walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cameron's Viewpoint: The Future of Cape Wrath - it’s...

Cameron's Viewpoint: The Future of Cape Wrath - it’s...

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 am

In the first of his new monthly Viewpoint columns on Walkhighlands, outdoors writer, broadcaster and mountain walker, Cameron McNeish challenges walkers to act to protect future access to Cape Wrath.

Cameron McNeish wrote:THE proposed sale of 58 acres around the Cape Wrath Lighthouse to the Ministry of Defence doesn’t appear to have stirred the Scottish hill-going public very much.

The MoD already own much of The Parph, the area known as the Cape Wrath peninsula, but at the moment the most north-western point, containing the lighthouse and associated buildings...

Read the full column here.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Cameron's Viewpoint: The Future of Cape Wrath - it’s...

Postby GableNovice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:41 am

Very concerning however it does sound like the MoD will win this one so maybe pushing for a compromise would be the best way forward. Perhaps a narrow corridor allowing walkers to reach the point or opening it up only on certain days and with observers there or something. Cape Wrath is an iconic point not only as a destination for walkers but also it's geographical significance as Britain's most north-westerly mainland point. Even the name itself inspires a sort of awe for the place. Would have loved to have visited this when heading to the far north at some point in the future so I do hope a compromise of some sort can be reached.

What's access like for walkers/cyclists on other MoD land?
GableNovice
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:11   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:42 am

Hmmm,fine subject to kick off with,I can only talk for myself here,I have already signed the petition against the MoD being allowed to buy more of Sutherland & Cape Wrath area in particular.This area is on my "bucket list",but if,as looks likely the MoD get there way it will never happen :(
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Circles » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:43 am

Interesting...we are planning a trip up there so better do it soon
It would be a pity for such an important area to be lost to the public...even more worrying would be an outcome where some determined walkers continue to venture there once it's in MOD hands...I've read a few walk reports where this occured despite red flags being out.
The military needs training areas and they do need to be remote for some means...but extending to the Cape woudl be such a pity when it's an area with so much scope for eco-tourism and beauty from what I've seen
Can't wait to get up there and will sign any petitions we see in Durness to support keeping it in public hards
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby julesG » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am

don't the MOD get enough practice in the warring country,s lets face it they always have someone to practice on
why do they need the cape ,it only goes to show how special the cape is as a wilderness hand,s off please
julesG
Munro compleatist

Postby Dectron » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Is there an online petition for this? I had a look and only found one that had to be printed off and signed manually, an online petition would be an easier/faster way to gain support and raise awareness if one could be setup?
Dectron
Rambler

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 pm

We've ran a story when the original e-petition was set up; here's the direct link to it: Cape Wrath e-petition

I agree with Cameron, though, that individually writing to your MSP (if you live in Scotland), has the biggest effect - or emailing them. Sharing this story on social media - and the petition as well - may be a help.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby IainG » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 pm

It shouldnt be forgotten that the MOD are probably the best land managers around. Even their very active 'live' ranges have outstanding standards of conservation and many do as much as possible to allow access. Theres always exceptions, but having been connected in MOD conservation myself, its certainly a guarantee that the land will remain probably 'as is'

I'm afraid you cant have it both ways, that is arguing for 'wilderness' and then arguing to allow unlimited access. I suspect there a bit of a business interest by Mr McNeish which is no surprise. If 'my' long distance walk might not allow thousands of walkers to batter across the Cape, then maybe I'd be bothered too. :wink:
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:59 pm

The future is not looking good for Cape Wrath, but I have signed a petition re this already. Hand's off MOD! :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby holtlynx » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Good to have some talking points, and good to have a regular agent provocateur. But regardless of this particular topic, slightly disappointed that you have opted for the ubiquitous McNeish in this role. We could do with some fresher voices; Ralph Storer perhaps, or almost any of the writers from the Angry Corrie, (Dave Hewitt, Perkin Warbeck - not, I think his real name, but regardless - for example).
holtlynx

Postby Backpacker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Surely the MOD would run Cape Wrath the same as they do for example the Garelochead Training camp. Free to use except when the "Red Flags" are flying and any areas they don't want you near get fenced off.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Sgurr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm

A narrow corridor would not suit Marilyn baggers. I am going there this July in the hopes of being able to do my remaining 6 without having to worry about boundaries of MOD areas, red flags, people in uniform and GOMLs.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:40 pm

I've allways wanted to visit Cape Wrath like many others. I really hope some agreement can be reached for the future. Other MOD areas allow walkers at limited times, surely this can be the case here?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby wild653camper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:56 am

Do not usually use Facebook but it was the only place to find a link to the Epetition on Cape Wrath. Could this link be made more prominent/ easier to find please. Yes I have signed the petition, visited the Cape on a months bicycle tour of Scotland some years ago. Now backpack Scotlands wild places. Would not have missed it!!! A great place to complete any walk or start if you fancy. Lets keep it open. I agree with the view of several on Lands End. Please sign up.
wild653camper
Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:53
Fionas:14   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:20   

Postby mummyglover » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:15 am

I was dismayed to read Cameron's article on the selling off of Cape Wrath and the lack of support the lobby against such a thing happening has had.
Having visited the Cape both overland from Sandwood Bay and via 'ferry' and mini bus routes it is indeed a iconic site to visit because of its position and visual impact. It is true to say we would probably never have spent and re visited Durness were it not for the accessibility of Cape Wrath. We have bought friends all the way north from Sevenoaks on the promise of what was on offer!
We all appreciate that change is ineveitable but I struggle to understand the need by the MoD to change what already appears to be a satisfactory working system.
Please can you tell me where we can sign the petition.
mummyglover
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion