walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

NEWS: US firm Bristow chosed to run SAR helicopters

NEWS: US firm Bristow chosed to run SAR helicopters

Postby helenw » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 am

helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Re: NEWS: US firm Bristow chosed to run SAR helicopters

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 am

Chosed????? You don't have to start talking like a demned colonial ....
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Circles » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 am

As one of my colleagues once said when looking at language settings on Microsoft Word

"American English...bah! There's no such thing!" A fair call as us down under colonials speak English very goodly
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 am

How is it going to work now then as a private company needs to make cash for share holders. if you are stranded on a hill with a broken leg do you have to negotiate a price before getting picked up. :crazy: :crazy:

Glad it is not Bristows Aberdeen tho they would turn up 2 days late.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby MacCookie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am

Benjaminnevis wrote:How is it going to work now then as a private company needs to make cash for share holders. if you are stranded on a hill with a broken leg do you have to negotiate a price before getting picked up. :crazy: :crazy:

Glad it is not Bristows Aberdeen tho they would turn up 2 days late.

What happens if the Coastguard chopper out of Stornoway picks you up on the Cuillin ridge? Currently operated by CHC Helicopters...
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54 am

Benjaminnevis wrote:Glad it is not Bristows Aberdeen tho they would turn up 2 days late.

Or Bond, which would crash....
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:17 am

When we fished it up we were going to paint it blue and white and write "Bristows" across it, just for a laugh. Bloody CAA crash investigators, no sense of humour....

Bond Helicopters.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby hailiamdigby » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:36 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
Chosed????? You don't have to start talking like a demned colonial ....

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I agree with your statement but you should see the state of grammar of our own nation.
Take for example "My teacher learned me how to write." or the use of "How?" instead of "Why?"
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby RockyRab » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm

I'm going to miss the big yellow RAF Sea Kings to be honest, a very reassuring sight and lovely aircraft.
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

Postby electricfly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:When we fished it up we were going to paint it blue and white and write "Bristows" across it, just for a laugh. Bloody CAA crash investigators, no sense of humour....

Bond Helicopters.jpg

We already have one "Bond" who's licensed to kill, no need for another! :roll:

600th post... woo hoo! :wave:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby ballarat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 pm

RockyRab wrote:I'm going to miss the big yellow RAF Sea Kings to be honest, a very reassuring sight and lovely aircraft.

absolutely,and i believe that those souls who crew them are up there with the best in the world :clap: :clap:
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby monarchming » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 pm

I work offshore like a few others on this forum and I like to think I have a broad sense of humour but I don't think your picture or comments Caberfeidh were the most appropriate.
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby RicKamila » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 pm

To bring it back on topic, Bristows will be using S92's and AW189's which are both state-of-the-art helicopters. In Scotland, they will be using Stornoway, Sumburgh, Inverness and Prestwick. They will be within 30 minutes of the whole of the UK's high risk places, which is currently 70% by the MOD, with Bristows increasing it to 85% and arrival times will be quicker than present (20% faster than the Seaking). All pilots and crew receive the same training as MOD pilots and crew. Infact, if you live in Inverness, you will currently see the first two GAPSAR helicopters doing daily trials and training to ready themselves for the first base takeover in June.

I don't see how any of this can be seen any other way than positive. The MOD had an ageing fleet, Bristows has provided a solution with brand new helicopters. Give them a go, Im sure everyone will be impressed.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/219017-american-bristow-wins-contract-to-run-search-and-rescue-helicopters/

monarchming wrote:I work offshore like a few others on this forum and I like to think I have a broad sense of humour but I don't think your picture or comments Caberfeidh were the most appropriate.

And regarding Caberfeidh's post, I also agree that is in very poor taste.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm

RicKamila wrote:To bring it back on topic, Bristows will be using S92's and AW189's which are both state-of-the-art helicopters. In Scotland, they will be using Stornoway, Sumburgh, Inverness and Prestwick. They will be within 30 minutes of the whole of the UK's high risk places, which is currently 70% by the MOD, with Bristows increasing it to 85% and arrival times will be quicker than present (20% faster than the Seaking). All pilots and crew receive the same training as MOD pilots and crew. Infact, if you live in Inverness, you will currently see the first two GAPSAR helicopters doing daily trials and training to ready themselves for the first base takeover in June.

I don't see how any of this can be seen any other way than positive. The MOD had an ageing fleet, Bristows has provided a solution with brand new helicopters. Give them a go, Im sure everyone will be impressed.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/219017-american-bristow-wins-contract-to-run-search-and-rescue-helicopters/

monarchming wrote:I work offshore like a few others on this forum and I like to think I have a broad sense of humour but I don't think your picture or comments Caberfeidh were the most appropriate.

And regarding Caberfeidh's post, I also agree that is in very poor taste.

Glad to here it will be S92s they seem to be a better bird than the 225 how ever am still puzzled how this will be funded at the minute the mountain rescue order the helicopter which is free of charge what happens now under privatisation. Guess we will need hill walking insurance or will mountain rescue pay it since they order it. Nm :crazy:
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby monarchming » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:31 pm

According to BBC news there will be 10 S-92s and 10 Agusta Westland 189s. At Sumburgh and Stornoway they will have the S-92s.Prestwick and Inverness will have 2 each of the AW 189s.
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion