walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How to sleep...

How to sleep...

Postby ADavies » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:37 pm

OK Last night I was camping in Dunwich, to find to find out how cold I could go with my current gear. I found my limit! But i had real issues getting comfortable. At home I toss and turn in my sleep, but always start on my front, and end up on my side. Last night I found my self getting in all sorts of knots with my bag all messed up as i turned over. Should I be able to move more freely inside my bag or could it be too small, or tight? Im not a small slender chap either at 105 Kg with a 36" waist and XL tops.

Now I know my tent is too small as I hit both ends when laying down and with my pack in there as well don't have any room to roll either.

Any ideas on how to get a better nights sleep??
ADavies
Scrambler

Hewitts:4

Re: How to sleep...

Postby mrssanta » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 pm

rolling is easier if you have a silk bag liner which is nice and sheer, very light and keeps your bag clean.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Circles » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Genius! I'm getting one! I've never heard of them before but sounds like a great idea!...now all I want to hear is that silk is midge repellant!
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:37 pm

ADavies wrote:OK Last night I was camping in Dunwich, to find to find out how cold I could go with my current gear. I found my limit! But i had real issues getting comfortable. At home I toss and turn in my sleep, but always start on my front, and end up on my side. Last night I found my self getting in all sorts of knots with my bag all messed up as i turned over. Should I be able to move more freely inside my bag or could it be too small, or tight? Im not a small slender chap either at 105 Kg with a 36" waist and XL tops.

Now I know my tent is too small as I hit both ends when laying down and with my pack in there as well don't have any room to roll either.

Any ideas on how to get a better nights sleep??

I agree with mrssanta, a silk liner is a must, go for a cotton and you will feel like your being strangled :crazy: , at least I do, not only does a silk liner allow movement it keeps your sleeping bag clean, enjoy your night sleep, mind you it will set you back about £30.00 :roll: but well worth it :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Rudolph » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:21 pm

ADavies wrote:Any ideas on how to get a better nights sleep??

I find making up a decent pillow helps. Spare clothes or a down jacket wrapped in a fleece. Make sure you sleep with your head at the high end. If the tent is pitched at an angle to a slope you'll roll downhill onto the side walls. That can be tricky to achieve if the wind and slope are telling you to pitch 2 different ways.

Also practice. It sounds daft but your body adapts and will learn how to get a good nights sleep as you get used to all the 'embuggerances'.

Finally your other thread said you were really cold. That's never going to go well.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Belgian_Hiker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Many things can help. Personally speaking, being warm and comfortable is the key.
*A sleeping bag suited to the temperature. One that fits closely is warmer and less prone to the tangled experience you encountered.
*An inflatable mat helps smooth out rough underground and with the right amount of air in it, will also help you rolling off it in the night.
*Going to sleep when you are warm is important - a quick jog on the spot helps and or drink something warm.
* A decent pillow such as Therm-a-rest compressible pillow works wonders.
* A tent inner that is not all mesh will be warmer.

Good luck in your search !
Belgian_Hiker
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Matthew C » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:22 pm

I normaly find that a full days walk & one or two drams helps :lol: :-D :thumbup:
Matthew C
Mountain Walker

Munros:177   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 pm

mrssanta wrote:rolling is easier if you have a silk bag liner which is nice and sheer, very light and keeps your bag clean.

I still remember one of your old posts, were you told us that you can make them yourself...still think it is a great idea!!! (at some point I will get around to do it :D )

As for a good night sleep...I had the same problem and found that a change of sleeping bags did the trick. I moved to a down one and never had any problems with it. I bought it in a long lengh, which is great ,as I dont need the lengh, but it is handy to have.I also wrap myself in a fleece blanket inside the sleeping bag (for extra warmth) and use thick socks (if you go for warm socks, use the really warm ones they sell for example at Sports Direct - 3.5tog for about 5-6 Pounds.

I agree with the pillow...if I go camping and have my car near by, I take my 'normal' pillow from home...nothing works better!!! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Rogue » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Most important thing in my opinion is ear plugs. Regardless of how (or perhaps because of) quiet the spot is, you'll hear all sorts of sounds in the night which will disturb your sleep. Rain, wind, flapping tent. Not to mention werewolves.
Personally, I hate liners as I always find they get tangled up around my legs.
Neoair and a m.e xero550 or rab quantum 400 work for me.
Rogue
Munro compleatist

Munros:80   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion