walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Colonsay View Indicator Plate missing

Colonsay View Indicator Plate missing

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:58 pm

A friend shared this on Facebook, now prove the power of Walk Highlands! " Prove the power of Facebook: this bronze view indicator plate has been removed from the remote island of Colonsay – it is 75 years old and it matters. Please circulate this picture to all friends on Facebook - you can help us get it back. Information in confidence to Crimestoppers , Crime Ref. LB01220612 or write to Missing Plate, Colonsay, PA61 7YW or email byrne@colonsay.org.uk Plate can be left at any police station or church labelled “please call 01951 200320 to arrange return to Colonsay”."
Colonsay veiwfinder.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Colonsay View Indicator Plate missing

Postby Allan77 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Allan77
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby andyfitz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Read about this in Oban times a while back. Suspect the thieving ar&e has flogged it for scrap by now. Worth a shout tho. I wish the thieving toe-rag nothing but misery.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby MG1976 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 pm

What a sorry thread to read. Just no words to explain some peoples actions.
Colonsay is special place to me; I have spent at least 1 week every year on this beautiful island from year 0 to my 25th birthday.
It is one of those rare places where almost everyone knows everyone else. Until recently (last 10 years) no doors were locked, no passing another car without stopping for a chat. A proper island community. I still the time when we (the family) would turn up at the shop/petrol station/post office/gossip hub, to find from Keith ( STILL the shop owner, the post master, and the man to tell you when you can cross The Strand to Oransay) was out delivering the post.

You used to be able to let yourself in, take what you needed, leaving your money on the counter.
Alas, these days are gone.

Caberfeidh, you're spot on, this does matter!
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby islayhawk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Well said MG1976. I live on Islay and we are lucky to have the same community spirit as Colonsay.
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion