walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby Scotjamie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:13 pm

great stuff Alastair!! (Glad you sorted the stacking issue :roll: :? :wink: )
I use the winterhighland site for access to weather webcams
http://www.winterhighland.info/weather/
- just in case you want to spend another few days on this stuff!!
User avatar
Scotjamie
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 1168
Munros:148   
Joined: Jul 27, 2009
Location: north berwick

Re: Braemar Snow Gate

Postby Alastair S » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback peeps 8)

I've been working on making my app multi-threaded so that I can download several webcams at once. It's going well so I'm on the lookout for further suitable webcams. The TrafficScotland ones block direct access to I can't use them. The WinterHighalnd ones don't update frequently enough but I might still give them a go. There are a few on the Scotland Landscapes that might be suitable but all suggestions welcome.

I've also had a few problems with my PC shutting down unexpectedly so I haven't got full days coverage for a few days - which is a bit of a shame given the recent weather. In any case I'll post any new vids on this thread - so keep an eye out :wink:
User avatar
Alastair S
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 1283
Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22
Joined: Dec 14, 2008
Location: Banchory, Aberdeenshire

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby RicKamila » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Aberdeen Council have one that updates every 30 seconds if thats any use?

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/web/includes/webcam/camviewer.asp?id=CASTLEGATE
User avatar
RicKamila
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 2358
Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:16   
Joined: Jul 17, 2010
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby Alastair S » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 pm

RicKamila wrote:Aberdeen Council have one that updates every 30 seconds if thats any use?

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/web/includes/webcam/camviewer.asp?id=CASTLEGATE

Yep, that's a possible, as is the construction of the new Aberbeen Aquatic Centre. I'm a bit too late with the aquatic centre one as its nearly done, but Aberdeenshire also have a few.
User avatar
Alastair S
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 1283
Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22
Joined: Dec 14, 2008
Location: Banchory, Aberdeenshire

Re: Braemar Snow Gate

Postby sloosh » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:34 am

Alastair S wrote:I've also had a few problems with my PC shutting down unexpectedly so I haven't got full days coverage for a few days

Can't you run it on a server rather than a PC?
User avatar
sloosh
 
Posts: 1452
Munros:62   Corbetts:1
Joined: Apr 26, 2009
Location: Lost, probably.

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Brilliant idea...really like the two videos!!
User avatar
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 1252
Munros:60   Corbetts:25
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:9
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
Location: North Ayrshire

Re: Braemar Snow Gate

Postby Alastair S » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:04 pm

sloosh wrote:Can't you run it on a server rather than a PC?

Ideally yes - but I don't have access to one so I'd have to rent. I'll probably look into the options & costs when I've finished development.
User avatar
Alastair S
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 1283
Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22
Joined: Dec 14, 2008
Location: Banchory, Aberdeenshire

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby sloosh » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Depending on how much processing power you need you might get away with pretty cheap shared reseller hosting. They tend to shut you down if you take up too many server resources :oops: but if you are only curling a page every minute or so that will barely scratch the surface of what's available.
User avatar
sloosh
 
Posts: 1452
Munros:62   Corbetts:1
Joined: Apr 26, 2009
Location: Lost, probably.

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby 54kgx2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Loved the views of the Braemar weather. You might like to see the Farson digital Rivercams. There are a few in Scotland. Only problem is not sure how often they reload.
54kgx2
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 4
Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Joined: Jul 12, 2012

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby Alastair S » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:08 am

After a few technical problems I have another full day's action from Braemar :)

" />


54kgx2 wrote:Loved the views of the Braemar weather. You might like to see the Farson digital Rivercams. There are a few in Scotland. Only problem is not sure how often they reload.

They look good (& have suitable refresh rates) - thanks :)
User avatar
Alastair S
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 1283
Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22
Joined: Dec 14, 2008
Location: Banchory, Aberdeenshire

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby Red Peak » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Love it. I'm ordering the DVD box set for Christmas :D
User avatar
Red Peak
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 747
Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Grahams:22   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:314
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Mar 24, 2010

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby Alastair S » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:39 am

Today's/yesterday's installment. Yesterday the gates opened and stayed open. I'm guessing the ski centre were quite pleased about that. As its getting a bit repetitive I'm planning on doing one over several days so you can see the snow melt.

" />
User avatar
Alastair S
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 1283
Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22
Joined: Dec 14, 2008
Location: Banchory, Aberdeenshire

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby Rudolph » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Alastair S wrote:As its getting a bit repetitive I'm planning on doing one over several days so you can see the snow melt.

It's a lot more interesting than the Archers - and that's on twice a day! Still - will be nice to get the omnibus edition.

Could you get these videos sponsered by the Braemar outdoor shop? One of the staff could stand by the gates overnight in a high end jacket with a billboard showing their best prices
User avatar
Rudolph
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 438
Munros:251   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: May 14, 2012

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby EDOFE » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:05 pm

RicKamila wrote:Loved that!! I watch this webcam a lot too. Like seeing peoples reactions when the gates are closed.

Very funny. Someone drives for miles fro Aberdeen to go to Perth by country road in his well equiped 4by4 and ands up at a barrier of fools, too lazy to keep little snow from the roads.
Really, we are no longer in 1920, today have the farmes huge tractors and they can carry large snowplughs. Only once up and down the road and its free. Sure, they will not do that for free, but they are also happy to have something to do in winter.
That works in other European countries, with much more snow than in this area.
So, whats funny about this locals they want to hide at home and exclude all other people from using THEIR road by using the excuse of a bit of snow?
Or do they fear that their Landys get stuck while the foreigners still move on?
http://www.landwirt.com/gebrauchte,790615,Sonstige-Schneepflug-Samasz-PSV-271.html
EDOFE
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

Re: Braemar Snow Gate 2013-03-10

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:07 pm

EDOFE wrote:
RicKamila wrote:Loved that!! I watch this webcam a lot too. Like seeing peoples reactions when the gates are closed.

Very funny. Someone drives for miles fro Aberdeen to go to Perth by country road in his well equiped 4by4 and ands up at a barrier of fools, too lazy to keep little snow from the roads.
Really, we are no longer in 1920, today have the farmes huge tractors and they can carry large snowplughs. Only once up and down the road and its free. Sure, they will not do that for free, but they are also happy to have something to do in winter.
That works in other European countries, with much more snow than in this area.
So, whats funny about this locals they want to hide at home and exclude all other people from using THEIR road by using the excuse of a bit of snow?
Or do they fear that their Landys get stuck while the foreigners still move on?


Nice of you to volunteer. Get in touch with the local police and land owners and provided you can prove you are competent enough to do it and not putting yourself or others in danger I'm sure no-one will stop you keeping the road open for the benefit of others. Or are you too lazy to do it as well, just like you claim is the reason no-one else does it?
User avatar
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 499
Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Feb 26, 2013

PreviousNext



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SecondRow and 18 guests