walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ochils Advice - Routes!

Ochils Advice - Routes!

Postby grantyg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi all
I`ve been up the usual dumyat/andrew gannel hill/ben cleuch and over to glen devon.
My question is - has anyone here done a route that starts at Dumyat and takes in - Blair Denon Hill, Ben Buck, Ben Cleuch, Andrew Gannel, Skythorn, white whisp hill and ending somewhere on the east side like Muckhart?
I`m looking at the route for a sponsored event for the Mountain Safety Trust and any help on routes to cross the ochs would be great! The only tricky bit I can see is heading off dumyat down the east side.
Grant
www.mountainsafetytrust.co.uk
grantyg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ochils Advice - Routes!

Postby hakirby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:48 pm

the east side of Dumyat is easy to go down. It was always the way we go up. what you'd have to do is get down on the access road in Menstrie Glen, just before you hit the eastern tip of the Loss Dam, then head up past Jerah Farm Ruins, up that hill, and then it's pretty much easy going all the way along.
hakirby
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby grantyg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Excellent that sounds good - I`ll try that out seperatly
Now the ending at the moment I`m looking at Whitewisp hill the along glen quey reservoir to end at the other reservoir car park.
grantyg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:27 pm

grantyg wrote:Hi all
I`ve been up the usual dumyat/andrew gannel hill/ben cleuch and over to glen devon.
My question is - has anyone here done a route that starts at Dumyat and takes in - Blair Denon Hill, Ben Buck, Ben Cleuch, Andrew Gannel, Skythorn, white whisp hill and ending somewhere on the east side like Muckhart?
I`m looking at the route for a sponsored event for the Mountain Safety Trust and any help on routes to cross the ochs would be great! The only tricky bit I can see is heading off dumyat down the east side.
Grant
www.mountainsafetytrust.co.uk

The best person to ask would be Dave Hewitt on here,knowes the Ochils like the back of his hand.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby AlisonFox66 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Did a similar traverse taking in King's Seat as well
went east to west as transport was better

it took me around 8 hours in summer when I was younger

East side of Dumyat is usually ok - never had any problems in normal weather
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jmacewan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Have a look at the route of the Ochil 2000s race, doing a version of it in reverse might suit your needs:

http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/RaceDetails.aspx?RaceID=RA-0203

Whatever way you go to and from Blairdenon is likely to be the worst bit in terms of bog (explored many different routes and never quite sure what is the best) the rest of the route would all be on grass taking in trods or quad tracks.
jmacewan

Postby Dave Hewitt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:54 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:The best person to ask would be Dave Hewitt on here,knowes the Ochils like the back of his hand.

Thanks – although I keep finding little neuks and corners that are new to me (thank goodness), and I don’t know the northern side anywhere near as well as the Hillfoot slopes.

grantyg wrote:has anyone here done a route

As Mr MacEwan says, the Ochil 2000s route could well serve as a template. The connection between Dumyat and the main range is deceptive – the glen gets steadily deeper and more fiddly to cross the more you try and straighten out the line, so as hakirby says aim for somewhere towards the east end of the Lossburn reservoir – there’s a reasonable quality path goes down the north side to here, might be worth checking out beforehand.

The stretch over the 540m bumps and so towards Blairdenon has various options, as there are useful grassy ATV tracks here and there. It can be worthwhile losing a bit of extra height in the dip before the rise to the Greenforet/Blairdenon ridge, as the ground closer to the fence tends to be boggier. Getting from Blairdenon to the col before Ben Buck is the crux in terms of route-finding – I’ve crossed this upwards of 40 times one way or the other and still haven’t found a guaranteed dry route over the middle bit. The initial meander down off Blairdenon by the grassy path/track is very pleasant and straightforward, however – but the track then just sort of stops in a hollow and it’s a case of tussock-hopping and squelch-leaping for a few minutes after that. There is the option of swinging to the south a bit, where the track – still quite squelchy, but not too bad – heads towards Craighorn (which is a nice summit, worth taking in).

Once you’re up on to Ben Buck it should be straightforward all the way to Whitewisp/Innerdownie – clear paths throughout. In terms of a Muckhart finish, if you wanted to spice things up a bit at the end you could drop into upper Glen Quey (worth recceing the deer fences on Whitewisp beforehand, as there aren’t as many stiles/gates as there should be), then climb back up on to Commonedge (possibly via the minor diversion of Castleton Hill, which is a pleasant spot). Seamab is then the obvious and rather shapely target, and from there a Woodland Trust path system gets you down to Muckhart pretty directly – again it would be worth recceing this section beforehand.

AlisonFox66 wrote:it took me around 8 hours in summer when I was younger

A couple of other Ochil regulars and I once did a traverse that took in every 600m bump we could find. We counted 23 of them, including some that are so minor that you’d hardly notice they were there – Ben Buck Far SW Top, Ben Cleuch NW Top, Whitewisp SE Top and so on. Took us just over eight hours – walking steadily but not rushing, and with a couple of proper snack stops en route. Good day out.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Derek Wardlaw » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:19 pm

Check my route description (with a Viewranger compatible downlaodable route map at the bottom) of 10 Ochil Hills walk starting at Glendevon and finishing at the Sherrifmuir road at Dumyat, the route is approximately 20 miles and takes in Innerdownie, The White Wisp, Tarmangie Hill, Kings Seat, Andrew Gannel Hill, Ben Cleuch, Ben Buck, Blairdenon Hill, Colsnaur Hill and Dumyat ......I think its on page 8 of the Ochil Hill reports and is entitled "Ochil Hills 10 from Glendevon"

Hope this is of some help.
Derek.
Derek Wardlaw

Munros:282   Corbetts:70
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Eskimo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:58 am

Hi,

Not sure if this will fit your plans at all but maybe you will get a few snippets from it that can help.

A friend of mine and I planned out an extended version of the Round of Nine route. From what I can recall it went something like this....

Beginning at the Scout Hut in Menstrie, take the usual path up Dumyat then descend to Lossburn Reservoir. From here we headed to Myreton Hill via the Jerrah ruins, picking up the track that heads up from Menstrie. We then followed the fence line from the summit up to Colsnaur. I love this hill and its summit! From here we headed up to Blairdennon which gives a real sense of remoteness. It was then a trudge to Ben Ever trying to avoid the bog! Tricky navigation here in bad weather!, Back track now to Ben Cleuch then onwards to The Law. Re-trace your steps and take the path to Andrew Gannel. Kingseat is next then onwards to Tarmangie, Whitewhisp, and Innerdownie. Pit stop at the Tormaukin Hotel. Head along the main road to the start of Castlehill Reservoir and up through the plantation to Auchlinsky Hill, onto Commonedge, take an easy daunder along to Seamab and down to the Inn at Muckhart for a pint!

Hope that can help you a little.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion