walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

deep snow in the glens

deep snow in the glens

Postby Craigellachie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Made an attempt to get up Derry Cairngorm yesterday the usual walk in of 50 mins was extended to 2 hours 15 mins due to deep snow, obliterated path and snow showers. see pics below one shows walker looking into the oncomming storm which was about to arrive and the other shows a wee track in the drifts heading towards Derry Lodge. We were wearing snow shoes and using poles and still could not speed up, we met a couple who took 7 hours the day before to get from Corrour bothy to Bob Scotts Bothy!
Attachments
DSC00802.JPG
DSC00800.JPG
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Re: deep snow in the glens

Postby sloosh » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Derry Cairngorm? :shock: I can't believe you were even tempted to try with all that snow. Where did you walk in from - Linn of Dee? Was that 2 hours 15 mins from there to Derry Lodge?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Craigellachie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:47 pm

You just never know whats its going to be like untill you get there and we live in Aberdeen so its a fun trip up Deeside. We planned Derry Cairngorm or Carn Crom a smaller hill on the way up DC or Bob Scotts by the fire as our flexible objectives for the day, guess which one won the day?? Walked in from Linn of Dee. Feel like I did the Cairngorm 4000s today not a wee walk to a bothy and back. Loads of people out I think one guy made it up to Carn Crom but he had stayed overnight in the bothy, loads of skiers not making much of it either
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:06 pm

What's it like near to Aberdeen? We were heading over that way later this week to fill in a few missing shorter walks; some in the city, some around Banchory, some on the coast. Has the snow completely obliterated everything or is there not so much near the coast.

Cheers
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Craigellachie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Paul Webster wrote:What's it like near to Aberdeen? We were heading over that way later this week to fill in a few missing shorter walks; some in the city, some around Banchory, some on the coast. Has the snow completely obliterated everything or is there not so much near the coast.

Cheers

We have had a foot of snow on the ground for 3 weeks, thats on the outskirts of Aberdeen, hills like Clachnaben , Peters hill that kind of thing would still be really tough at the moment, Mount Battock would be a major expedition. I guess the coast would be ok, the paths by the main beach are still holding some snow which is very unusual. Unless we get a load of rain to wash it away its going to be a tough trip. BBC forecast says light snow for the next 5 days
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Wow and we've only got a measly couple of inches here in the Dales! Still stops everyone driving about properly though - only problem is, it doesn't stop them trying! There were 2 hilarious ones going up the small hill by my house as I walked to work yesterday... one got stuck halfway up and the other tried to get past and got stuck alongside the first! Result - one road totally blocked within 10 seconds! All because they don't know to use higher gears - they were revving away in first! :lol: I seriously think people should have to take driving lessons in snow at some point...
mountain coward

Postby sloosh » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Craigellachie wrote: Bob Scotts by the fire as our flexible objectives for the day, guess which one won the day?? Walked in from Linn of Dee.

Wow. That must've been some slog just to get that far. I salute your choice of objective. :lol: I'm also amazed it took the couple you met 7 hours to get from Corrour Bothy to Derry Lodge.

I'm trying to place the pictures. Are they both from the landrover track? Is the one with the fence just as you come out of the woods at Linn of Dee or a bit further along?
sloosh

Postby deanflyer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:04 am

Went up Glen Tanar today, hoping to do Mount Keen. Okay up until the tree line, but deep snow thereafter. With no skis or snowshoes it was really hard work. Ran out of time and had to turn back.

Lovely walk back as the sun set, with great visibility with the snow and mist forming.

How is access to the car park at Linn of Dee? Do you need 4x4 or snow chains?
deanflyer
Munro compleatist

Postby deanflyer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:29 am

Heres a pic of Glen Tanar:

deanflyer
Munro compleatist

Postby Craigellachie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:53 am

Great pic of Glen Tannar just out of the forrest with Keen and Gathering Cairn on the left. Great bike ride but not today :lol:

My pics are [1] from half way along the track where it usually has a large bend to the right, looking towards Carn Mhaim and Carn Crom. The second one is after the black bridge as the paths rises and there is a plantation on the right and usually a view similar to the other pic.
I do drive a 4x4 but for the last 20 years I have used everyhting from a wee Nova to a Mondeo to get up that road. We were the second car up the road on Sat so it made it a little bit harder but so long as you go slowly and use your gears to brake it is ok. Everyone has a wheel spin once you come over the lin of dee bridge and then turn right up the hill to the car park. Front wheel drive car with ordinary driver stick to 15-20 and stay off the brakes!
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 am

Craigellachie wrote:the usual walk in of 50 mins was extended to 2 hours 15 mins due to deep snow,

Pah, I laugh in the face of your 2hrs 15mins walk through knee-deep snow! I once took six hours to do that walk, in powder up to my chest. I was in the bothy for days afterwards, and thought I'd have to do a Charlie Chaplin, eating my own boots like he did in The Gold Rush. I once met a bloke who'd been stuck in the bothy at Loch Muick by snowstorms for a week; he thought he was going to die there!
One good thing about all this cold is that loads of midgie larvae will die. Cleggs too ~ hooray! :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby sloosh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Craigellachie wrote:My pics are [1] from half way along the track where it usually has a large bend to the right, looking towards Carn Mhaim and Carn Crom. The second one is after the black bridge as the paths rises and there is a plantation on the right and usually a view similar to the other pic.

Gosh. I guessed correctly (ish with the second one lol).

Caberfeidh wrote:I once took six hours to do that walk, in powder up to my chest. I was in the bothy for days afterwards, and thought I'd have to do a Charlie Chaplin, eating my own boots like he did in The Gold Rush.

:shock: I'm guessing turning back didn't really cross your mind that day, Caberfeidh, did it? :eh: :wtf:
sloosh

Postby chrisoff » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Paul Webster wrote:What's it like near to Aberdeen? ...some around Banchory

Hi,

Normally just browse this forum but thought I'd reply to this. Banchory is still white, the snow just isn't melting at all.

Scolty Woods yesterday:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/424 ... d0ca87.jpg

Half frozen River Dee in Banchory:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/424 ... ffa3e0.jpg

More snow is on it's way apparently.
chrisoff
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Thanks - like the photos. I was getting put off but am tempted again - looks perfectly walkable in the woods etc?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Craigellachie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Craigellachie wrote:the usual walk in of 50 mins was extended to 2 hours 15 mins due to deep snow,

Pah, I laugh in the face of your 2hrs 15mins walk through knee-deep snow! I once took six hours to do that walk, in powder up to my chest. I was in the bothy for days afterwards, and thought I'd have to do a Charlie Chaplin, eating my own boots like he did in The Gold Rush. I once met a bloke who'd been stuck in the bothy at Loch Muick by snowstorms for a week; he thought he was going to die there!
One good thing about all this cold is that loads of midgie larvae will die. Cleggs too ~ hooray! :D

Aye Caberfeidh but you forget that we had snow shoes which kept us on top of [ most of the time] the chest high drifts. I will put our shorter time down to my highland coo like nature and that fact that your beard froze. Stick to the frozen sea old dog. Having eaten dinner prepared by you in said Bothy I thougth we had eaten your boots :lol:
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion