walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Which Skye Guide

Which Skye Guide

Postby missmunro » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi all. I have been a member for some time but this is my first post. I have currently done 207 munros, mainly on my own but did some of the Skye ones on a Glenmore Lodge Course. I think the remainder of the ridge Am Bastier, Sgurr nan Gillian, Sgurr Mhic Coinniach and Sgurr Alistair are beyond my own capability and intend to get a guide. Has anyone recommendations please?
I've emailed about 6 guides they all seem to think these would involve 2 mountain days which is what I thought. Prices vary between £200-£135 a day.
Any personal recommendation would be greatly appreciated
missmunro
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:218
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Which Skye Guide

Postby ken reid » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 pm

witch ones have you completed on Skye ?
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:237   

Postby duchally » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:17 pm

2 of us used Mike Lates(Skye Guides) in 2011 and wouldn't hesitate to use him again.
duchally

Munros:282   Corbetts:202
Grahams:146   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:217   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Paddy McGuire,took me over the In Pin,cracking guide.
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:272   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby missmunro » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi Thanks for your responses.

Ken - I have done the In-pin, Bannadich, Mhadaidh, Ghreadaidh, Sgurr Dubh Mor and Sgurr nan Eag - all with Glenmore Lodge on a 'Scrambling on Skye' week. Really good fun but way more than I could do alone, and I learnt a lot. I think that Bruiche na Frith and Blaven are within my capabilities but the other four not, hence the guide. I have done both An Teallach - via the by pass on my own, and Aonach Eagach - with a friend and both were fine, also lots of others both summer and winter on my own. However, I like living and discretion is the better part etc.

I have emailed about six guides and got varying prices between £210 per day and £135 - the latter being Paddy McGuire so I was glad to see he got a good review. Just waiting for one more answer and if I get any more advice from Walkhighland forumites.

thanks - any more advice would be appreciated
missmunro
Walker

Postby ken reid » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:10 pm

fair do's I was going to say that sgurr alasdair via the great stone shoot would have been no prob and that if you left your rucksack around 2/3 of the way up you could have bagged alisdair then returned to your rucksack and cut up diagonally to your left towards the large rust colored section of rock witch is the start of harts ledge (just to the left of kings chimney) to get round to sgurr mich choinich, this route is no more difficult than sgurr nan eag and imho slightly easier than sgurr dubh mor. anyway good luck with your search for a guide. I am sure you will get plenty of good suggestions from others on here. ps when were you going up to Skye as I will be on Skye for the last b/h in may.
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Paddy is excellent.
rohan

Postby oldrayne75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:43 pm

I've also walked with Mike Lates of Skye Guides. Found him and his team to be excellent.

You'll be fine on Bruach na Frithe and Blaven.

Alasdair doesn't pose much difficulty via the slog up/down the great stone shoot. Can't vouch for the continuation to Mhich Choinnich though.

Am Basteir and Sgurr nan Gillain require a real head for heights/exposure - especially the latter. Great fun though :D
oldrayne75
Hill Bagger

Munros:201   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:13   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am

oldrayne75 wrote:Can't vouch for the continuation to Mhich Choinnich though.

This is definitely a place for the guides. I'm a rock climber, read all the guidebooks, all the descriptions, and still got caught out. None of the guidebooks I read gave an adequate description. Some were completely off. (After I went to the Cuillin, I checked out the SMC The Cuillin, by Mike Lates. I haven't read the Mhic Choinnich section, but I've seen other bits and I wouldn't be surprised if it's bang on.)

Because we couldn't find (real hidden) bypasses on the Thearlaich descent, we abseiled twice and lost some gear as a result. I posted a thread on UKClimbing to get this section of the Ridge clear, and even the guidebook writers were conflicted. The guides know the way, but if you go without, it's definitely a place that would repay a nice day and hours of exploring.

I can also agree that Alasdair via the Stone Shoot shouldn't be very difficult.
Kevin29035

Munros:166   Corbetts:156
Grahams:60   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:7

Postby missmunro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks guys. Not only do I now feel justified in requesting the help of a guide - from some of the descriptions of the mountains; but I have booked Paddy McGuire - £135 a day, instead of £210 which some of the other guides costed it at. Paddy's website says that he has Summer/Winter ML, but personal recommendation is always good.

Ken - I will be up first week of July. I have to book my leave months in advance and have to take the weather as I find it. Although last July was fantastic in the north.

thank you to everyone who replied
missmunro
Walker

Postby oldrayne75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 pm

No problem. Have fun.
oldrayne75
Hill Bagger

Munros:201   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:13   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 pm

I can recommend Jonah Jones. He is a very interesting companion and is one of the Skye Mountain Rescue team.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:128
Grahams:79   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby ken reid » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 pm

have a great time
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion