walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Fastest Munro round ... ??

Fastest Munro round ... ??

Postby starrynights » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Anyone know what the fastest record is for completing the Munro's ... by a wummin? And by that I mean in days, not hours - although that would be interesting too. I've googled it but can only find info on record breaking men!! :roll: Cheers :)
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Re: Fastest Munro round ... ??

Postby balgonie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 am

Hi starrynights, (nice name)
The first woman to complete a continuous round of the Munros was Karhy Murgatroyd started 1/05/82 and finished 11/09/82 taking 134 days
So maybe she was, there's a book called 'The Munro Phenomenon' tells all of the very first, fastest, youngest etc I've not finished it yet so if it does mention the fastest woman I'll be sure to let you know :-)
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby balgonie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 am

Might I also add she never used a car to get from place to place she used a bike which is a challenge in itself! :) dare I say it 'Girl Power' :-D
balgonie
Mountaineer

Postby starrynights » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks for that balgonie :)
I'm a bit surprised a 'continuous' round hasn't been done in less than a hundred days by a girlie. (Sorry Ms M .. not knocking that great achievement! :clap: ) The record set by Spyke (Stephen Pyke) - just 39 days and 9 hours seems unbeatable, although I'm sure someone will do it eventually.
I was looking for the fastest female non-continuous round - relying on the old fashioned method of driving :wink: to get from range to range etc. If you come across that in your book I'd appreciate an update. May well have a read of that myself. :)
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby balgonie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:46 pm

The book was published in 1994 so no doubt new records has been achieved since then! The thought of all Munros in 39 day 9hrs doesn't bare thinking about, I bet all his pics are just blurs :-)
balgonie
Mountaineer

Postby starrynights » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 pm

I'd be amazed if he had time to take any!! He did it for charity, so a big well done to him. A bit too gruelling to even think about for me though. :think: ... makes we want to run for the duvet :)
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby Dave Hewitt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Don’t know about the fastest by whatever means female round, but Kate Weyman (accompanied by Stuart Clements) did what I believe was a continuous round in 113 days in 1990 – starting on Ben Hope 1 July, ending on Bruach na Frithe 21 October. There was also a round by Lorraine McCall in 2005, but she took 141 days over it – starting Ben Hope 16 April, ending Ben Nevis 3 September. There might well have been more.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby rohan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:57 pm

I was lucky enough to meet Spyke when I organised a talk by him for the local group of the John Muir Trust and I can confirm that he stopped and took photos and admired wild flowers on his round. He had a support vehicle but he himself travelled between the hills by bike and canoe. He also came across as a lovely unpretentious and modest guy, someone who really appreciates the mountains.
His partner is a pretty mean fell runner (a british champion) and Spyke reckoned that she was faster than him so maybe......
rohan

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion