walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

NEWS: US firm Bristow chosed to run SAR helicopters

Re: NEWS: US firm Bristow chosed to run SAR helicopters

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 pm

monarchming wrote:I work offshore like a few others on this forum and I like to think I have a broad sense of humour but I don't think your picture or comments Caberfeidh were the most appropriate.

Seconded. I worked for Survival-One giving out safety gear and safety briefings when the 16 passengers and crew died in the Bond crash. It his us all pretty hard. I know your joke isn't mocking them and is just a play on the old 'make it look like someone else' joke but that image is not one I wanted to see again. Ever.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Circles » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Glad to here it will be S92s they seem to be a better bird than the 225 how ever am still puzzled how this will be funded at the minute the mountain rescue order the helicopter which is free of charge what happens now under privatisation. Guess we will need hill walking insurance or will mountain rescue pay it since they order it.

As it is now in other areas where this is in place? It's not new, just expanded...have any of the existing choppers with these arrangements declined a rescue due to cash issues?
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby RicKamila » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:39 pm

It is a £billion deal, so I wonder if there are provisions in there from the Government that will keep SAR free. I'll keep an ear out for anything I hear.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby RicKamila » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm

http://www.bristowsar.com/

Bristows have a dedicated SAR website.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:
monarchming wrote:I work offshore like a few others on this forum and I like to think I have a broad sense of humour but I don't think your picture or comments Caberfeidh were the most appropriate.

Seconded. I worked for Survival-One giving out safety gear and safety briefings when the 16 passengers and crew died in the Bond crash. It his us all pretty hard. I know your joke isn't mocking them and is just a play on the old 'make it look like someone else' joke but that image is not one I wanted to see again. Ever.

That pic was the one a few weeks before, when no-one died. Should we pretend they don't crash? I've been offshore while a few paraffin budgies crashed or ditched, it is not a nice feeling knowing I'd have to get in one again. In Israel we used Hueys which were much better, less cramped and easier to get out of in an emergency. If I break a leg up a hill, I'd rather get slung over a stalker's pony than get in a chopper. *Whatever happened to climbers who'd knick boots off corpses?*
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby RockyRab » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Benjaminnevis wrote:Glad to here it will be S92s they seem to be a better bird than the 225 how ever am still puzzled how this will be funded at the minute the mountain rescue order the helicopter which is free of charge what happens now under privatisation. Guess we will need hill walking insurance or will mountain rescue pay it since they order it. Nm :crazy:

The Coastguard have had private companies operating their SAR birds since the 70s as far as I'm aware, the contract pays for the cost of the callout. It is just like you don't have to pay for an ambulance to transport you to hospital if the NHS dispatch a private ambulance to you.
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

Postby coachmacca » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Not an area of expertise for me , but have real interest not only as a walker and potential (hopefully never!) user of the service but because I have just finished reading the fantastic , very frank and at times heartwrenching "CairnGorm John" book I wondered if anyone knew of the MRT's thoughts or feedback?
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:That pic was the one a few weeks before, when no-one died. Should we pretend they don't crash? I've been offshore while a few paraffin budgies crashed or ditched, it is not a nice feeling knowing I'd have to get in one again. In Israel we used Hueys which were much better, less cramped and easier to get out of in an emergency. If I break a leg up a hill, I'd rather get slung over a stalker's pony than get in a chopper. *Whatever happened to climbers who'd knick boots off corpses?*

Ach we can argue it over a pint sometime, I don't want it to turn into a 'big thing' on the forum but just wanted you to know there are folk on here who feel that post was a bit close to home.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby monarchming » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm

I totally agree with you Ryan.This isn't the right place to discuss this subject.
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby monarchming » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Tried to message you Caberfeidh but I see you don't receive PMs.
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby Rudolph » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:50 pm

RicKamila wrote:I don't see how any of this can be seen any other way than positive.

There are lots of potential problems with privately run services and they tend to be introduced as a matter of dogma rather than expediency. Sometimes (in the right business) they work well and sometimes they don't.

I don't think anyone has faulted the existing SAR service- which means (as a user) it's hard to see any upside to this change. Therefore my feeling is that the service is unlikely to improve and has a large chance of getting worse. I hope i'm wrong.
RicKamila wrote: Give them a go, Im sure everyone will be impressed.

Fair enough - let's hope so!
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby MacCookie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Rudolph wrote:There are lots of potential problems with privately run services and they tend to be introduced as a matter of dogma rather than expediency. Sometimes (in the right business) they work well and sometimes they don't.

I don't think anyone has faulted the existing SAR service- which means (as a user) it's hard to see any upside to this change. Therefore my feeling is that the service is unlikely to improve and has a large chance of getting worse. I hope i'm wrong.

As already pointed out on this thread, the Coastguard choppers are privately operated. Do they provide a worse service than the RAF and Royal Navy choppers?
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8

Postby Rudolph » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:07 pm

MacCookie wrote:As already pointed out on this thread, the Coastguard choppers are privately operated. Do they provide a worse service than the RAF and Royal Navy choppers?
I don't know.

My point was that there is little push for change caused by dissatisfaction with the current service.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Clach Liath » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Unsurprisingly, this contract (which has been a long time in its gestation) had been looked at by the Mountain Rescue Committee of Scotland. Take a look at Edition 28 of its magazine (May 2012) for an interesting article by Jim Fraser of Kintail MRT setting out the history and prospects for SAR. Link here:

http://www.mountainrescuescotland.org/online-casbag/
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby RockyRab » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Rudolph wrote:My point was that there is little push for change caused by dissatisfaction with the current service.

Reading into the details a little bit more, the service should be improved as a result of this change. The military would not be able to meet the requirements set out in the contract, they are set higher than the capability of the aircraft the military are operating. The current service is facing significant issues as the Sea Kings age and although they are lovely aircraft, they are fast approaching the point where they are not able to provide the level of service required or expected.
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion