walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Did anyone go out yesterday ?

Re: Did anyone go out yesterday ?

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:08 pm

soapy27 wrote: did you do any munros when you were over in Skye ?

Nope. All 10 hills were under 2000 feet. All the books were mentioning words like "scrambling" with the ones over 2000 feet. I didn't think it would be wise to do that with all the snow at that level. Walking, sure but scrambling with the snow, no thanks. Would have gone for the odd Graham perhaps but didn't get around to that in the time that I had.

I really enjoyed some of those Marilyns. Ben Tianavaig's a joy to ascend. Did Beinn na Greine from the Portree-forest side. Getting up there was a slog but I came down a gully with a river running down it. Made the hill that much more enjoyable. Raasay's a real beauty of an island. All in all, a good introduction to Skye.
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi HD, I was on a club meet at the Bunkhouse at Roybridge, did a wee Graham, walked from bunkhouse to Creag Dhubh, really scary on the top, nearly blown off the 20m walk from Trig point to cairn nearly took 5mins on hands and knees :crazy: report to follow.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Felt like on my way up a Munro...half an hours walk away from my house...car stuck to road not being gritted or cleared...so no hills for me either :-(
Attachments
DSC05071.JPG
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby soapy27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:53 pm

I really enjoyed some of those Marilyns. Ben Tianavaig's a joy to ascend. Did Beinn na Greine from the Portree-forest side. Getting up there was a slog but I came down a gully with a river running down it. Made the hill that much more enjoyable. Raasay's a real beauty of an island. All in all, a good introduction to Skye.[/quote]

Sounds like you had an awesome time over there Skye and Raasay are amazing 8)
Last edited by soapy27 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby soapy27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:54 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi HD, I was on a club meet at the Bunkhouse at Roybridge, did a wee Graham, walked from bunkhouse to Creag Dhubh, really scary on the top, nearly blown off the 20m walk from Trig point to cairn nearly took 5mins on hands and knees :crazy: report to follow.

Sounds like I made the right move not heading out then. look forward to reading the report
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:57 pm

soapy27 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Hi HD, I was on a club meet at the Bunkhouse at Roybridge, did a wee Graham, walked from bunkhouse to Creag Dhubh, really scary on the top, nearly blown off the 20m walk from Trig point to cairn nearly took 5mins on hands and knees :crazy: report to follow.

Sounds like I made the right move not heading out then. look forward to reading the report

Yep, you were definately right, was a bit crazy! all for the sake of a Blue Balloon :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby soapy27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:58 pm

The things we do for blue balloons is madness haha :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Postby soapy27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Felt like on my way up a Munro...half an hours walk away from my house...car stuck to road not being gritted or cleared...so no hills for me either :-(

Great photo Mountainlove :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Postby RicKamila » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:08 pm

soapy27 wrote:
Mountainlove wrote:Felt like on my way up a Munro...half an hours walk away from my house...car stuck to road not being gritted or cleared...so no hills for me either :-(

Great photo Mountainlove :clap:

I second that :clap:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby electricfly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:53 pm

hailiamdigby wrote:I was on Skye from the 20th to the 23rd.
First trip there.
Weather was great Wednesday and Thursday, even though the temperature was a little low and there was a wind but it got worse on Friday and Saturday. Winds got strong and the sun wasn't really out in a big way anymore. Would have stayed till Sunday morning if it hadn't gotten like that.
There was practically no snow worth mentioning, the whole time I was there. Only snow lying on the hills was above the 2000-feet mark.

I was out doing some peaks on the west coast 19th-21st and got some great views of Skye from the mainland. Here is how the Cuillin looked on Wednesday from Beinn Sgritheall. (pic is a bit grainy due to haze and inadequate zoom on compact-digi.)

:wave: ...a bit miffed you didn't wave back though hailiamdigby! :lol:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby RicKamila » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Even your "poor" photos are good Electricfly....
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Milesy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Yep was up The Cobbler. Was hoping to do a climb but was too windy for what we planned. Conditions were fine for walking if you have the right kit and dont mind being sand blasted about.

I did however save a wee vole which came out a hole in the snow and got blasted down the hill and while I was rescuing it my climbing helmet got caught in a gust of wind and was off like a kite! I could have rescued it if I let the vole go but I made my choice and took him back and put him back down his hole with half a bounty bar and covered the den back up. Hopefully he will stay underground for another month or so.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby morag1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Well done Milesy, heart-warming story that :clap:
morag1

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Well we're back, it was a cracking walk but very, very, very snowy! Didn't even make it round to Charr cause it got to the point the snow on the path was up to my knees and which put it at about the wee man's waist! Really didn't think it would be that deep with being off the hill and given the amount of snow there it certainly wasn't climbing conditions for me.

The road out was fine enough though, took the A93 to Banchory and turned off down the B974, all well gritted and clear.

Thanks go out to the chap with the skis who stopped to see if we we're okay when we'd came off the path into the shelter of the trees to have our lunch.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby AlisonFox66 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Dumyat today

seven layers of clothing , as yesterday

once I got into the lee of the slope it was quite nice really , needed to drop off east for that
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion