walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Skye Munros in June

Skye Munros in June

Postby arlo » Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 pm

I have booked a holiday with the SYHA starting 15th June: all of the Skye Munros in a week (weather permitting). I found out today that this is unlikely to happen as I am the only one to book it and it needs a minimum of four. I will probably still go to Skye as I have flights and a night in Glasgow paid for along with the car and accommodation for a training week. Can anyone advise me on the In Pin or recommend a guide to help me (I have never climbed with ropes or abseiled)? What is this likely to cost? Thanks.
arlo

Munros:120   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Skye Munros in June

Postby Sgurr » Thu May 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Mike Lates of Skye Guides is very good. I went as a 64 year old feartie, and he was wonderful , and he does all sorts, not just grannies.

http://skyeguides.co.uk/

However, it might be an idea to book an abseiling course somewhere local before you go.. We went to a local guy who just taught us how to abseil on a wooden tower. You will need this for getting off the In Pin
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 pm

There are several guides listed under the "Guiding & Holidays" tab. I am sure you will get all the info you need there :) Good Luck. I hope to do more of the Skye Munros this summer :D
SAVAGEALICE

Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby gary.nimmo » Fri May 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi,
My wife nor I had worked with ropes or abseiled before going out with Mike and his team. He's not cheap (consider what you're achieving here) but comes highly recommended. We have booked with him on 3 separate occasions and have now done all the Skye munros (some on our own but being out with the guides helped give us the confidence to go achieve these) but more importantly had some amazing days out.
Hope the weather is kind - in dry weather there is nowhere else I've been that is as dramatic and beautiful as the Cuillin.
PS As noted elsewhere on this thread, there are other guides who come recommended by users of this site (a quick search of old threads should bring these up, as an alternative to looking at the ads). Enjoy.
gary.nimmo

Munros:140   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby arlo » Thu May 16, 2013 8:02 pm

The SYHA cancelled the holiday today as I was the only one to book. I was very disappointed as I had been looking forward to this for ages. I will still go to Skye and try for a guide for the In Pin. Thanks for the tips. Will anyone else be on the Skye Munros 15-21 June?
arlo

Postby SwaleyP » Sat May 18, 2013 9:20 am

hi,

I went in late April with Mat Barratt of Skye adventures. It was £150, but didnt managed to attempt Inn Pin. It was too iced up and I want up for a terror ride up or down. Even he was against it, snow and ice everywhere.

I'm hearing its clearing now..

Enjoy

Pete
SwaleyP
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   

Postby GentianBlue » Sat May 18, 2013 9:33 am

I went on the SYHA holiday last year. George Yeoman was the guide who was very good and he does put together private groups.

http://www.guidingonskye.co.uk/

We had wall to wall sunshine all week but he doesn't promise to organise that every time. Although the Inn Pin is the only climb so of the other route finding can be quite challenging.

Enjoy
GentianBlue

Munros:282   Corbetts:48
Donalds:2

Postby arlo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks for the advice; I loved my trip to Skye. Mike Lates was very helpful and booked a great guide for me – Paddy Cave. Over four days he took me up the 11 Munros on the Skye ridge (I went up Blaven on my own on the fifth day). He also taught me climbing techniques and got me to a standard that makes me capable of a full ridge traverse; I would not have got this from the SYHA holiday. He was fascinating to talk to – as well as an encyclopaedic knowledge of the ridge he has led on expeditions over 8,000m, made the first ascent on 15 high mountains, and is leading on Everest next year. I had great weather on the Alastair/MhicChoinnich/In Pin day..

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/aylesburian/media/InPin_zps859ab76c.jpg.html
arlo

Postby gary.nimmo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Great shot, glad you had fun, Mike was able to help and you got so much out of Paddy's tuition and company!! Back for the traverse later then...?
gary.nimmo

Munros:140   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:5

Postby gordon l » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Well done sir! The In Pin is on my none-too-distant to-do list and it's threads like this that give a confirmed exposure fearer like me the inspiration that I'll make it up and down. Cheers
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Postby arlo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:46 am

Gordon -
The exposure wasn't too bad, I was concentrating on hand-here-foot-there and keeping moving. The only time I got wobbly was when the photo was taken - Paddy's memory card was full and he took a while to chose what to delete and free the space!
I prepared for the In Pin by gradually increasing my experience of exposure - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge, Carn Mor Dearg arête, Crib Goch. It does get easier.
arlo

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:07 am

Well done! So glad it all worked out. Glad the weather co-operated to the extent you could get up on the ridge so much. I didn't say in my post above that the first time we went it was raining too hard for the In Pin, so Mike took us up Bannadich instead (something my husband had already done) and we had lunch standing under what felt like a power shower, so amazing to pull them all off in a single visit. Helps to have someone who can chat along the way, so you don't hear the voice in your head going "Doom!Doom!Doom!"
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion