walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Car Parking In Portree

Car Parking In Portree

Postby Early Riser » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi All,
Two of us are planning to walk the Skye Trail in early June (6th - 14th) and I need to find a secure car parking space in or around Portree for about seven days. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd be quite happy to pay a reasonable fee for somewhere safe and secure.
Thanks, John.
Early Riser
Hill Bagger

Munros:14   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Car Parking In Portree

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:11 am

There's a long stay car park in Portree; as you enter the village from Broadford heading towards the square you'll see a sign pointing to a turn off to the right. Arrive early and you'll get a space. It was free, I haven't used it for a year or so, maybe that has changed.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Early Riser » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Caberfeidh,
Thanks for that bit of information, I've just recieved an e-mail from Torvaig campsite they've said I can park my car there free as I will be using that site at least three times over the seven or so days we are on Skye.
Cheers, John.
Early Riser
Hill Bagger

Munros:14   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   

Postby RicKamila » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:There's a long stay car park in Portree; as you enter the village from Broadford heading towards the square you'll see a sign pointing to a turn off to the right. Arrive early and you'll get a space. It was free, I haven't used it for a year or so, maybe that has changed.

But theres a sign too that says No Overnight Parking...
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby neilmci » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:25 pm

and how would they know if you "arrive" early in the morning and "leave" late at night? How would they enforce that??
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby RicKamila » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:28 pm

neilmci wrote:and how would they know if you "arrive" early in the morning and "leave" late at night? How would they enforce that??

Overnight police patrol maybe?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby matty_cat » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm

There is a sign for Not Overnight Parking for Caravans!
I stay in the hostels there for several nights and park always on the long stay car park overnight. I read the sign several times because I park directly opposite to it. Use Google Streetview and you also can read the sign.
matty_cat
Mountaineer

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   

Postby RicKamila » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:57 pm

matty_cat wrote:There is a sign for Not Overnight Parking for Caravans!
I stay in the hostels there for several nights and park always on the long stay car park overnight. I read the sign several times because I park directly opposite to it. Use Google Streetview and you also can read the sign.

You're right. Just had a look. I thought there was also a red-font sign, but its not there on Street View.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion