walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn Tulaichean diversion at start

Beinn Tulaichean diversion at start

Postby coachmacca » Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Just a quick one for anyone planning to do it from the South (Loch Voil end) but doesn't know - there is currently a diversion at the start of Beinn Tulaichean from just after the farm as there are construction works going on at the river (which you would normally follow in) .

Instead of turning North just after the bridge and following the route on the WH route you continue SW for about 500m through the next farm then you see a diversion sign pointing North

Basically this takes you across bogs, bogs and more bogs on the other side of the high fence. You can head North and met the path further up but be prepared for some wet ground :lol:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Beinn Tulaichean diversion at start

Postby Bay Bloke » Sun May 12, 2013 10:05 pm

I did this on Sat, that bog isn't fun :wink:

Also there when following the Walk Highlands route when you turn left from the landrover track there is a (new?) barbed wire fence a couple of 100 feet up the slopes, I didn't fancy ripping my trousers on this so had to double back to the track and walk back to where the barbed fence starts
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Postby coachmacca » Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 am

Bay Bloke wrote:I did this on Sat, that bog isn't fun :wink:

Also there when following the Walk Highlands route when you turn left from the landrover track there is a (new?) barbed wire fence a couple of 100 feet up the slopes, I didn't fancy ripping my trousers on this so had to double back to the track and walk back to where the barbed fence starts

We turned back, not in a great mood for the hills to start with and the wet , clag, rain etc just made us decide "another day".

Good walk further up?
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Bay Bloke » Mon May 13, 2013 1:03 pm

coachmacca wrote: We turned back, not in a great mood for the hills to start with and the wet , clag, rain etc just made us decide "another day".

Good walk further up?

I'd love to say yes but in all honesty I found it pretty horrendous. Extremely boggy for most of the way with no path. The diversion and the barbed fence didn't help my mood either...

I then bailed out after Beinn Tulaichean as (with me being a big feardy) I decided it was more windy than I was comfortable with.

I hope you enjoy it more than me when you go back :lol:
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Fudgie » Mon May 13, 2013 1:14 pm

You can do it from the A82 which isn't anywhere near as boggy. You start at the same car park you would use for An Caisteal and cut off the path early on. I'll add a link to my GPX file so you can see what way I did it:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22019
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby coachmacca » Mon May 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Fudgie wrote:You can do it from the A82 which isn't anywhere near as boggy. You start at the same car park you would use for An Caisteal and cut off the path early on. I'll add a link to my GPX file so you can see what way I did it:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22019

Cheers Fudgie , I saw this route and considered going back this way as frankly I cant see me ever going back the boggy way!

:roll:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby lindsayh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Anyone know if this diversion is still on as I was thinking of doing the hill from the Loch Voil end?
lindsayh

Corbetts:26
Donalds:3

Postby nzt2011 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Yeah it's still there. Did Stob Binnean and Ben More from the South on Tuesday, back down to the glen between Stob Binnean and Beinn Tulaichean and picked up the landrover track. I've done Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain from the bealach between the two and cut out the steep start....okay not as great a walk by going up and over, but it was easier and the landrover track is dry!
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Postby chrisandbex » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Diversion still there but currently pretty dry at present and feet stayed dry.
chrisandbex
Mountain Walker

Munros:180   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:36   

Postby simon-b » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:29 pm

lindsayh wrote:Anyone know if this diversion is still on as I was thinking of doing the hill from the Loch Voil end?

I did this May, including the barbed wire fence crossing, and ended up in persistent rain and a gale, but got back through the bogs in one piece. So it shouldn't be too bad in decent weather. Perhaps the map of the diversion here might be useful; heading north uphill earlier than I did could miss the barbed wire fence:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31636
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion