walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bridge of Orchy munros

Bridge of Orchy munros

Postby mrssanta » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:42 pm

OK, I know this is a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone could give any idea of what the conditions are like on the Bridge of Orchy munros. Lots of snow presumably. :clap: We have our first trip up North since August, coming up on Wednesday night to stay over in Glasgow. We plan to leave Glasgow early on Thursday morning and park at Achallader farm, take the tent up via Coire Achaladair to the bealach at the top and camp there. We will then try to do a few munros from there and need to be home by Saturday night . Are we likely to have any problems driving to the farm?
weather outlook not too bad just now on MWIS, I hope we might just strike it lucky, but don't worry we won't do anything too stupid. :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Bridge of Orchy munros

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 am

Hey

Dunno how the snow conditions will change but seems to be a lot of snow there at the moment.

New parking at Achaladair farm is just after you turn off from the road on the right. (well signposted) Perhaps the farmer has got bored of tonnes of cars but has supplied a nice new car park, albeit a bit further from the hill.

Good route in that it's relatively safe and you stick to ridges. I was on these hills last weekend. Did Achaladair but had to head down after 1 in whiteout because the loaded north slopes meant we couldn't be sure of a safe descent from Chreachain later in the day. I'm sure that's all changed though.

And the bealach might be a breezy spot for a tent! :)
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby nzt2011 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:52 am

Hiya, was up last Wednesday 20th up Achaladair...got the the bealach and turned back...was pretty deep snow, almost whiteout conditions and was risky going on. Will be a lot of snow I am guessing and presumably a lot of over hanging snow as well looking at the walk reports on normal conditions. That said, who knows what's happening with the weather this year!! :D
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks folks for the comments, so far MWIS forecast looks pretty good for Thursday, so we will see how we go, looking forward to it, plenty of warm stuff.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion