses will be from abroad.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Rudolph » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 am

I've no real problem with this. Can't see that being a 5 star hotel makes it any worse than a Butlins. Now if it was somewhere unspoiled...... :wink: Of course i don't know what effect it would have on land access in the area...

I think you'd be surprised just how normal many people are who club together to hire a yacht for a week in the summer. In general sailing in Scotland (and use of Marinas) is a lot more egalitarian than it is in Monaco and Cowes.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby lackie14 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 am

Just having a wee rant,
instead of a hotel why didn,t they plan for something like a world class outdoor centre where children and adults from all over Britain , Europe etc could visit and enjoy the outdoors this would do more for tourism in the long run than simply building another highland butlins :wink: .

Am Away back ta ma cave
lackie14

Postby Gythral » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 am

lackie14 wrote:Just heard about the new proposals being discussed about a new 5 star hotel with marine and helipad being planned for arrochar, another marine for the so called elite?

No waiter or waitress jobs for Scots - they'll hire eastern Europeans that will work for next to nothing & for less than 6 months a year & so that a few Scots and loads for others can use the facilities and they'll pay tax in some tax haven channeling the money via the Netherlands or Eire, and the staff will pay income tax elsewhere as well!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141

Postby laconic surf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:51 am

The disintergration of british industry is the real problem, leaving a generation of school leavers heading into call centres and other no skilled/low paid work. These waiter jobs are there for the scottish as well as Eastern Europeans but british people think they are above it and refuse to do it, hence other people are recruited from the continent. I'm sure most business would rather employ locals who'll stick around but too many would prefer to sit around on the dole. I'm not sure the fact that workers are "foreign" has any relevance.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm

lackie14 wrote:Just having a wee rant,
instead of a hotel why didn,t they plan for something like a world class outdoor centre where children and adults from all over Britain , Europe etc could visit and enjoy the outdoors this would do more for tourism in the long run than simply building another highland butlins

Arrochar already has an outdoor centre, how many do you want? That area is quite run-down, a new build will bring jobs and trade for local businesses. You just sound jealous of anyone wealthier than yourself.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Rudolph » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 pm

lackie14 wrote: why didn,t they plan for something like a world class outdoor centre where children and adults from all over Britain , Europe etc could visit

It's a good question but the answer is simple.

Profit - the only thing that drives commercial investment.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2

Postby Avocetboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Sounds bloody good to me.....Nice walk up The Cobbler with the missus and then relax my aching limbs in a bit of 5 star luxury
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Gythral wrote:

No waiter or waitress jobs for Scots - they'll hire eastern Europeans that will work for next to nothing & for less than 6 months a year & so that a few Scots and loads for others can use the facilities and they'll pay tax in some tax haven channeling the money via the Netherlands or Eire, and the staff will pay income tax elsewhere as well!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

The Daily Mail has spoken.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby lackie14 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
lackie14 wrote:Just having a wee rant,
instead of a hotel why didn,t they plan for something like a world class outdoor centre where children and adults from all over Britain , Europe etc could visit and enjoy the outdoors this would do more for tourism in the long run than simply building another highland butlins

Arrochar already has an outdoor centre, how many do you want? That area is quite run-down, a new build will bring jobs and trade for local businesses. You just sound jealous of anyone wealthier than yourself.

not at all caberfeidh i would much rather spend a night at the bothy along the road rather in a five star hotel mate. i understand the community needs jobs and trade, as i have been going to the area since i was a teen. as the wife points out its just change i don't like
lackie14

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion