walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Drinking water in the hills

Re: Drinking water in the hills

Postby ciderpeter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

I regularly drink out of flowing streams when walking, generally if it doesn't look appetising I avoid it, although I appreciate that dead bodies floating upstream etc are unlikely to change the colour!

If it's yellow, let it mellow (in a bottle),
If it's brown, drink it down,
If it's black, put if back.
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Michael Thomson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Deid sheep are over-rated as hazards. They're quite nice with mint sauce.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 pm

I take a full water bottle or bladder with me and when it runs out refill from a flowing stream as high up as possible, as others have advised above. If I have some Scottish stream water left over at the end of a holiday, I take it back to London with me, keep it in the fridge and use it to add a wee drop to my whisky.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:261   Corbetts:26
Grahams:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:137
Wainwrights:58   Islands:8

Postby nathan79 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Sgurr wrote:You're as likely to get poisoned through leaving your piece to fester in your rucksack on a long hot drive to a hill as through taking reasonable care and drinking stuff from high up. NOT SO in the USA I am told. Our US walking friend tells me that most natural sources are contaminated with giardia (I did check on the internet susopecting another wind-up, but think it is true http://www2.mcdaniel.edu/Biology/eh01/waterpollution/3.diseasecarrying.html

For Scotland at least you can talk of cryptosporidium instead of giardia(which is a lot less common over here, unless the beavers have brought it-which does actually get monitored). Plenty crypto floating about, but as has been said stay away from sources near castle pasture and intense sheep grazing and you'd be very unlucky to contract cryptosporidiosis.

P.S. Despite my comments I must add I won't go near wild water! :-D
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:101   Corbetts:29
Grahams:13   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   Islands:5

Postby sloosh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 am

nathan79 wrote:For Scotland at least you can talk of cryptosporidium instead of giardia(which is a lot less common over here, unless the beavers have brought it-which does actually get monitored).

Can't speak to beavers but dogs are the typical incubators / distributors of giardia in this country.

Plenty crypto floating about, but as has been said stay away from sources near castle pasture and intense sheep grazing and you'd be very unlucky to contract cryptosporidiosis.

Cryptosporidium is also typically spread by birds so likely sources would be slow moving water under places birds congregate, for example, trees where they roost.

There was a cryptosporidium outbreak in Perth in the not too distant past and although they couldn't be certain the word was the source was the swimming pool which had a little outdoors section that was overhung by shrubs that birds favoured for doing all their birdy-stuff in.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby nil7 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:32 pm

I usually start with a couple of litres of tap water, refilling from burns if required. 2 or 3 days wild camping leaves no option but to use burn water.
You may be interested to know that when Megget Dam was being constructed in early 80s to supply Edinburgh, it was decided to install new filters at the treatment works which were tailor-made for this water. A sample from Megget was sent to the manufacturers where it was analysed and found to be cleaner than London tap water.
nil7

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Grahams:169   Donalds:72
Sub 2000:295   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

It's rare for me to go out on a hill and not drink from a stream or river. I always like to fill up a water bottle and take it home with me.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:98   Corbetts:20
Grahams:3   Donalds:7

Postby tony.cee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

I've been drinking water on hills for years and its never done me any harm. Mind you, I occasionally get a twinge in the 7th toe of my middle foot.]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

same here, i more often than not drink from fast running streams and iv never died, not even once.
plenty of things out there lurking to set apon you, but the odds are in your favour with abit of common sense appllied, and im sure after a dose of dehli belly on the hills you would quickly learn from your errors.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:79   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   

Postby ZEbbEDY » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:50 pm

I wouldn't risk it I've been I'll before while out camping, I've got an Msr filter now
ZEbbEDY
Rambler

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion